Model Cars Magazine Forum

1965 Chevrolet Shorty School Bus

Well I have finally finished this bus. Its been about 9 months. I started with an ARII Isuzu Bonnet bus, cut the front end off of it and grafted a 1965 Chevy truck nose on. I then shortened it by removing 2 of the windows, one in front of the wheels, and one after. I wanted the Short Bus look. I had to convert it from right hand to left hand drive and it was 1/32 scale. Its now 1/25th.

The interior is all scratch built with a stove top, Dorm fridge, dresser and bed. The comforter is a Kleenex that I used thinned green paint on, when I did that it wrinkled up perfectly to look like a comforter. 

The bus was a curbside, but I put a regular nose on it, so I put a mid 80's small block chevy in it. I figured the original engine would have long ago died and the Hippy that owns it would just put in whatever he could find. 

I wanted the "Old Bus" look, so I weathered it to look like it has been around the block a few times. I did not want the "Hippy" flowers and tie die look, but an old worn bus look. 

While it is not perfect, it was a fun challenge to do this much work to it. Its the first full weathered model I have done. 

So, enjoy, moments welcome. 

DSCN6870.JPG

DSCN6871.JPG

DSCN6872.JPG

DSCN6858.JPG

DSCN6859.JPG

DSCN6860.JPG

DSCN6861.JPG

DSCN6862.JPG

DSCN6863.JPG

DSCN6864.JPG

DSCN6865.JPG

DSCN6866.JPG

DSCN6867.JPG

DSCN6868.JPG

DSCN6869.JPG

Very nice work on this one.  Did you consider curtains for the windows?  Of course a free-loving Hippie, would not really be concerned with too much privacy.  I really need to get one of these and build one for myself.  Thanks for sharing with us.

4 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

Very nice work on this one.  Did you consider curtains for the windows?  Of course a free-loving Hippie, would not really be concerned with too much privacy.  I really need to get one of these and build one for myself.  Thanks for sharing with us.

I totally forgot Curains. However a little background. I was living in a bus when I started this build. I bought some land over in Yakima Wa. and we moved onto it with the paln of putting a house on and live in the bus while we waited. This ended up taking a lot longer than we wanted and we sold the bus and bought an RV because the bus had no insulation and instead of curtains, we used that mylar covered bubble wrap stuff to block the heat in the summer and help keep heat in in the winter.

So, our bus never really had curtains, so I guess I forgot them on this one.

Pictures are of our 1985 Blue Bird bus with our new 2017 Keystone Bullet Premier 30 REPR in the background

IMG_3280 - Copy.JPG

IMG_3265.JPG

IMG_3274 - Copy.JPG

• 2 weeks later...