Model Cars Magazine Forum

What are your Bucket List Kits?

There's a few kits that I want that always seem to elude me. The AMT 1966 Mercury COmet Cyclone. I'd even go for the promo kit that came out. But on the promo kits, prices are always crazy, or the kit is missing parts, or is damaged. And I have yet to find the full AMT kit for sale. I figure, much like the original issue AMT AMC Matador X kit, I'll either stumble across a reasonably priced one, or it'll get reissued.

Need to build a replica of the car we had when I was  growing up.

amt 66.jpg

amt 66-2.jpg

1979 September - 004 - Cyclone.jpg

45 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

And I have yet to find the full AMT kit for sale. I figure I'll either stumble across a reasonably priced one, or it'll get reissued.

Need to build a replica of the car we had when I was  growing up.

amt 66.jpg

amt 66-2.jpg

It'll never be reissued. It was updated to the '67, which became the AWB funny car, which is still around. That's as close as you'll get (unless Moebius or Trumpeter or someone does an all new one). 

Last year I came across a cheap, very restorable glue bomb '67 with a hole in the hood, one missing bucket seat, and the center insert part missing from the grille. Was able to snag a replacement grille from Modelhaus on their final day sale, and it comes with the insert already installed, so I got that covered. I can fix the hole in the hood. I guess I'll have to sacrifice the seats from a "new" one to get it on the shelf. And so it goes. 

(Why bother? Because the original body is shaped so much better than the new one.) 

Luckily I've about run out of grails. A good '66-69 Falcon coupe, a '60 Ford pickup, and a '66 Skylark would about do it for me - as it would for a lot of people. I'm at the point where I'd just as soon get them in resin. 

If we add promos to the mix, a '65 Fury hardtop would round things out (I'd rather have that as a promo for some reason).

4 hours ago, Dave Ambrose said:

I’ve got an odd one, the Revell “Everything is Go” kit.  Haven’t seen one in ages. 

I remember building one as a kid. The only thing that survived was the capsule with it's escape jato boom, still have it in the drawer, somewhere.  

Edited by magicmustang

For the longest time, it was the Lief Erickson spaceship,  and many thanks to Round 2 for bringing it back.    Right now, I think it would probably Tamiya's large scale Lotus 49 kit.   Any of the large scale concept cars like the OSI Scarabeo or the Jaguar Piranha would be right up there as would the Bandai Mangusta.  

I do look at that large scale Lotus Indy Turbine that Bandai did when it pops up on eBay and think, "Someday..maybe...when I have more money than brains."

2 hours ago, Eshaver said:

I could say all the annuals to about 1970 and then there is the one , the ONLY , the Monogram Futuresta .

Monogram's Futuresta and box.jpg

Agreed...Ive been shopping online for years and almost never seen this kit built or unbuilt...quite rare.    

Edited by styromaniac

Steve , Mark Orr, aka Disabled Modeler sent me a partly assembled one several years back to replace the one I lost during Hurricane Agnes we had in Richmond in 1972 . I had all the annals from 1959 onward . That floor kept us out for three weeks . When I was allowed to return , there was NOTHING , I mean NOTHING to salvage . The stench was overwhelming . I managed to save a couple , a 64 Ford Galaxy and a Ford Ranchero ......

I would like to find the AMT Gas Ronda long nose Mustang flip top funny car. Or, better yet would be a new tool of the long nose Mustang as an accurate version with the proper frame and interior. Ronda's actual flip top car didn't have a stretched nose. That version was a few years earlier. It was one of the many AMT kits that used the Ohio George 33 Willys SOHC engine.

Interesting thing about the Haulin' Hearse to me was it was the only Jo-Han kit I found that had a Hemi with a Torqueflite instead of a four speed. Fine for their Super Stocks, but not accurate for the nitro burning funny cars like the Ramchargers'  '64 Dodge and the funny car version of the Petty '64 Plymouth. Of course both of those kits were inaccurate because of the model year but still loved 'em. I actually bought several Haulin' Hearses back in the day just to kitbash that engine with those other JoHan kits. Of course, they are still easily found if you care to spend the money. 

I had so many of the NASA kits from Revell or Aurora that I can't remember all of them, but I would love to have them all again. 

19 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I seem to remember building one of those when that kit was brand new. What I most remember about it was the huge amount of platform framing and girders and guardrails or whatever they were. I seem to remember them being a nightmare to brush-paint with Testor enamel. :angry:

I remember the same experience. Many tiny parts of all different colors. Still, I picked one up at a local auction last year, and I think I will give it another go at some point.

19 hours ago, Eshaver said:

Steve , Mark Orr, aka Disabled Modeler sent me a partly assembled one several years back to replace the one I lost during Hurricane Agnes we had in Richmond in 1972 . I had all the annals from 1959 onward . That floor kept us out for three weeks . When I was allowed to return , there was NOTHING , I mean NOTHING to salvage . The stench was overwhelming . I managed to save a couple , a 64 Ford Galaxy and a Ford Ranchero ......

I remember Agnes well! My brother and I were home for the summer our freshman year at Va Tech...we spent a whole night down in the basement at our home in McLean bailing water out of a storm drain in a stairwell trying to keep the flood water from running into the downstairs storage area...fortunately we were able to minimize the damage.That storm spawned tornadoes all up and down the Ohio valley and caused so much flood damage along the Susquehanna river valley in Pennsylvania the upper Chesapeake Bay had peoples lawn furniture floating around for months. The agricultural run off was blamed for polluting the Susquehanna Flats grass beds and nearly killing off the striped bass.Those fish didn't come back to decent numbers again for almost 20 years.

Edited by styromaniac