Model Cars Magazine Forum

If I Ran Revell....

sure fire way to get youngsters interested in building models:

1  design a "must have" app for their phones

2  include app in model box but it ONLY works if model is built.

if the right app is picked their parents would pay 100 bucks for a kit/app combo...of course the kits must have a prepainted body...lol

3 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

I'm just saying that the interests expressed on this board may not necessarily represent the alpha and omega of car modeling.

It really doesn't, this forum is made up older skewing builders that really only have interest in older American subjects, and this forum can not be used to judge the interest of automotive model builders outside of it and the USA.

If my idea would work for newer models and/or foreign tooling in Revell's line, great. Let's hear some suggestions on which ones. 

Yes, 20 or 30 years from now we'll all be dead. So what? There are still plenty of kits to be sold till then. And Revell and others seem to be bringing out models of interest to the people who actually buy and build them. Round 2 seems to be staying in business pretty well reissuing 50-year-old tooling. 

44 minutes ago, mod3l Lover said:

Kinda interesting to think what that kit would even sell for today!?!?

David S.

I would buy it if done correctly simply because of scale, but there is not or will never be a 24/25 scale tri five that I will buy again, been there done all that and its time to move on

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

In all seriousness, this sounds fine as far as it goes.

But the real overarching question I'd ask if I ran Revell would be "what percentages of what age groups have any interest in building ANYTHING that requires manual skills and effort?"

Trying to create a market for something that your target demographic has no general interest in is an exercise in futility unless you have the strongest marketing imaginable...and car model companies seem to have about the worst. Most people outside the hobby have no idea it even exists.

A lot has been written about younger people having much less interest in cars overall, seeing them as nothing but transportation appliances, and wholly lacking the sense of romance and freedom we old geezers attach to them.

When I was a kid, I would have had very little interest in building models of refrigerators and washers, and if that's really the way cars are perceived by most of an entire generation, then significant downsizing might be the smart order of business for any model car company (before the market evaporates completely, as it did while GM and others were snoozing)...or at least focus primarily on the group immediately following the rapidly dying-off "boomers".

I'm not being negative, or bashing young people.

What I AM saying is that hard, cold reality needs to be the central pillar of any business plan...not a warped perception of it, or wishful thinking.

Spot on

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

In all seriousness, this sounds fine as far as it goes.

But the real overarching question I'd ask if I ran Revell would be "what percentages of what age groups have any interest in building ANYTHING that requires manual skills and effort?"

Trying to create a market for something that your target demographic has no general interest in is an exercise in futility unless you have the strongest marketing imaginable...and car model companies seem to have about the worst. Most people outside the hobby have no idea it even exists.

A lot has been written about younger people having much less interest in cars overall, seeing them as nothing but transportation appliances, and wholly lacking the sense of romance and freedom we old geezers attach to them.

When I was a kid, I would have had very little interest in building models of refrigerators and washers, and if that's really the way cars are perceived by most of an entire generation, then significant downsizing might be the smart order of business for any model car company (before the market evaporates completely, as it did while GM and others were snoozing)...or at least focus primarily on the group immediately following the rapidly dying-off "boomers".

I'm not being negative, or bashing young people.

What I AM saying is that hard, cold reality needs to be the central pillar of any business plan...not a warped perception of it, or wishful thinking.

The way those Gundam kits keep flying off the shelves suggests the kids are still interested in making things, and some of those are not cheap.

Yes, I've seen those articles too, and invariably, there's a response from younger enthusiasts that says they're baloney.  If anything, they complain about how when they try to join the established clubs, the old guard tells them to get off their lawn.

Back in the day is there anyone here who actually went "Oh man, I wish I had a model of those cool new Chevy IIs"?  Most cars were boring appliances back then too.  Things like hot rods, racing cars, muscle cars and dragsters were what got our attention.

No doubt you remember back in the '70s when between the energy crisis, pollution and safety regs, people were predicting the demise of enthusiast cars.  Obviously, that didn't happen.  I've even seen an article that argued that the demands for higher fuel efficiency are what's driven the technology behind today's high performance engines.   What's more troubling is a trend among some groups that, like guns, cars are something nice people shouldn't be interested in, but it remains to be seen how big this trend is, and how long it lasts.

I totally agree that there has to be some market research, and I said as much in my first post, but I think there is enough interest to justify taking a look to see if the numbers work.

On 12/29/2018 at 7:36 PM, Richard Bartrop said:

The way those Gundam kits keep flying off the shelves suggests the kids are still interested in making things, and some of those are not cheap...

Yeah, and some of the craftsmanship is really great on those, but the genre is pure fantasy. Never-never land. Identifying with supermachinebeings that an individual could never aspire to be in reality.

Maybe I see things oddly, but the model cars I build are things I would really do if funds and time permitted, and some are very close representations of things I actually HAVE done, or owned, or worked on. To me, it's an entirely different psychological mindset that drives Gundam model-building, gaming, everything that's pure fantasy.

And who's buying them? My local hobby outlets don't stock much in the genre. I understand they're very popular in some Asian markets, but here? I really don't know.

On 12/29/2018 at 7:36 PM, Richard Bartrop said:

What's more troubling is a trend among some groups that, like guns, cars are something nice people shouldn't be interested in, but it remains to be seen how big this trend is, and how long it lasts...

Yes, there is that. And if much evidence out there can be believed, there's a general and widespread ignorance of and lack of interest in physical reality, how things work and are actually made. There IS growing interest in the "maker" phenomenon, but it seems to be primarily focused on what can be designed in a virtual (computer) setting, and "made" by 3D or other hands-off processes, so I don't know how that carries over to building models the old way...or if it even does.

I really don't know enough about people's pastime interests in general these days to have much of useful validity to say...other than the reality of the potential market would need to be investigated thoroughly by people who interpret data better than the guys who said "sure, you really need to build the Edsel; it can't miss".

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

They do seem to be popular among the anime and scifi crowd, and however you want to interpret it, it still works out to people buying a box of plastic parts so they can stick them together.  Again, nothing really new here.  Fantasy and scifi have been a modeling staple frm the earliest days,  and those Star Trek kits have been a license to print money for a long time.  The important takeaway is that young people are willing to spend money to build replicas of subjects that interest them, and the hobby shops here always seem to have an aisle devoted to giant robots.

I have no idea what people want either, and there have been a few recent car model offerings that have left me going, "Seriously?  That's what you thought was worth cutting a set of moulds for?"  All the more reason to do some research.

5 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Revell doesn't have any AMC full kits in their line. I have no objection to Fords or Mopars. '66 Belvedere and Coronet, maybe? What could be done with the Fords in their line? '67-'68 Mustang hardtop? 

Galaxies, in full detail with separate chassis and separate interior side panels. Preferably 63- 67

Edited by Timonator

5 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

And the industry is also catering to the same people who built model cars when they were kids.  Companies like Round 2 are trying to recreate the 1960s as much as possible.  You don't have to be Nostradamus to see that this isn't going to last.  If they want to stay in business, they are going to have to attract some new blood.

Muscle cars are just the flavour of the month.  Back in the 90s and early 2000s, it was all about the 50s.  Monogram an Heller both released a bunch of 30s classics in the 70s and 80s, and back in the 50s, it was all about the brass era.  Don't be too surprised if the malaise era becomes the next big thing.

Round two is trying to recreate the 60s with the same kits that were available back then. Have you built a Tamiya kit ? 

Muscle cars will always be in style. Just like the way the the 30 Ford model a kit was a huge hit for street rodders.

Yes, I have, and Tamiya is a very good example of a company that still tries to do new subjects.  Last I checked there were no muscle cars or Model As in their catalog.   It's the American model industry that seems bent on chasing the same customers that have been building kits since the '60s

Edited by Richard Bartrop

4 minutes ago, Timonator said:

...Muscle cars will always be in style. Just like the way the the 30 Ford model a kit was a huge hit for street rodders.

And I WOULD bet my own money on a '26-'27 Ford body on the Revell '28-'31 frame, a GOOD '34 3-window version of the AMT 5-window kit, and a bullet-nose Studebaker...Moebius of course.

The market for these in the States is HERE NOW, but they won't be around forever. Only the Stude would take a whole new toolset, too. The other two are easy.

Just now, Richard Bartrop said:

Yes, I have, and Tamiya is a very good example of a company that still tries to do new subjects.  Last I checked there were no muscle cars or Model As in their catalog.   It's the American model industry that seems bent on chasing the same customers that have been building kits since the '60s

Agreed, I don't know where we went wrong.  I look at the pictures of the new Revell Chevelle which looks like a great kit by current muscle car kit standards but I look closer and wonder why the front lower control arms are molded in with the bottom of the center front chassis and the rear control arms are attached to the rear sway bar.

2 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

And I WOULD bet my own money on a '26-'27 Ford body on the Revell '28-'31 frame, a GOOD '34 3-window version of the AMT 5-window kit, and a bullet-nose Studebaker...Moebius of course.

The market for these in the States is HERE NOW, but they won't be around forever. Only the Stude would take a whole new toolset, too. The other two are easy.

33-34 three window would be really cool

If I ran Revell I would be sure what my customer base is and what that customer base wants and then I would put all effort in to making the bast possible product for the best possible price for the customer.
I would also try and use as much PR/advertisments and product tie-ins as possible. Make the LOGO and the NAME familiar to as many people as possible and get it placed on everything I could.

From my Norwegian standpoint I would get a deal with our new global GOD wich is Elon Musk and I would make 1:1 figurinekits of him so that people can kneel and prey before Oh-Holy-Mighty every day and I would be sure that the Revell logo would go on anything that is Tesla related.

Dirty old farts that want to have dirty plastic kits of the dirty old fossilecars they used to drive in the old dirty days will not be tolarated. We will only make green, organic, fairtrade and sustainable products in the future. Mostly digital 3d model kits of Tesla products for the customers device and fullscale figurine kits of Oh-Holy-Great-One with sustainable, organic foldaway shrine.

Oh, yeah....if you wondered what I was on about. I am one of you old farts that are waiting to be rounded up in a pen and shot at dawn togheter with all the dirty old cars and modelkits. Plastics are quikly going out of flavour with the modern world and our lifestyle does not fit in anymore.

3 minutes ago, Atmobil said:

If I ran Revell I would be sure what my customer base is and what that customer base wants and then I would put all effort in to making the bast possible product for the best possible price for the customer.
I would also try and use as much PR/advertisments and product tie-ins as possible. Make the LOGO and the NAME familiar to as many people as possible and get it placed on everything I could.

From my Norwegian standpoint I would get a deal with our new global GOD wich is Elon Musk and I would make 1:1 figurinekits of him so that people can kneel and prey before Oh-Holy-Mighty every day and I would be sure that the Revell logo would go on anything that is Tesla related.

Dirty old farts that want to have dirty plastic kits of the dirty old fossilecars they used to drive in the old dirty days will not be tolarated. We will only make green, organic, fairtrade and sustainable products in the future. Mostly digital 3d model kits of Tesla products for the customers device and fullscale figurine kits of Oh-Holy-Great-One with sustainable, organic foldaway shrine.

Oh, yeah....if you wondered what I was on about. I am one of you old farts that are waiting to be rounded up in a pen and shot at dawn togheter with all the dirty old cars and modelkits. Plastics are quikly going out of flavour with the modern world and our lifestyle does not fit in anymore.

that was funny , f  elon musk

30 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

And I would happily buy any of those, and I will probably buy more model A and Deuce roadsters.

I'd personally like to see more prewar classics.  I mean, why would you not want one of these beauties on your shelf?

1930_Cord_L29_Phaeton_-_fvr.jpg

Of course, people have their own opionions on this.

4 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

And I would happily buy any of those, and I will probably buy more model A and Deuce roadsters.

I'd personally like to see more prewar classics.  I mean, why would you not want one of these beauties on your shelf?

Revell has at their disposal several prewar high end cars like that, and rarely reissues them. Sorry, those kits are still cheap on eBay (Cord, etc.), even the original issues., which means there's not a ton of demand for them. Good for buyers, though.

Most of us would like to see the results of market research done on behalf of Moebius, Revell and Round 2.  I have always liked the full-sized bucket seat models and the muscle cars.  I've wanted a Ford GT40 since I was a kid,  but also appreciate the styling of the late 1920s to mid-1930s, the fastback GM cars of the 1940s, the large hardtops of the 1950s and 1960s, and the early Nomads.  I own GM luxury cars of the '60s-'90s, and an El Camino I bought new (none are in show condition).  How would someone such as me be categorized as a potential model car buyer?  My nephews like anything fast, especially later cars since they can't really relate to the cars their Dad and I liked growing up.  They aren't really into model cars.  It has to be difficult to please most potential model car buyers.

I'm in agreement with Richard Bartrop,  there needs to be an effort to see what a younger audience is interested in,  abd that would include Gen-Xers like myself (I'm 42). One movement that seems to gaining traction over the last year that I would look at and maybe even partner with if I were at Revell, Round 2, or had any period tooling that may have survived but no longer owned by the company they were made for, is Radwood.

https://www.radwood.co/

https://www.instagram.com/radwoodofficial/

This focuses more on the 80's and 90's and if you look at that Instagram link, you'll see cars that would likely get laughed out of other events, short of the World of Wheels shows. Round 2 should have plenty of valid tooling and who ever has the Revell and Monogram tooling of vehicles from that era would as well, why not try and set up a licensing agreement like Revell had with Hot Rod Magazine/Peterson Publishing back in tbe 80's and 90's.

Otherwise, I still want to see a XJ Cherokee model kit offered before I die, they'll likely sell quite well if marketed right (LHS, HL, Michaels, Jeep parts houses, ect). Look at the number of XJ builds in the Scale R/C truck market, you can get 2 different generations of XJ in lexan and there are "hardbodies" (ABS or comparable plastics) coming to market.