Model Cars Magazine Forum

Childhood models that you replaced in adulthood.

Growing up in the 70's, I built dozens of models. Among all those kits, there are a few that stand out in my memory a couple of which I was able to acquire and build.

The first is AMT's 32 Vicky. I was lucky enough to find the same version that I had back in the day.

32Vicky00.jpg.3e8dfbaaa799a850c3a1aff075baf178.jpg

As a teenager all those years ago, I would have built the hot-rod version. Recently, my more "mature" tastes prompted me to build the stock version.

32Vicky19.thumb.jpg.4ca11af32db0ccfd16bdafaf8cb10af0.jpg

Among the few bits that I remember about this kit, that gawd-awful spare wheel assembly stands out. I believe that I left it off when I built it the first time around. On this build, I raided my parts box and mad a suitable replacement.

32Vicky22.thumb.jpg.c3fde2191c020bc6023c5c49e3dc6ec7.jpg

One of my other nostalgia builds is the 53 Studebaker. Originally built around the same time period as the Vicky, this is one of the ones that I do remember completing. I so proud of the way it turned out that I actually entered it into contest. The only thing I won at that contest was a revised sense of my skill level.

53_Stude13.thumb.jpg.e121fbfa0cf9f6cee4fd807020e09944.jpg

David G.

1 hour ago, Can-Con said:

This was to "recreate" the last car I had built in BC right before we moved back to NB way back in 1974.

The original was brush painted with Testors bottle paints in the same colors. This one turned out much better. ;)

IMG 0962

Absolutely beautiful! :wub:

On 1/15/2019 at 10:53 PM, THarrison351 said:

These are the ones I have pictures of on file:

AMT 1969 Cougar. I still have the engine of the first one I built back in the seventies. Painted it Testors competition orange. This turned out much better.

IMG_0017-vi.jpg

AMT 1957 Chevy. Nope, nothing left but memories. I did not paint it, but I remember all the chrome. This stock version is pretty good. I like the extra engine.

IMG_0033-vi.jpg

AMT 1955 Chevy. Nothing but memories here too. I built the first version as the pickup truck gasser. I brush painted it black. This is better.

IMG_0041-vi.jpg

AMT 1964 Impala. One of the first glue kits I ever had. Brush painted or tried to, Pactra purple. I'm planning to redo this one again because the paint damaged the plastic.

IMG_0008-vi.jpg

Monogram 55 Badman. I did the Badman twice and the street version. This is so much better.

I have probably another dozen in boxes to build that would replace childhood models.

Edited by Tiger89
Beautiful, especially the Cougar. Mine, done last week, didn't turn out as nice as yours. Badman is a kit I remember well.

22 minutes ago, FredRPG said:

One that I would like to rebuild but can't find was a 70 something Charger that had an option for a station wagon like rear addition. Probably MPC as that's what most of my early builds were. Any leads?

The MPC '73 and '74 Charger annuals had that. 

Image result for mpc 73 charger

Image result for mpc 74 charger

2 hours ago, Can-Con said:

The MPC '73 and '74 Charger annuals had that. 

Image result for mpc 73 charger

Image result for mpc 74 charger

I always wanted that 74 Charger kit as a kit but when I had earned the money I think I bought something else at K mart don't remember seeing it again. Now look what they are worth...

I built models in the 70s through the 80s. The Monogram curbsides and MPCs annuals were always my favorites. eBay has been a boon for me buying the kits that I had back then. I love the Monograms because they were simple to build and survived being played with. The 911 was my favorite. I have bought and built a bunch in the last few years and have several more waiting to be built.

modelPorscheBrightGreenFront.jpg

ModelPorsche911GreyFront.jpg

ModelPorsche2018BrightYellow.PNG

As an adult, I started putting back together my collection as a kid. I loved showrods and drag cars. I replaced all the TD and Barris kits. I also replaced a lot of the really wild showrooms. 

Here is my room way back then. There was a high shelf that lined the top perimeter. It was filled with models end to end.  I replaced almost all of the part in this picture except for the Datsun truck which I still have but has been undergoing a rebuild. (Stalled for 20 years.)

2vbMWhKixv9MWC.jpgHosted on Fotki

This is some of what I have re-accumulated. I build a lot less now and a lot slower. Many of what you see in the case are build-ups bought on line. The Horn Toad is my only true survivor. 

case3-vi.jpg

collection13-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Here are a couple I have rebuilt as an adult:

goodfullleft-vi.jpg

Deals575-vi.jpg

Edited by Scott Colmer

I started modelling in the early 60's and still have all my models in various condition.

I did replace the AMT 1966 and 1968 Ford Galaxies as these are beyond saving. Also got the AMT version of the MPC 1967 Pontiac GTO to restore the drag version after I used the original body to graft a Monkeymobile  front end to it.

Most of what I built when I was younger were the 1/24 Monogram muscle cars. Very few survived. I have replaced them all... some a couple times over... and plan to build them at some point.

I have yet to find the tiny firebird, corvette and dragster I used to have though.

All of mine are reissues, although the Johan kits were all early reissues. 

AMT 37 Chevy Gasser

AMT Ohio George 33 Willys and MPC 68 Mustang Gassers

Johan Pinto Funny

Johan Challenger Funny

AMT 32 Vicky-with black Drag version box art

Johan Sox and Martin  71 Cuda Pro Stock

MPC Dyno Don Cougar funny

AMT Ivo front engine dragster

Revell/Monogram Snake and Mongoose double kit Cuda and Duster funny cars

AMT 68 Shelby GT500

I would love to find  an AMT Gas Ronda long nose funny car. I have only seen one on eBay-after it sold. The SOHC in that one looks to be a lot like the one in the Ohio George 33 Willys, which of course was reissued. I wonder if the rest of the tooling still exists.  

On 1/22/2019 at 2:23 AM, ChrisBcritter said:

^^^ Every Palmer kit I ever built (except the '40 Ford sedan).

When I was little, my grandma ran a 5 & 10. She stocked those Palmer kits and so that's what I got for Christmas and birthdays for years. I loved them at the time because I rarely got models. Of course they weren't well designed, but a kid has lower standards. LOL

• I was a nut for those Renwal 66 Revival kits...all long since gone. I have newly acquired all except for the Jordan. That's a tough one to find at a reasonable price. Also JoHan Mercedes Benz kits. I have a bunch in the stash. Monograms 30 Fords and the Revell early Ford's too. Of course IMC and the AMT boxed Heller double kits. Also found a double kit of Wilhelm's Wonder and Tognotti's T which I am afraid to start. AMT Barris built ZZR too of which I found a glue bomb of that is undergoing resto.
  •  

One kit I'd like to have another crack at was the 1/12 Otaki Mustang Mach1 

A birthday present from my father when I was 6 or 7. Being the version with the electric motor in the engine block and working lights, it was way beyond me at the time. 

I see them come up on the bay occasionally but I can't justify the price. Last one I seen on there a couple weeks ago was twice what I paid for my 1/1 Trans Am. :blink:

It's been reissued a few times by Arii and Doyousha  but without the lights and motor, just not the same.

Image result for otaki 1/12 mustang

Edited by Can-Con

One kit I had when I was a kid which was in large scale, maybe 1/8th or 1/12th was an oddball which I can't find to this day. It was a trike but, the rear was a corvette, maybe 71 or 72 with a springer front end off a motorcycle. I don't remember who make the kit but, most likely AMT or Ertle

On 1/17/2019 at 4:01 PM, peekay said:

These are the ones I just HAD to have again. I haven't built any of them yet, I like them just as much as they are:

4fa508beeacd198f82_zpsdf05aa80-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

e2ab8378ac9af68bb0_zpse71acaff-vi.jpg

6a98b02d2ce90e8c22_zpsd3e0db8b-vi.jpg

46b558910eb14e6290_zps9e64366d-vi.jpg

9e90601fb5cc958f2e_zps262fbaa4-vi.jpg

03a07765bc183f9d62_zpsfceaa682-vi.jpg

68922780a749bfb83b_zps4759584c-vi.jpg

I just bought the Big T and looking forward to building it. The little T came out after the big T because they thought most people wouldn't be able to afford the large scale kit so they introduced the kit in the Little T version

CIMG1293.JPG