Model Cars Magazine Forum

Krylon or Rust-Oleum for primer

I LOVE the cheap Walmart primers, when I can find them. My local still has the flat black, but hasn't had white or gray for years. A few months ago I was able to order 6 cans of each off their website, but even that is hit or miss as far as what they have at any given time. 

Plastikote Gray T-35. I've been using it for years, covers well and dries fast. No crazing issues like I've had in the past with Duplicolor, but I airbrush everything now so that's not as much an issue either.

Rustoleum's Red Oxide Primer I've had very good results right out of the can on chassis' where it's needed. I don't worry about crazing if it happens on that as it's just the floor pan and not the body.

14 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I LOVE the cheap Walmart primers, when I can find them. My local still has the flat black, but hasn't had white or gray for years. A few months ago I was able to order 6 cans of each off their website, but even that is hit or miss as far as what they have at any given time. 

That is interesting, all the stores in my area havent had it stocked in a few years now either, just flat black,   I like to use that primer for times when I needed a grey in that lighter shade for like interiors and what have you, in my opinion it worked better as paint did it did as a primer, or I did use it when I did body work , it was great for that instead of wasting the good primer.

Edited by martinfan5

Tamiya, Duplicolor, Testors, PlastiKote.  I use these for the fine spray pattern and short dry time. All of these have a wide recoat time, so I never worry about lifting when using these products.

Walmart Homeshades gray works well, if you follow the recoat times as indicated in the directions.

• 3 years later...

Clearly Tamiya colors over Rustoleum primer is a bad option because I've seen a few posts now speaking about how it back fired for various people. So the answer as to why or why not is simple, they aren't compatible. When I want solvent based primer I use Mr Primer Surfacer 1000, which is lacquer primer made for plastic models, resin etc. ( I didn't say Mr Surfacer, I said Mr Primer Surfacer, there is a difference according to their own web site). No guessing if it will work, Never an issue. The same would hold true for Tamiya primer.

Krylon primer used to be pretty decent except the coat was thicker than with model paints. But it's been so long since I've used it I can't recommend it because it could have changed in the last 20 years.

Edited by Dave G.

I don't understand some folks' obsession with cheap, off-brand primers.  With prices going up on everything, the difference in cost between a gamble and something you know will work isn't nearly as much as it used to be.  You've got probably twenty bucks or more in the kit to begin with, more money in supplies and possibly other parts, and then there's paint.  Not to mention hours of work in everything...why risk all of that to save a couple of bucks on primer?

Leave the Krylon for the household stuff.  As for Rust-Oleum, they've been killing off Testors via the death of a thousand cuts...why give them even a dime?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1