Model Cars Magazine Forum

1983 Volkswagen Caddy Mk1

echoxrayniner

Reckon this is my first transkit that I actually finished, saying that glancing back at the pile of dusty resin bodies I've yet to even clean. But by God that Revell kit is a neat little one to work with, complex as all hell yet easy and fun to put together. Had to do a fair bit of guess work with the chassis, interior and even the exhaust piping to fit the Caddy(or Rabbit Pickup for the Americans) body, but even so it was easy-peasy. Felt like it was a Revell production of its own, that's how detailed and well put together the C1 Models transkit is. The only problem I encountered with the whole thing were the tail lights being slightly too large, cut them down like six times and they still hardly fit - to the point that I forgot to reapply the chrome backing again, making them look all smudgy and stuff.

Used the quad light GTI grille, which is one of those things folks love to do in real life - swap out the single unit grille for the dual unit one, slap on a GTI emblem just for funsies and wham, twice as attractive. One weird little detail, the Dutch plates that come with the kit aren't actually right, go figure. We stopped using those blue ones for new cars back in like 1978, but ah well. Gonna buy me another one in the near future, whip up that awesomely weird VW Rabbit Pickup "Sports Truck".

vwcaddy83-4.jpg

vwcaddy83-6.jpg

vwcaddy83-5.jpg

vwcaddy83-9.jpg

vwcaddy83-12.jpg

vwcaddy83-13.jpg

vwcaddy83-15.jpg

vwcaddy83-17.jpg

Very nice clean work........

I have to tell a story about my brothers real VW pick up he drove to school at OSU......the car had a bad water leak around the passenger door. It stayed wet on the passenger floor. One day my brother picked up a big bag of bird seed for our Mom. He didn't realize the bird seed had a small tear.....and seed spilled out. 

Weeks later he came by to pick me up and go out.....he had a beautiful green field of wild grasses and flowers growing on the passenger floor!! Not what VW had in mind !! 

Wow. This is way cool! You've done a great job with that trans kit. 

When I was a kid, I had a Mk1. I always wanted a set of those P-slot alloy wheels, but couldn't afford them. Are those wheels part pf the Revell kit or part of the trans kit? 

On 2/20/2019 at 1:26 AM, beeRS said:

Wow. This is way cool! You've done a great job with that trans kit. 

When I was a kid, I had a Mk1. I always wanted a set of those P-slot alloy wheels, but couldn't afford them. Are those wheels part pf the Revell kit or part of the trans kit? 

Pirelli wheels come in the Pirelli version of the Golf that was released by RevellAG last summer.