Model Cars Magazine Forum

'70s Paint Jobs

Pure bliss for me. This is where I started. Thanks for posting.

As Mr Trendsetta68 has shown, some of these can be done in scale. It's just a much smaller subject area. This is something I  hope to try to concentrate on with my painting skills this year. I've got a few ideas.

Let me preface by stating just how much I abhor Dayton wheels ----- overused and boring , not to mention that they're NOT period-correct . In my 49 years -- 32 of which were spent growing up a stone's-throw from the world famous Whittier Boulevard cruising scenes (yes , plural) --- and I never saw a classic Lowrider shod with those stupid wheels ; 13" Cragars , 14" Appletons , 13"-14" chromed-reverse , or ornate wheel covers were it...

...not a Dayton in sight .

With that unsolicited diatribe out of the way ---- I positively LOVE those wild paint schemes ! Not only the Lowriders , but Muscle cars , fifties cars , 60's fullsize cars , pickups , and vans as well . Certainly , a classy car such as the Gypsy Rose '64 Impala (and its predecessor-by-the-same-name --- a 1960 model if I remember...) bests the best 80's or 90's barf-o paint schemes .

Keep 'em coming !

You have to admire the paint work that these 1:1 builders put into their cars. I have seen several builders here on the forum displaying similar builds with some paint work that could rival many of these 1:1 cars. I never get tired of looking at them.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2019 at 11:09 AM, espo said:

I never get tired of looking at them.  

Sorry to those that may not like this style. I'm not ready to let this thread die. If anyone would care to add to it I'll be looking. Custom or low-rider.

As an aside, the last pic, to me, is mind boggling. It's amazing how nice of an effect a black and white paint job can have. It could be somewhat hypnotic.

seventys01.jpeg

seventys03.jpeg

seventys04.jpeg

seventys05.jpeg

seventys06.jpeg

seventys07.jpeg

seventys08.jpeg

seventys09.jpeg

seventys10.jpeg

Edited by DPNM

I am always amazed when I watch someone create one of these paint jobs in scale.  I will probably never try one because I have a problem visioning in the negative required to do these.  Not negative as in bad, but as in where not to tape to get a certain pattern.  I have a few simple ideas I want to try on a '72 Impala, but each time I get close to doing it so far I have backed away.  

Tho this is a to-each-his-own subject, I will admit that I admire anyone who can pull off these paint jobs in scale!  It's takes discipline and patience to do this well.  I wouldn't want to worry about some idiot letting a shopping cart hit it, or a fire, destroying how many weeks worth of labor?  Love the colors, that Corvette purple is eye candy.  I'm happy to pull off a simple two tone paint job.

Did someone say Lowrider?

11 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

I have a few simple ideas I want to try on a '72 Impala, but each time I get close to doing it so far I have backed away.  

You should at least give it a try Ricky. It may turn out better than you anticipate. Would be good practice to "see it in the negative". And there is always Super Clean, Purple Power, Easy-Off etc, etc.

lowrider paint01.jpeg

lowrider paint02.jpeg

lowrider paint03.jpeg

lowrider paint04.jpeg

lowrider paint05.jpeg

lowrider paint06.jpeg

lowrider paint07.jpeg

lowrider paint08.png

lowrider paint09.jpeg

• 4 months later...

I love this style of paint job. Both for the skill and work involved and the results from it. I have tried one simple paint job like these on a 65 Impala and had a few mistakes so as to have to start over but I am determined to try again. I have a 63 Galaxie that I want to do. Just trying to plan it all out. I'd like to do a bit of striping with some flames in a panel. Every time I see a picture like the last one Trendsetta posted of the tape work I study it for a while to get ideas. 

The way I figure it, I can't succeed without trying it. May take a while.

Later-

Early 70's Lace paint jobs were big in this area.

A place called Customs Unlimited was set up in an old 1940's service station building with an added bay.

They would buy out KMarts supply of plastic lace tables cloths every couple months until the trend dies out!

• 2 weeks later...

I used to scam my uncle's HOTROD magazines and was always amazed at the paint jobs of the 70s.   Still love them and will leave them for more metter painters than me to do.  If you guys can do this in scale, bring em on.  I do not have the patience to even think about planning one, much less executing it.  know your limitations.   

And I remember reading same uncle's hot rod about the LA scene and Cragar S/S were the wheel of choice at that time.   I have seen Daytons or clones in the wild and they always seem rusty..  Not very pretty.   But whatever works is fine.  I do have a couple models with the Daytons on them.  

Seems to me these paint jobs are made gaudy with intent, sort of "in your face" extravagance. The intent is to blow your mind with artistry, talent and technique, where excess is a means to an end, which is a jaw dropping wow reaction. It's under rated as an art form and over rated as an automotive aesthetic. Truly, gallery quality work, but probably would not be respected outright in the arts community because it's too closely associated with the motor crowd. Shame.

6 hours ago, Lunajammer said:

Seems to me these paint jobs are made gaudy with intent, sort of "in your face" extravagance. The intent is to blow your mind with artistry, talent and technique, where excess is a means to an end, which is a jaw dropping wow reaction. It's under rated as an art form and over rated as an automotive aesthetic. Truly, gallery quality work, but probably would not be respected outright in the arts community because it's too closely associated with the motor crowd. Shame.

Here is one that got some respect. "Gypsy Rose" under glass. 

Very cool old low rider with some history.

IMG_1278.JPG

On 10/6/2019 at 9:12 AM, Modlbldr said:

I love this style of paint job. Both for the skill and work involved and the results from it. I have tried one simple paint job like these on a 65 Impala and had a few mistakes so as to have to start over but I am determined to try again. I have a 63 Galaxie that I want to do. Just trying to plan it all out. I'd like to do a bit of striping with some flames in a panel. Every time I see a picture like the last one Trendsetta posted of the tape work I study it for a while to get ideas. 

The way I figure it, I can't succeed without trying it. May take a while.

Later-

Yes, it takes awhile to figure it out...and then it takes awhile to complete one ! ???

It's the back masking of patterns that eats the clock up... 

JUST FYI ... to me Tamiya tape works best for these types of paint jobs ... JM.O2 ???