Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lola T-70 Mk III

Scale-Master

Mark, Santa has come and gone but your build did not arrive down my chimney.   I'm going to blame on the "bomb cyclone" and the delay in mail..........I'm sure it's going to show up soon though.     btw, simply superb & sublime build.  I'll be looking for the final pics soon and hope you had a Merry Christmas too.   cheers, tim

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I wound springs from 0.003 armature wire that had the insulation removed and made welded on hooks from brass for the exhaust. I did a little weather and wear discoloring too.  I installed the last two carburetor parts; the two outboard synchronizing screws for each bank.  The inboard hinges for the engine cover have been installed as well.  The loose black line is the wire loom for the taillights.

ale2HTI.jpg

pAnXupF.jpg

• Like 2

Saw this model in person last night.  Photos don't do it justice.  The blue color will just blow you away and the detail work in immaculate.  Mark says this is a labor of love and I believe it!  This one is special.  
  Thanks for bringing to the club last night Mark!

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Pete J. said:

Saw this model in person last night.  Photos don't do it justice.  The blue color will just blow you away and the detail work in immaculate.  Mark says this is a labor of love and I believe it!  This one is special.  
  Thanks for bringing to the club last night Mark!

Thank you Pete!  And thanks for making the 88 mile trip.  Looking forward to seeing you in the not too distant future.  See what I did there?  (It's an inside joke folks.)

Again, I was happy to see all the planning to get the engine cover to fit and operate on its hinges and to latch closed worked after everything was painted and all the tight fitting things that could interfere didn't. 

I also re-test fitted the wheels to see where I am.  Too bad it was an overcast day.

PL03NQl.jpg

• Like 5

The engine cover has a good amount of mass and to keep it from over-opening I made a "leash".  Machined and then hand shaped brass ends for the elastic cord.  The Remove Before Flight Ribbon is a custom decal and a reminder to not leave the cord under the cover when closing it. 

uY7fnQo.jpg

MAvOW89.jpg

Machined aluminum knobs were added to the engine cover and the rear bulkhead.  The bracket for the one on the bulkhead is formed sheet brass with aluminum hardware.

7cWDAIB.jpg

• Like 2

Brilliant build Mark. This has been a most interesting and informative thread.

I believe that Lola were based on Huntingdon about 25 miles of so from where I live in England. Not sure if they set up shop in the USA as well as in the UK. You probably have a lot of history about the company from having thoroughly  researched your model.

Have you already decided on your next project?  Will you be going the 1/12th scale MFH route for your next model, scratch building or super detailing up a more conventional kit like this one?

Edited by Bugatti Fan
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Brilliant build Mark. This has been a most interesting and informative thread.

I believe that Lola were based on Huntingdon about 25 miles of so from where I live in England. Not sure if they set up shop in the USA as well as in the UK. You probably have a lot of history about the company from having thoroughly  researched your model.

Have you already decided on your next project?  Will you be going the 1/12th scale MFH route for your next model, scratch building or super detailing up a more conventional kit like this one?

Thank you Noel!  That seems appropriate since I'm in Huntington Beach...

I have a 1/6th scale project I'm looking forward to once this is done, something simple by comparison.  I might build another Super 7 too; but of course it will be something different and possibly unexpected...

Edited by Scale-Master

Oh... I get it this is really a real car and you just want us to think you're building a model!  HB My old home town, changed so much since I left in the 80s.  Looking forward to the 1:16 build.  After you finish this one.  RBF... Classic!

Morgan Matchless V Twin sml.jpg

Edited by Big John
Smaller image
  • Like 1