Model Cars Magazine Forum

GMC 7500 Spreader Truck

This one was completely built out of junk, Evergreen Stryrene, and Plastruct. The only new parts were the resin front tires that came from a great trade with Jeff Buimer "gotnitro". No model kits were harmed in the building of this truck! The frame is from a junk IH 4270. A big thanks to Tom Decker "redneckrigger" for the rear tires. The engine is a 6v-53 Detroit. The bed and spreader is scratch built. The interior was scratch built. The windshield was made from a "DR. Perky" (generic Dr Pepper) bottle. It had the right curve in it. The parts box took care of the rest. The cab was a mess, but turned out okay.

IMG_1355.thumb.JPG.065dfadf8d8ffd7243540593774ac911.JPG

IMG_1357.thumb.JPG.73710a40f3eb852c28503c92db14b4fe.JPG

IMG_1359.thumb.JPG.7484e852d64e9b2251793de95069bc52.JPG

IMG_1362.thumb.JPG.9c19cba1e16b552874d2e92cb6827409.JPG

IMG_1368.thumb.JPG.66b86a194e4d1ddea2a7c9c3d5191936.JPG

IMG_1374.thumb.JPG.b796ad2d6c99f1236291865ea8165a26.JPG

IMG_1379.thumb.JPG.3dac4fbae4e8a4ff3addb5cc15e3c115.JPG

IMG_1384.thumb.JPG.532698df53674b0e78be16f773db001f.JPG

IMG_1390.thumb.JPG.d8790dd5a9b0281b69325b07769a05fe.JPG

IMG_E1351.thumb.JPG.079c3206f2505dea275f3c442ebba314.JPG

This is what the cab looked like when I started:

IMG_0419.thumb.JPG.7fdf67cb0bcfb42e12eafd5645f4529b.JPG

Edited by DRIPTROIT 71

I love how you turned that Sows ear into a Silk purse. You did a great job and the truck really looks the part. It looks like a well used farm truck. I used to see these all the time where I grew up and this looks just like the ones I remember. Great job.

On 6/16/2019 at 10:05 PM, Jim B said:

Great save on the cab.  Great looking build.

Thanks Jim!!

On 6/16/2019 at 10:10 PM, the goon said:

+1.

Mark

Thanks Mark!

On 6/16/2019 at 10:45 PM, redneckrigger said:

WOW! That looks fantastic! Actually looks like a well used old GMC in her last role of work............................and looks EXACTLY like it would be expected, a little worn out around the edges, but still capable of a day's work. LOVE IT!

Thanks Tom! Thanks again for the tires too! They were a big help! I didn't want it to look destroyed, just well used, but mostly taken care of.

On 6/17/2019 at 5:53 AM, Tesla said:

Your perseverance paid off! Well done!

Thanks Dennis! I did consider scrapping this cab many times though.:D

On 6/17/2019 at 6:13 AM, afx said:

Turned out great Brian.

Thanks!!!

On 6/17/2019 at 11:10 AM, Oldmopars said:

I love how you turned that Sows ear into a Silk purse. You did a great job and the truck really looks the part. It looks like a well used farm truck. I used to see these all the time where I grew up and this looks just like the ones I remember. Great job.

Thanks for the kind words! There are a few around here, but most have 48" tires on the rear and regular highway flotation tires on the front.

On 6/17/2019 at 11:11 PM, Sam I Am said:

Excellent work Brian! 

Thanks!!

On 6/18/2019 at 9:10 AM, Ken Gilkeson said:

nice build

Thanks Ken!

On 6/18/2019 at 7:34 PM, BIGTRUCK said:

Very nice. Something you never see anyone build. Great job.

Thanks! It actually began with the front tires. I started researching ideas on how to use them, I halfway settled on this project and after I started the bed I decided that I was going to finish it even if I had to change to a different cab.

On 6/19/2019 at 5:52 AM, Warren D said:

Came out great, looks ready for the fields.

Thanks Warren!

20 hours ago, Plastheniker said:

Good idea, very different!

Thanks!

On 6/21/2019 at 9:49 AM, TECHMAN said:

:):):)

WOW!!!!!  For all the fits that cab gave you, this really turned out great!!!!   

DJ

Thanks man!!

On 6/21/2019 at 10:27 PM, signguy2108 said:

With all the problems u had, it came out extremely well, I like the bed.

Thanks!!

On 6/22/2019 at 12:29 AM, 1930fordpickup said:

This even looks better now Brian. Sure would fit in around here in the fields. 

Thanks! Most of the ones around here have the 48" tires on the rear, but after finding pictures of these on line, I had to try to build one.

On 6/23/2019 at 6:42 PM, CRUSADER2 said:

I followed your build, man you really went through the mill with this one, came out great in the end though, well worth all the effort it really looks the part, fantastic build and weathering, top job again!!!

Thanks so much!!

Love it and great save!B)

Takes me back to when we lived on Colorado and I worked for Simplot Soil Builders, an ag service. Ours were Internationals and one Ford.

Still can remember starting down a field that was almost a mile and half long over a hill! Real pain keeping a straight line on tat one! Thankfully had the foam to mark our way!LOL

On 6/26/2019 at 10:50 PM, OldTrucker said:

Love it and great save!B)

Takes me back to when we lived on Colorado and I worked for Simplot Soil Builders, an ag service. Ours were Internationals and one Ford.

Still can remember starting down a field that was almost a mile and half long over a hill! Real pain keeping a straight line on tat one! Thankfully had the foam to mark our way!LOL

Thanks! Most of the ones that I found on line were Internationals too.

6 hours ago, Mike Williams said:

Excellent, what a view!  A wonderful model, and excellent save.

Question:  The tires, especially the fronts, appear to be deflated.  How did you achieve the look….I love it.

Thanks!! The front tires are solid cast resin from Kit Form Services and they are cast that way with the weighted look. For the rear tires which are 66" kit tires from a monster truck, I first glue a styrene block to the air side of the wheel where the tire rides centered between the rim edges. This will be at the bottom once on the truck. I drill a pin sized hole in the center of the block. I cut about a quarter inch hole in the center of the tread of the tire. I take a piece of styrene sheet about 1/2 inch square and drill a pin size hole in it as well. I place the tire on the rim aligning the hole in the tire with the pin hole in the block and then place a pin through the 1/2 inch square and glue it into the the the styrene block on the rim which collapses the tire. The length of the pin determines how collapsed the tire will be. This at least for me caused a concaved area in the tread of the tire. I then cut a small area out of another scrap tire's tread and glued it in place to fill in the concaved area. Once on the ground it looks pretty good and much better I think than the ballooned weightless look especially on a truck.

@DRIPTROIT...thanks for the reply and the explanation.  Compliments.  

Giving so much attention to detail is a big plus for our hobby...and a great salute to modelers who go to the trouble of making their own way.  Wonderful.

Your model is very good, with excellent detailing.

On June 16, 2019 at 8:45 PM, redneckrigger said:

WOW! That looks fantastic! Actually looks like a well used old GMC in her last role of work............................and looks EXACTLY like it would be expected, a little worn out around the edges, but still capable of a day's work. LOVE IT!

On June 17, 2019 at 3:53 AM, Tesla said:

Your perseverance paid off! Well done!

Really liking this build, the work really paid off.