Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Did You Accomplish Today? (Model Car Work)

Yesterday I finished the '65 Chevelle promo rescue. Today I finished the second '67 Impala promo rescue, and rounded up the needed interior replacement parts and painted them black for the '69 El Camino survivor/glue bomb I'm restoring. Hope to get that one finished tomorrow, or sometime this weekend at the latest. 

I got the windshield and tailgate glass glued into my 57 Ford wagon today and made a Thermos for the front seat. I made the cup for the Thermos but it is drying in the dehydrator so no pic of it. I used a bit of decal from the 58 Vette luggage for the bottle. The cup was made from the end of the cone K&N style filter from a newer Mustang. I should be able to get the rest of the glass in tomorrow.

Later-

IMG_20200212_122157610.jpg

IMG_20200212_122342112.jpg

12 hours ago, Modlbldr said:

I got the windshield and tailgate glass glued into my 57 Ford wagon today and made a Thermos for the front seat. I made the cup for the Thermos but it is drying in the dehydrator so no pic of it. I used a bit of decal from the 58 Vette luggage for the bottle. The cup was made from the end of the cone K&N style filter from a newer Mustang. I should be able to get the rest of the glass in tomorrow.

Later-

IMG_20200212_122157610.jpg

IMG_20200212_122342112.jpg

Very nice work

58 minutes ago, Modlbldr said:

Having a cup of coffee this morning!

Later-

IMG_20200213_061941456.jpg

IMG_20200213_061905767.jpg

Ah, life before cup holders. At that time the glove box door would have round indentations on the inside. When the door was open you could place your drink in the indentations that kept them from sliding off onto the floor. 

dropped and destroyed a chassis I'd heavily modded from a viper to fit a 63 fury. found some of it but I'm over it so its going back in the box before it hits a wall. everything i've touched on it today has broken on me and most of it is scratched or heavily modded from something else.

Got the rest of the windows in this morning. Next is to get the body on the chassis.

1 hour ago, espo said:

Ah, life before cup holders. At that time the glove box door would have round indentations on the inside. When the door was open you could place your drink in the indentations that kept them from sliding off onto the floor. 

I remember those days. I had thought about opening the glove box to do that but I didn't figure the effect would be worth the effort.

Later-

IMG_20200213_090926533.jpg

IMG_20200213_090942072.jpg

IMG_20200213_091000646.jpg

Made and installed a rear window for the survivor '69 El Camino I'm trying to rescue (the windshield will come from a common '69 Chevelle organ donor, as did the seats, dashboard, and steering wheel). Got the black painted on the grille. Got about half of the Silver Sharpie work done on the body. Pried the wheels off the chassis for detailing (and sanding the tire treads), which turned out to be surprisingly difficult for some reason. I'd hoped to get the hot mess nailed back together today, but not gonna happen. Maybe tomorrow. 

Almost finished! Only have the license plate decals and the exhaust tips to put on. I also have to finish the roof rack. The paint is not perfect but the timeline of this one is the mid 60's of a well kept vehicle that has been on many family vacations across the US.

Later-

IMG_20200214_144113371.jpg

IMG_20200214_144309137.jpg

IMG_20200214_144355211.jpg

Don't know if this is an accomplishment or just a new discovery. While working on the '55 Ford, I took a break and was surfing the 'net. Came across something called "Critter Clay" which I had heard about years ago, but now my interest was piqued. I figured that since this is touted as having "very low shrinkage", I decided to order some and give it a try.

This would be a good way of making bucks for the front and rear windows for the Ford since they are of the wraparound type and I don't have to fight with straight stencil sheet to get it to take shape.

I'll post results when it comes in and I can see how it'll take the force of the vacuform. I'm told this is some pretty tough stuff so here's hoping!

6 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

Don't know if this is an accomplishment or just a new discovery. While working on the '55 Ford, I took a break and was surfing the 'net. Came across something called "Critter Clay" which I had heard about years ago, but now my interest was piqued. I figured that since this is touted as having "very low shrinkage", I decided to order some and give it a try.

This would be a good way of making bucks for the front and rear windows for the Ford since they are of the wraparound type and I don't have to fight with straight stencil sheet to get it to take shape.

I'll post results when it comes in and I can see how it'll take the force of the vacuform. I'm told this is some pretty tough stuff so here's hoping!

Looking forward to reading your review of this. I'm gonna need something of this kind to make a rear window for my resin '69 Barracuda Coupe body.