Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Lobby re-opening

On 5/2/2020 at 11:06 AM, Tom Geiger said:

Folks, I’d rather hobby stores be closed a while more to keep everyone safe and curtail the spread of Covidvirus. I’m not that far from the very infected NYC / NJ area and I credit that the virus hasn’t spread far into Chester County PA here to the quarantine.

Note that Germany opened up, had a reoccurrence. Rather be safe than sorry. In the end hobby supplies really don’t matter. And for the record, I’m not getting paid during the crisis.

But Sweden stayed open.....pushing common sense and personal responsibility and it looks like it's working. 

As a retired analyst I don't take ANY one person or agency word as the final know all.  I've read a lot of reports from folks on both sides....from 'we should have a stronger lock down' to 'open 7/24'.....both have valid points. I just got back from the grocery store. I was the only person masked. No one here wears a mask at any time.  I'm almost always the only one wearing one when I go out.  Yet we have ZERO COVID cases in the county.  We had two cases via people visiting from Maryland. No residents......and no social distancing or masks......WHY???? And our population average age in in the late 50's with many 80's and 90 year olds.   Shouldn't we be ground zero??? After all I read I am going into the workshop and fashion me a tin foil hat. My info is not just rumor or 2nd hand.....my wife is the head ER person at our hospital and COVID person for the area. 

2 hours ago, Dave Van said:

But Sweden stayed open.....pushing common sense and personal responsibility and it looks like it's working. 

Dave just count your lucky stars that you are in an area off the beaten track where you don’t have worries. 

I am in a Philadelphia suburb, close to the epicenter of the New York / New Jersey metro area. Quite a different story here. We MUST wear masks in stores for good reason.

We all know people who have been affected. My favorite postal counter clerk died. Our friend’s mother died. My sister in law tested positive, now the rest of her immediate family is going for testing.

This week alone my son in law, a professional firefighter, had to be tested because a co-worker is sick. My wife’s brother, who works in a mail sorting center was displaying symptoms and sent home for testing yesterday. There have been multiple cases in that facility.

Both my daughters in NJ know people who have died, or have lost family members. A guy I graduated high school died this week as well as a bartender from one of our favorite restaurants.

And they’re finding new things about the virus all the time. It was thought kids weren’t affected, now they are. New hot spots are popping up. I’m for erring on the side of caution right about now!

Edited by Tom Geiger

Not going into any store or restaurant anytime soon, I can get everything I need delivered.   About the only trips out I've done recently is to the vet and dog groomer, wearing a mask.  Over 2500 cases in my county (though my suburban zip code is still in the single digits).    Being cautious, as my sister and I have a history of sinus infections and upper respiratory issues.

35 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Dave just count your lucky stars that you are in an area off the beaten track where you don’t have worries. 

I am in a Philadelphia suburb, close to the epicenter of the New York / New Jersey metro area. Quite a different story here. We MUST wear masks in stores for good reason.

We all know people who have been affected. My favorite postal counter clerk died. Our friend’s mother died. My sister in law tested positive, now the rest of her immediate family is going for testing.

This week alone my son in law, a professional firefighter, had to be tested because a co-worker is sick. My wife’s brother, who works in a mail sorting center was displaying symptoms and sent home for testing yesterday. There have been multiple cases in that facility.

Both my daughters in NJ know people who have died, or have lost family members. A guy I graduated high school died this week as well as a bartender from one of our favorite restaurants.

And they’re finding new things about the virus all the time. It was thought kids weren’t affected, now they are. New hot spots are popping up. I’m for erring on the side of caution right about now!

Hey...I have a collection of masks....use one outside all the time. Not seen the kids or grandkids going 6+ weeks......we were taking care of two of them daily.....actually miss them big time! And yes....moving to the most rural county in the eastern US in 2002 seems very wise now. 

But until someone can explain Sweden.......and why the people all around me ignore distancing, folks were talking face to face..no masks...chatting at the store like they have for years,  It's like a very difficult puzzle...one we may never figure out.  But I hope the logic of this can be found.....is it shared HVAC like NYC?? Is it population density alone? Shared public transit?  We have almost none of these so distancing alone is not the solution or we'd have it bad. 

All I know is we can't live in a lock down state forever.....it will all collapse in on itself and it will be Mad Max for real.  If I had the solution I\d give it....but it HAS to be found. 

PS...food for thought. TB killed 1.5 million folks in 2018, is very contagious and is completely  ignored by media.  Why? Or all the other much more deadly things in the world......many equal or worse than COVID. Please just think about that. 

7 hours ago, Dave Van said:

Hey...I have a collection of masks....use one outside all the time. Not seen the kids or grandkids going 6+ weeks......we were taking care of two of them daily.....actually miss them big time! And yes....moving to the most rural county in the eastern US in 2002 seems very wise now. 

But until someone can explain Sweden.......and why the people all around me ignore distancing, folks were talking face to face..no masks...chatting at the store like they have for years,  It's like a very difficult puzzle...one we may never figure out.  But I hope the logic of this can be found.....is it shared HVAC like NYC?? Is it population density alone? Shared public transit?  We have almost none of these so distancing alone is not the solution or we'd have it bad. 

All I know is we can't live in a lock down state forever.....it will all collapse in on itself and it will be Mad Max for real.  If I had the solution I\d give it....but it HAS to be found. 

PS...food for thought. TB killed 1.5 million folks in 2018, is very contagious and is completely  ignored by media.  Why? Or all the other much more deadly things in the world......many equal or worse than COVID. Please just think about that. 

They’re currently running at over 3100 deaths at a population of 10 million, around 31 deaths per 100,00 people. Their neighbors are closer to 7-8 per 100,000.......

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/coronavirus-takes-toll-swedens-immigrant-community-70593594

13 hours ago, Ctmodeler said:

The percentage of people who die from covid is really high . That's why it's much worse than tb or something like that 

Not sure where you are getting that from, but most places the percentage of deaths to positive tests are running in the 3-4 % range. The percentage of deaths to the number tested is less than 1 percent.

I live in Charlotte and 94% of the people who have died were over the age of 60 with underlying health issues, so likely they may have passed away with pneumonia but were considered Covid-19.

32 minutes ago, Ctmodeler said:

Sorry Mike but have no idea where you're getting your numbers from

I will not wear a mask until I have to at work.  I've been working every other week and a few people are wearing them.  Surprising two of the four people are over 60.  We are not in close contact.  Speaking for myself, I would say I am in pretty good shape for my age (61) so if I get the virus I think my odds are pretty good to survive (>90%).  So, can we all hide from this forever - of course not.  If you are able spend this extra time many folks that were working 40+ hours a week exercising at least an hour a day.  If you are going to do cardio (walking briskly, jogging, bike riding) than be prepared to inhale fresh air without wearing a mask that limits the carbon dioxide from fully escaping.  My son is obsessed with tracking the deaths by age group and there's not doubt this virus can take the life of anyone at any age but so can many other things - just not at the numbers we've seen worldwide (with of course hour by hour updates on the news) at these amounts in a long time.  Take care everyone and I would like to go to Hobby Lobby when it open back up.

Edited by vamach1

Folks, this is straying into a COVID-19 discussion, and we asked that those go on hold. Let's keep it to Hobby Lobby.

At the risk of violating my own edict, I would note that the value of masks like not in preventing you from catching COVID-19, but in preventing you from giving it to someone else. Given that some large percentage of COVID-19 infections show no symptoms at all, this is exceedingly valuable.

Just now, stinkybritches said:

All of the stores in the Richmond, VA area are now open.

Uggh.  You can go to Walmarts in No Va surrounded by hoards of people but as Steve said the HL's near us are still closed.

4 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

The Hobby Lobby website has a Store Locator section. Click on it and put in your zip code and it will show you the status of "your" stores. The three closest to me show "Temporarily Closed." :(

Thanks.  It says Leesburg VA is open which is 19 miles from me and all the others nearby are closed.  Interesting they are all in the same state but different counties.

1 hour ago, vamach1 said:

Thanks.  It says Leesburg VA is open which is 19 miles from me and all the others nearby are closed.  Interesting they are all in the same state but different counties.

Could be a staffing problem. Many retailers are experiencing a problem getting people to return for work as they make more money on unemployment than they do working. And some have legitimate fears of contracting the virus because of their compromised immune system, despite masks, gloves and sanitizing. 

Hit the closest HL today.  Still no new kits. I'm thinking of getting a couple of old Aurora 1/72 scale helicopter kits Atlantis just re-issued:  the HH-3 "Jolly Green Giant"  and the AH-56 Cheyenne.  Both very hard to find for decades, especially the AH-56.

I've read that Atlantis has a special distribution deal with Hobby Lobby, so I thought their kits might be available pretty quickly. Guess not, though.

I went to my local Hobby Lobby in Henderson, Nevada. The store was very crowded and I happen to find the store manager to open paint display. When I went to check out all the registers were maned and the lines went back to the nest to last isle before rear wall. Took 30 minutes to check out. No holes in kit section.

Went to one of two HL within 10 miles of me on Monday, it was busy but not this is way too busy for a Monday busy, there were a LOT of empty shelves through out the store, including the model isle, in both kits and supply, as you can see below, the paint was actually pretty well stocked and I was able to get the can of Dullcote I went there for.

20200511_150823[1].jpg

20200511_150841[1].jpg

And no body , there were a good amount of open kits

20200511_151231[1].jpg

Edited by martinfan5

On 5/11/2020 at 6:10 PM, Classicgas said:

I don't think you can stay on unemployment if your job reopens.

Actually, you can claim unemployment benefits even if the business is open if you have an underlying health issue that makes you vulnerable to contracting the Covid virus. Have family members who own an essential business but lost several employees to unemployment because of it. Likely will get the employees back once the government stops the payments.