Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jaguar XJ-S V12, Hasegawa, 1/24

Matt Bacon

Another one that's lingered too long in the stash. I don't know what possessed me to dig it out, except maybe after the Mk2 I'm on a Jaguar kick...

rough-and-red-dy.jpg

The paint is Zero's Red Pearl, intended for a Pagani Huayra, but I think it'll be a reasonable match for Jaguar's Cranberry Red Metallic with a very fine flake...

shiny-on-1.jpg

shiny-on-2.jpg

The shut lines are extremely fine, despite some deepening, and they are dark washed with Citadel's quaintly named "Flesh Tearer Red", but this time at the primer stage, before the red basecoat is applied. The effect is subtle, but visible in real life...

Now to start work on the world's most complicated engine. At least I have a (real) Haynes Workshop Manual for Jaguar V-12 saloons, picked up in a charity shop for £3. It may tell me more than I want to know, of course...

best,

M.

7 minutes ago, 64Comet404 said:

Are you planning to try the teacup test on the engine once it’s built? ?

If we're talking about the same teacup test, my all too brief acquaintance with this fabulous engine in an E-Type suggests it wouldn't reach the end of the driveway! I know it needs premium "super-unleaded" fuel, and gas is cheaper the other side of the pond, but I spent £190 on fuel between Friday night and Sunday late afternoon. However, the torque and power it puts out while remaining incredibly smooth and refined is just astonishing...

best,

M.

I had forgotten that Hasegawa made that one!    Nice finish Matt. Look forward to seeing the rest of the build.

Out of curiosity, a mate of mine Mick Lomax migrated up to Yorkshire from Luton with his HGV job a couple of years back. He is a member of the Black Sheep Modelling Club up in your neck of the woods. Is it very local to you?

Always loved the XJS. I was fortunate enough to own one a few years ago, albiet just a 6 cylinder. That was thirsty enough!

Great looking paint job. I was thinking of using that exact paint as a sustitute for candy apple red on a 57 Chevy.

I'll be watching how this build goes. Its bound to be better than the TWR version I built in my youth.

Thanks, guys! A lot of masking tape later, here's where the body is at:

black-on-front-left.jpg

black-on-front-right.jpg

black-on-rear-right.jpg

Tamiya lacquer paint Semi Gloss Black, thinned with the Orange top thinner with retarder and flow enhancer. Slow and steady does it with the engine.

engine-block-2.jpg

engine-block-1.jpg

Humbrol Metalcote Aluminium washed with Citadel Nuln Oil to pop the details.

engine-manic-spiders-2.jpg

engine-manic-spiders.jpg

engine-top-down.jpg

The manic spiders have been turned loose. This is my second attempt at wiring the distributor. At first I started at the plug end, and the wire was too stiff. This is some lead wire I'd forgotten that I had. I'm NOT going to try to get the firing order exactly right (you can't see the plug ends anyway...) but as long as it looks like a right complicated tangle it'll resemble the real thing!

air-injectors.jpg

Inlet manifold and air injectors. If you look very closely at the top manifold, you can see I've inserted some brass pins where the location lumps were, which are vague and unlikely to be strong enough...

best,

M.

Thanks, all... steady progress with the engine...

engine-from-left.jpg

engine-from-top.jpg

engine-from-front-left.jpg

engine-from-left.jpg

So, the distributor is wired up (and to the coil, which is the thing I thought was a filler cap just behind the distributor). There are various hoses hanging off the air injection and the vacuum regulator (the silver and black cylinder in front of the coli) has a control wire. The throttle bodies (sliver lumps between the inlet manifold and the black air boxes) have now got actuators. Wouldn't if be handy if I knew where they all went...?

engine-with-manual.jpg

This is where that workshop manual REALLY pays off... if I can get many/most of these in place when the engine goes in, that will do for the wiring, IMHO!

engine%202-XL.jpg

I need to end up with something that looks a bit like this (with an added dose of gizmology to avoid sending myself nuts!)

best,

M.