Model Cars Magazine Forum

Atlantis Models has bought another lot of tooling/molds.....

1 hour ago, Stef said:

Wow, looks like lots of cool Mopars there! Am I seeing what looks like a Johan 62 Plymouth Fury? Or Revellion with a filled-in trunk? Or could it be Revell's classic 62 Dart? Hopefully, this link will go directly to Casey's 2019 post for comparison: 

Despite the blurry images it's definitely the Revell '62 Plymouth Fury (Revell's '62 Dodge Dart tooling was sacrificed in order to make the Revellion).

I'm absolutely stoked by the thought of seeing the Revell '62 Mopars reissued and will buy them by the crate if I get the chance!

The boxes casually stacked in the background are every bit as exciting as the Mopar test shots, though. We already know, that Atlantis acquired the tooling for Revell's Tri-Five Chevies (Affectionately named "The Unbuildables" for their challenging assembly design), so it's hardly surprising to see a stack of boxes from the previous issues of the kits.

However we also find the old Monogram box for Tom Daniel's "California Street 'Vette" hiding in plain sight!

It's previously been discussed somewhere on this forum that Tom had a grudge against the former Revell/Monogram management over some licensing/royalty-issues, effectively ruling out any reissues of his designs by Revell/Monogram. Atlantis has since acquired the necessary licensing to reissue several Monogram Tom Daniel kits in their tooling bank. 

It's gonna be interesting to see if this is an indication that Atlantis has in fact acquired all of the tooling enabling them to reissue the desirable California Street 'Vette kit, which was a replica of Tom's personal car.     

• Like 3

The Slingster is the white dragster, above the yellow one in the case, which is, I believe, a caricature dragster (maybe a Tom Daniel deal?). The box art for the Slingster looks to be the red dragster in the photo with the time, and the word "Reel", on it. Also interesting to see the California Street Vette boxes.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Straightliner59 said:

The Slingster is the white dragster, above the yellow one in the case, which is, I believe, a caricature dragster (maybe a Tom Daniel deal?). The box art for the Slingster looks to be the red dragster in the photo with the time, and the word "Reel", on it. Also interesting to see the California Street Vette boxes.

Man it would be nice too see the California Corvette come back!

That's the Plymouth, the only one in the Revell series that duplicated the Jo-Han version.  Both were two-door hardtops.  All of the others differed from the AMT or Jo-Han versions in trim level or body style.  Neither of those companies offered a Dodge Lancer, Revell had that one to themselves.

The Dodge Dart body was modified for the funny car version, so who knows if, or in what form, it would resurface.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Straightliner59 said:

That's a parts pack dragster.  I'm pretty certain the newer Slingster was tooled and produced overseas, if so then Atlantis didn't get that one.

58 minutes ago, Mark said:

That's a parts pack dragster.  I'm pretty certain the newer Slingster was tooled and produced overseas, if so then Atlantis didn't get that one.

I'll take your word for it! You definitely know a lot more about this stuff than I. I just though it looked a little different than the PP dragster.

2 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Two new preorders announced today too - Atlantis has been busy!

IMG_0082.jpeg.efe65e2eb86ff07187cfd0528b876493.jpeg

I spotted the TD Vette too - I’d jump at the chance to get one of those!

These are both cool! I have a couple of the Mongoose dragsters from the last issue, and a couple of SR XXXs, from way back, but, it'll be good to have them, again! Over the last few years, I've picked up three of the Vettes, at decent prices. Two of those are rebuilders--one of which I just put in a Ziploc of Super Clean, earlier today. Of course, what I considered reasonable would go by the wayside, if they are able to re-release it. I think the Mongoose dragster, or the old Snake kit would be interesting to build OOB, given their molded vinyl details!

18 minutes ago, Straightliner59 said:

These are both cool! I have a couple of the Mongoose dragsters from the last issue, and a couple of SR XXXs, from way back, but, it'll be good to have them, again! Over the last few years, I've picked up three of the Vettes, at decent prices. Two of those are rebuilders--one of which I just put in a Ziploc of Super Clean, earlier today. Of course, what I considered reasonable would go by the wayside, if they are able to re-release it. I think the Mongoose dragster, or the old Snake kit would be interesting to build OOB, given their molded vinyl details!

The Mongoose dragster is the original 1973-ish Monogram tool. It is an outstanding kit and yes, Atlantis is ready to produce it (they have been working on it for quite some time).  TB 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tim boyd said:

The Mongoose dragster is the original 1973-ish Monogram tool. It is an outstanding kit and yes, Atlantis is ready to produce it (they have been working on it for quite some time).  TB 

The Mongoose Does include the Timing Lights and Figure with his hands over his ears. Hopefully the new kit will still have those extra parts. It looks like a nicely detailed kit.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, stavanzer said:

The Mongoose Does include the Timing Lights and Figure with his hands over his ears. Hopefully the new kit will still have those extra parts. It looks like a nicely detailed kit.

Atlantis says all the extras will be in the reissue.....including the soft fuel and oil line, plug wires. 

• Like 2

A couple of comments. Of the later rear engined cars of the early 70's, the Monogram version was one of the nicer ones although it does show the 1/24 scale size difference over the other kits manufacturer's 1/25th offerings. I've got several of the first issue Swamp Rat XXX's. I hope the decals are better than the Revell offerings.

Edited by iBorg
corrected myself

Wow!

This is Huge News.

Bringing back the "Snake & Mongoose" will jump start sales for both experienced hobbyists and newbies who have been priced out of these classic kits.

Big Atta-boy to Peter V. and the crew at Atlantis that put this deal together. You know they have been working on this for months.

Edited by stavanzer

Wow! That's really good news! Although, opening this thread is getting expensive each time as basically every car kit that Atlantis has put out lately, is something I need to have.:P

• Like 1

On 4/6/2024 at 5:23 AM, Chris V said:

Despite the blurry images it's definitely the Revell '62 Plymouth Fury (Revell's '62 Dodge Dart tooling was sacrificed in order to make the Revellion).

I'm absolutely stoked by the thought of seeing the Revell '62 Mopars reissued and will buy them by the crate if I get the chance!

The boxes casually stacked in the background are every bit as exciting as the Mopar test shots, though. We already know, that Atlantis acquired the tooling for Revell's Tri-Five Chevies (Affectionately named "The Unbuildables" for their challenging assembly design), so it's hardly surprising to see a stack of boxes from the previous issues of the kits.

However we also find the old Monogram box for Tom Daniel's "California Street 'Vette" hiding in plain sight!

It's previously been discussed somewhere on this forum that Tom had a grudge against the former Revell/Monogram management over some licensing/royalty-issues, effectively ruling out any reissues of his designs by Revell/Monogram. Atlantis has since acquired the necessary licensing to reissue several Monogram Tom Daniel kits in their tooling bank. 

It's gonna be interesting to see if this is an indication that Atlantis has in fact acquired all of the tooling enabling them to reissue the desirable California Street 'Vette kit, which was a replica of Tom's personal car.     

I saw the box of the California Street Vette in the photo. It's another Tom Daniels creation. I thought of that a couple of time before. 

On 3/30/2024 at 6:55 PM, Dave Van said:

Hard to believe that tooling stayed in ILL and never went to China 

Agreed. I read something online not long ago that stated China has claimed the tooling that was sent over there by the current Revell owners as state property. 

Tough to get good stills because the guy was panning the camera...

Image18.jpg.a1a674da32ff9b09103aa178fe059123.jpg

Image12.jpg.4605a7d3e2170107e359bf18c92ecac8.jpg

Image8.jpg.9c23e894858842ef1130e8adfb7fedc7.jpg

Image7.jpg.f2ce5817cebac7ed1eb563095dfbb6ed.jpg

Should be interesting to see if the Newport has mag wheels; the Metalflake issue had them. Wheels in the Valiant and Lancer were way undersized IIRC...

Edited by ChrisBcritter