Model Cars Magazine Forum

51 Anglia street rod

Steve H

Very sharp looking Steve! Gorgeous deep colour, chassis and interior detail top notch, it all adds up to a terrific build that will be a fine addition to ypur collection. Can hardly wait to see it in person. Congrats, Misha 

I hadn’t checked back on this project in a while and came in to find the nearly finished chassis and body in color. Wow! Everything looks great. I love the look of the interior both in colors and parts choices. Very reminiscent of the Anglia street rods of the 90’s. Can’t wait to see how it looks completed!

Thank you Misha, Dennis, and Carl. I appreciate the kind words. Everything now “hinges”...pun intended, on getting the doors on, and lined up. Hopefully no snags there. Trying to have this one wrapped up in a couple of weeks. Still not decided on next project. I will likely do a quick slammer build, possibly the Scooby doo mystery machine... then maybe an El Camino. 

Cheers, Steve

Hi all, another small update. Got the body cleared. I always get nervous doing final clear coat, although generally it goes well. I did have a wee issue with the clear, I think it may have been an older can? Not sure. There was some “bubbling” at the edges of some of the panels??. I have had some issues with paint over the years, but this one was new. So.... a bunch of sanding and a re-clear got MOST of it out, however there are still a couple of small “Bubbles” visible. I know some on the forum here would have stored and started over, I couldn’t bring myself to do it. I think  that the defects are small enough that I can live it, sooooo....  Time to polish!

56619006-F16C-441F-8D68-98A2853D93C2.thumb.jpeg.ec3a693034344d0bd000dcd355cda674.jpeg

12C9AEC7-54EA-4F10-A1EC-902646416C8A.thumb.jpeg.31913b6edab57ba62f8940b1a13881b6.jpeg

I’m no expert at polishing, I still learn a bit every time. I have learned that it takes patience, and the results are worth it. This is the most complex body I have polished, so I will,learn even more.

Thanks for looking, Steve

9 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

The part you’ve polished looks great!  If you can get rid of the peel and get it all like that it’ll look stunning when you’re done!

5 minutes ago, slusher said:

Totally agree!

Thanks guys! I think the whole car should polish out nicely. I don’t usually have quite that much “orange peel” to start, not sure exactly what happened there. Anywhooo I’ll get it polished out and shiny. 

Cheers, Steve

Oh ya! I almost forgot. For the U.K. followers, I have found a couple of small UK flags in my decal box. Thought I would fit those in somewhere as a nod to its heritage. Maybe one on the fuel cell... dash... somewhere in the engine bay... hmmmm?

Cheers, Steve

The color is absolutely fantastic Steve!  Polishing is generally a long, tedious and delicate process, but one of the most rewarding when done well.  I don't remember if you have mentionned that you used lacquer or enamel but on my side I always soak the spray can in hot water to help the gloss coat (or the color) flow better and it's usually reduce the orange peel effect so less polishing time.  I have no doubt that you will get through it and that the result will be great, the part you did is proof of thatt!!! ?

13 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

The color is absolutely fantastic Steve!  Polishing is generally a long, tedious and delicate process, but one of the most rewarding when done well.  I don't remember if you have mentionned that you used lacquer or enamel but on my side I always soak the spray can in hot water to help the gloss coat (or the color) flow better and it's usually reduce the orange peel effect so less polishing time.  I have no doubt that you will get through it and that the result will be great, the part you did is proof of thatt!!! ?

Hi Francis!  Thank you for comments sir, much appreciated. Here on the “wet” coast, at this time of year , I do the same thing. Set the paint in some hot water for a bit, and usually, that helps. I use mostly lacquers. The base coat of gold may have been part of the problem.  At any rate, I will polish it up, and it should look good when done. Patience...

Cheers, Steve

PS absolutely loving your Dodge build. Can’t wait to see the body and colour on that beast. Incredible work you are doing sir.

10 hours ago, Steve H said:

Here on the “wet” coast, at this time of year          At any rate, I will polish it up, and it should look good when done. Patience...

I think that we do have pretty much the same kind of wet weather here on the east coast lately!   I was on vacation this week to finish off the fall chores, but it rained almost non-stop.  Bad for outside work but pretty good for extra time on the work bench... ?   I will also be happy when the time has come to polish the paint on this truck!

Patience is certainly one of your qualities my friend!!!

Hi Steve!

I agree with all the other pedestrians: the red hue is great. 

As to the tiny bubbles you mention, they usually happen when you spray your clear a smidge too close to the surface. It makes for a rewarding "wet look", for certain... But it sometimes encapsulates the propellant gas from the can, thus the bubbles. They are often impossible to get rid of, but with a folded sand-paper edge, some water, and great care. 

Just my two cents. Keep on, it's great!

CT

3 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Steve!

I agree with all the other pedestrians: the red hue is great. 

As to the tiny bubbles you mention, they usually happen when you spray your clear a smidge too close to the surface. It makes for a rewarding "wet look", for certain... But it sometimes encapsulates the propellant gas from the can, thus the bubbles. They are often impossible to get rid of, but with a folded sand-paper edge, some water, and great care. 

Just my two cents. Keep on, it's great!

CT

Hello Claude!  I believe you may be right, and yes, very difficult to get rid of. I managed to get most of it out, but it’s definitely not perfect. 
Thanks for checking in sir. 

Cheers, Steve

Hi all, this will be the last update before going under glass. I know I said that once already... 

Had a fairly productive week, the body is polished up and I am quite pleased with the finish. There are a few areas that are... well, good enough. The colour is exactly what I wanted, and really looks good with the curvy body lines. I will get some photos in the sun when it goes “under glass”.

Most of the final assembly is complete now. I used Tamiya smoke to tint the windows, doors are on and work fairly well. Some final cleanup, a few bits to add to the chassis, then I will call it done. 
Thanks to all on this thread who commented, complimented, and offered thoughts and ideas, it was all much appreciated! As my first WIP it has been fun for sure. I have a quick build that I will start in the next week or so, then I have some ideas for my next detailed build after that.

Cheers, Steve

691019F1-81DA-445F-8CF1-EC058C6D70D6.thumb.jpeg.23a39c76570349f08b2d36502779ff5c.jpeg

4110CCBC-6E3F-4DED-BFE2-05531EA18107.thumb.jpeg.82ce42eccf1e47e86e56c139ceceffca.jpeg

0469BDC3-04CA-4B53-A1EF-4C9499105BD9.thumb.jpeg.a5ee6b5eaa9eb8a37a2a0ccfab86a6ae.jpeg

44BFDB53-9C12-42DF-AF35-8641BDF38048.thumb.jpeg.9c50a168f03cb0ead2411536243b2534.jpeg

60811FDA-FC12-4E34-AF58-908B57822CB2.jpeg

Wow Steve, a beautiful build! The front grill, the deep red colour, engine detail, the interior, all the working bits. Sure enjoyed following along. Plus it is a great departure from how most of these kits are built. 
Cheers Misha... will you be joining our Zoom meeting this Thursday?

4 hours ago, Modelbuilder Mark said:

I just read through the thread, and I must have missed it. Which candy red did you use?  The color looks great, but you mentioned that the gold base may have been a problem. What gold were you using?

Hi Mark, I had an old can of rustoleum gold that I used for the base,  it was a bit thick and thus a bit more orange peel. I didn’t want to sand it because it was bright, and really made the red “pop”. The red is dupli-colour “anodizing” red paint, which I believe is just a clear red. They recommend a silver base, but it looked more to my liking with the gold. The other issue I had with the paint I believe was exactly what Claude T described a few posts up. 

Thanks for looking sir, cheers, Steve