Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round2 -- AMT & MPC Kits for 2021

Casey

4 minutes ago, GMP440 said:

In reference to your last sentence;  I think sooner or later we will see the 68 Coronet come out again. Like the 64 Cutlass and 63 Nova wagon were the molds/tooling was either refurbished or reingineered for those to come out,  I beleive the same thing can be done and will be done for the Coronet to be back.  Are you asking too much?  I seriously doubt it.  Round 2 sees the success Cutlass and Nova wagons and will probably follow suite with other oldies that we have not seen in decades.  

I was pleasantly surprised to see the Cutlass return...given that it's not a Chevy I was doubtful Round 2 would retool it.   Maybe the '65 Olds 88 and '66 Buick GS can be reengineered in a similar manner..  I have one original of each of those two, but new ones would be great. 

2 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

I was pleasantly surprised to see the Cutlass return...given that it's not a Chevy I was doubtful Round 2 would retool it.   Maybe the '65 Olds 88 and '66 Buick GS can be reengineered in a similar manner..  I have one original of each of those two, but new ones would be great. 

I think that this all opens up a world of possibilities. They’ve already covered all the low hanging fruit.. those kits that were easily put back into service and are further down in the pile to promising kits that need a lot more work.  They have taken on the equity partner to provide moneys for projects, so the time has never been better. 

My own minor little wish is that they complete the run of Chevy pickup kits with a 1958 and 1959.  Easy to do since the interior is the same as the 55-57s already done.  All they’d need to tool is the body, hood, grille and emblems. 

And even easier is a 1956, which would be nothing more than the side and hood badges. I have a Modelhaus set of those here somewhere.

Theyve already fixed the cab vent windows. My only peeve  with the kit is that the floor needs a modification to fill out the cab bottom and have the step down at the doors.  Right now you can see up inside the doors.  I’d even volunteer to provide a modified sample!

Edited by Tom Geiger

13 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

I think that this all opens up a world of possibilities. They’ve already covered all the low hanging fruit.. those kits that were easily put back into service and are further down in the pile to promising kits that need a lot more work.  They have taken on the equity partner to provide moneys for projects, so the time has never been better.

In terms of "projects that would take a bit of work", how viable do you think it would be to actually un-customize the Sweat Hogs tooling to make a 1969 Pontiac Grand Prix available again? 

26 minutes ago, Justin Porter said:

In terms of "projects that would take a bit of work", how viable do you think it would be to actually un-customize the Sweat Hogs tooling to make a 1969 Pontiac Grand Prix available again? 

Depends on if the have the tooling. Note we haven’t seen this kit since before Playing Mantis era.  If it’s sitting there with say.. a cracked Sweathog. Body…. 😄

2 hours ago, Justin Porter said:

Or back to a ‘72, the last stock version.  Been about 45 years since the Sweethogs version came out.  

13 hours ago, GMP440 said:

In reference to your last sentence;  I think sooner or later we will see the 68 Coronet come out again. Like the 64 Cutlass and 63 Nova wagon were the molds/tooling was either refurbished or reingineered for those to come out,  I beleive the same thing can be done and will be done for the Coronet to be back.  Are you asking too much?  I seriously doubt it.  Round 2 sees the success Cutlass and Nova wagons and will probably follow suite with other oldies that we have not seen in decades.  

Improved reverse engineering the Coronet, IMHO would make more financial sense for R2 than an all new kit, cuz if they play their cards well* 2 kits can be sold; the new an improved "original" and a Ertl engineered Plymouth late '60s RR/GTX

(*)By including a advanced modelers tip on the instruction sheet, on how to build a better detailed replica.

A similar approach can be taken with the original, '66 Comet, '67 Fairlane, etc, etc...

36 minutes ago, Luc Janssens said:

Improved reverse engineering the Coronet, IMHO would make more financial sense for R2 than an all new kit, cuz if they play their cards well* 2 kits can be sold; the new an improved "original" and a Ertl engineered Plymouth late '60s RR/GTX

(*)By including a advanced modelers tip on the instruction sheet, on how to build a better detailed replica.

A similar approach can be taken with the original, '66 Comet, '67 Fairlane, etc, etc...

True...BUT

Remember Round2, et al sell the bulk of their kits to weekend warrior builders who are picking things up at Hobby Lobby. Advanced Builder Beat Your Face Off These Mods type kits aren't going to sell to a guy who's building things on the weekend on a card table in his living room. I point you to any and all online howling that has occurred about the quality of the old molds they've reissued (90s era kits aside, although again how can you tell what is what as a casual observer with it all in "retro" box art). Again we here all understand what we're buying, but Mr. Cardtable just wants a kit that he can build over a couple of weekends that isn't a box of flash and ill-fitting parts. That's the part (body proportions notwithstanding) that Revell perfected since the late 1980s when the '69 Camaro and '32 Ford kits were released. 

4 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

True...BUT

Remember Round2, et al sell the bulk of their kits to weekend warrior builders who are picking things up at Hobby Lobby. Advanced Builder Beat Your Face Off These Mods type kits aren't going to sell to a guy who's building things on the weekend on a card table in his living room. I point you to any and all online howling that has occurred about the quality of the old molds they've reissued (90s era kits aside, although again how can you tell what is what as a casual observer with it all in "retro" box art). Again we here all understand what we're buying, but Mr. Cardtable just wants a kit that he can build over a couple of weekends that isn't a box of flash and ill-fitting parts. That's the part (body proportions notwithstanding) that Revell perfected since the late 1980s when the '69 Camaro and '32 Ford kits were released. 

Indeed, that's why I said, that it might be better to invest into improved reverse engineered kits, the advanced is optional just like it was back in the 60s with kits, accesoiry packs and building tips by the Amt Kat.

6 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

...but Mr. Cardtable just wants a kit that he can build over a couple of weekends that isn't a box of flash and ill-fitting parts.

Mr. Cardtable must love the AMT-ERTL '67 Mustang kit.  I've found several in local thrift stores.  Mr. Cardtable usually gave up after gluing the engine together.  But in one case he brush-painted the body Gloss Black and left the engine/chassis alone.  A good deal, since those are the parts I wanted to improve an AMT '66 Mustang. So now I have the remains of several '67 Mustangs cluttering up my cardtable, er, uh, workbench.

Based on other thrift store finds, Mr. Cardtable also likes the Plymouth Prowler and the Revell '68/69 Corvette. 

On 7/5/2021 at 2:13 PM, Rob Hall said:

Or back to a ‘72, the last stock version.  Been about 45 years since the Sweethogs version came out.  

If they can resurrect the Cutlass, Nova wagon and an International truck - then fixing this baby would be a piece of cake!

And with the technology they're using, they wouldn't even have to ruin the Sweathog's body tool to rerelease the stock GP. Everything else is already there!

5 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

If they can resurrect the Cutlass, Nova wagon and an International truck - then fixing this baby would be a piece of cake!

And with the technology they're using, they wouldn't even have to ruin the Sweathog's body tool to rerelease the stock GP. Everything else is already there!

Wonder how well the '70 Monte Carlo's sold, cuz maybe the decision to go forward to restore, or mothball the tooling will depend on the track record of what is similar subject matter (personal coupe)

On 7/6/2021 at 8:28 AM, Mike999 said:

Mr. Cardtable must love the AMT-ERTL '67 Mustang kit.  I've found several in local thrift stores.  Mr. Cardtable usually gave up after gluing the engine together.  But in one case he brush-painted the body Gloss Black and left the engine/chassis alone.  A good deal, since those are the parts I wanted to improve an AMT '66 Mustang. So now I have the remains of several '67 Mustangs cluttering up my cardtable, er, uh, workbench.

Based on other thrift store finds, Mr. Cardtable also likes the Plymouth Prowler and the Revell '68/69 Corvette. 

LOL...LOL....MR CARD TABLE...I LOVE IT...BUT DON'T FORGET THAT MR CARD TABLE IS NOT ALWAYS ABLE TO COMPLETE HIS MODEL CORRECTLY, THERE IS GALLONS OF BEER TO SLURP, ENDLESS CAMELS TO SMOKE, NOT TO MENTION, ONCE THE ZAP A GAP HITS HIS FINGERTIPS, PRYING EVERYTHING APART FROM THE TABLE TOP COULD BE AN ISSUE....NOT TO MENTION THE OVER SPRAY  AND PAINT FUMES NOW ENGULFING THE FAMILY ROOM.....LOL....ACE....

7 hours ago, AC Norton said:

LOL...LOL....MR CARD TABLE...I LOVE IT...BUT DON'T FORGET THAT MR CARD TABLE IS NOT ALWAYS ABLE TO COMPLETE HIS MODEL CORRECTLY, THERE IS GALLONS OF BEER TO SLURP, ENDLESS CAMELS TO SMOKE, NOT TO MENTION, ONCE THE ZAP A GAP HITS HIS FINGERTIPS, PRYING EVERYTHING APART FROM THE TABLE TOP COULD BE AN ISSUE....NOT TO MENTION THE OVER SPRAY  AND PAINT FUMES NOW ENGULFING THE FAMILY ROOM.....LOL....ACE....

ACE! Where ya been? Haven't seen you around here in FOREVER! Welcome home! B)

11 hours ago, Snake45 said:

11 hours ago, Snake45 said:

JUST TRIED TO PM YOU 2 OR 3 TIMES....SAYS YOU CANNOT RECEIVE MESSAGES...ACE

Well I mean the easiest way to get Mr. Cardtable to buy another model kit (and this goes for getting kids into the hobby as well) is giving him something that he can actually build without a 5 gallon bucket of Bondo and wood planer.  Revell for all of their body proportion errors figured out back in the late 1980s with the '69 Camaro and '32 Ford how to make new tool kits that actually could be built into the subject with a minimal amount of subtle urban warfare.  It's why Tamiya kits, of all genres are so popular.  It's part of why Bandai is rocking the world with their Gundam and Star Wars product lines.

There's a silly notion you have to "build skills" with crappy models as some sort of right of passage.  But you build skills by building models to completion, and then washing and repeating that process.  Not by being endlessly frustrated by flash, fit and finish and consigning things to the Shelf of Doom or worse.  Plenty of vintage kits can be built into fine models, by someone who already knows how to build models.

• Like 1

Speaking of the card table clan, I like to read the model boards on Facebook.  There are some amazing modelers there, especially some of the International guys.  Then there are those guys who are pleased with their brush painted bombs. It’s interesting to see the perspectives.

Here’s a post that gave me a chuckle…

ED1E4114-8B42-466E-9DAF-EA2C0358FFC4.jpeg.b0df885eae4eb8b4fa2528da04fba207.jpeg

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Speaking of the card table clan, I like to read the model boards on Facebook.  There are some amazing modelers there, especially some of the International guys.  Then there are those guys who are pleased with their brush painted bombs. It’s interesting to see the perspectives.

Here’s a post that gave me a chuckle…

ED1E4114-8B42-466E-9DAF-EA2C0358FFC4.jpeg.b0df885eae4eb8b4fa2528da04fba207.jpeg

Yea, that kit's completely unbuildable. 🙄

Whatever happened to removing flash and seam lines being one of the normal first steps to building a model? 

I wonder of the person who posted that pic even heard of removing seam lines? 🤨