Model Cars Magazine Forum

Why oh why cant we get one of these in 1/25th scale is beyond me

Wow.   Several of these cars are available in diecast.  Or close to them.   I'm not one to snub a good or even semi good diecast.   I could never get them all built if they were made.  Plue I might not want to invest time in building it.   For what a new kit would cost, I have a 57 Dodge truck like the one in the photo.  And it has more detail than I would ever want to do in plastic.  All about choices.  

For years, the Hirohata Merc was my holy grail.  But no kit ever other than the Jimmy Flintstone body which I was not willing to do.  I don't have much luck with resins.  But I have a diecast that is absolutely nuts with details.   Even rolling wheels under the bumper to help avoid grounding out the bumper.

The 53? Buick pictured is available in that color and in blue - pretty easy to find on ebay for less than a kit in many cases.   Auburn is also available in white, black, navy blue, others?  55 Olds, 57 Olds.  I used to not accept diecasts, but have found that I can have a LOT of cars that aren't available in plastic.  With details I could never hope to achieve, nor want to invest the time in, not that I don't admire those of you who can do that.    Scissor hinged hoods?  Yep?  Internal hinge doors?  Yep.   Wired and plumbed engines?  yep.   Working suspensions?  Yep.   

The build process is only part of a model car.  Having a nice replica at the end is another part.  I have built enough kits to not feel anything about buying a diecast over building it myself.  And have plenty of things to still build.  I'd rather have a diecast at this point than a kit.  

AS for the ramp trucks, I have bought several in 1/64 - they are just so large in any other scale.   But still no Dodge that I know of.  

1 hour ago, randyc said:

...Several of these cars are available in diecast.  Or close to them....

Which is exactly why I've bought several 1/24 diecasts in recent years, cars that will most likely never make it to styrene kits.

And in a lot of cases, I've bought damaged or missing-parts diecast models, where building something custom or rodded was the intent.

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Which is exactly why I've bought several 1/24 diecasts in recent years, cars that will most likely never make it to styrene kits.

And in a lot of cases, I've bought damaged or missing-parts diecast models, where building something custom or rodded was the intent.

Yes ther are a wealth of good parts in diecasts as well.   They have some of the best wheels out there.  Photoetched wires and even the molded plastic wire wheels are all nice.   

26 minutes ago, Perspective Customs said:

I would love to see these in 1/24 or 25 scale kits. Not everyone's cup of tea but I love these things.

a_1979_Cadillac_Seville_Elegante_W79CA-HV01.jpg

9dba4ceb1c21c2a7b3cfe036531283a0.jpg

Yep, I would.   We'll never see those in plastic though.   Some of these resin guys could probably pull this off.   

On 8/31/2020 at 6:43 PM, gtx6970 said:

I did a '68 Cab for a truck like this.  Grill would need to be modified slightly.  The ramp portion would have to be scratch 730835527_W50011.jpg.jpg.cc31c279812d950356b51232bb7b002f.jpg 

On 8/31/2020 at 3:43 PM, gtx6970 said:

Seems to me that this might have a lot of potential.

If it were able to be done to provide multiple variations it would fit the basic requirement for toolong kits these days. A well written proposal would go a long way to making it happen. Definitelyseems like something Mobieus might do.

Those MPC trucks were great as a kid.  Build AND play with in my case.  I think I had the 77, but it was one of the ones with the motorcycle.  I don;t think I was using paint yet, either.   Tube glue.   You can imagine.