Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 1968 Dodge Coronet R/T

StevenGuthmiller

On 5/10/2021 at 11:56 PM, Bucky said:

I also noticed the orange exhaust manifold. Is that factory correct?

There are different views on this depending on the restorer.....in recent years most of the restorations I have seen suggest that the exhaust manifolds were exposed steel, but were painted on the assembly line when already installed on the engine block and thus some paint overspray landed on the exhaust manifolds, particularly near where they attach to the cylinder heads.  

Here are two examples of how iI replicated how it looks on a freshly restored (vs. driver) Mopar performance era engine .... 

DSC 0276

DSC 0388

These were done by misting a 1/1 scale Hemi Orange spray bomb on from a distance....using an airbrush would yield an even more accurate scale appearance.... 

And Steven....your engine build is simply spectacular.  It is probably the most and best detailed Mopar performance era replica in 1/25th scale that i have ever seen in 50+ years of building and participating in this hobby.  

Best....TIM 

Edited by tim boyd

Super nice work as always Steve !  Really like the plug boots on the valve covers , they are rarely done correctly and yours look about perfect !

I can also tell that you've progressed from your earlier builds as far as the detail and the scale of your lines and linkage goes , keeps getting better all the time !

13 minutes ago, TooOld said:

Super nice work as always Steve !  Really like the plug boots on the valve covers , they are rarely done correctly and yours look about perfect !

I can also tell that you've progressed from your earlier builds as far as the detail and the scale of your lines and linkage goes , keeps getting better all the time !

Thanks Bob!

I guess that’s the name of the game.

Always trying to improve. 😊

Steve

On 5/21/2021 at 12:08 AM, Bills72sj said:

How did you make the boot seals for the ignition wires into the valve covers? I need to attempt something similar for my 427 Cammer.

Hi Bill!

Sorry it took me so long to answer your question.

Got a little distracted you might say. ;)

If you go back and look at some of the earlier photos, you'll see that I started by sanding off the original boots and replacing them with thin disks of styrene rod.

I then sanded them down slightly to form a relatively smooth, slightly domed boot.

Then I drilled the holes for the wires slightly off center and at an angle.

I did this to allow the wires to lay down more flatly to the valve cover.

Once the wires were installed, I added a dab of 5 minute epoxy to each boot to smooth the transition between the boot and wire and to fill the gaps.

Finally, I painted each boot with flat black enamel.

From the look of your photo, I think that I would tackle the Ford boots a little differently as it appears that they stand straight up.

I would use the same general technique except I would drill a hole straight down the center of the boot base, insert a short piece of the jacket from a slightly larger wire than the plug wire, and then use a little epoxy around the base of that piece to blend the upper and lower sections of the boot into one seamless piece.

Once the epoxy is dry, paint each boot flat black, insert the wires into the jacket pieces, and you're done. ^_^

Steve

44 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

From the look of your photo, I think that I would tackle the Ford boots a little differently as it appears that they stand straight up.

I would use the same general technique except I would drill a hole straight down the center of the boot base, insert a short piece of the jacket from a slightly larger wire than the plug wire, and then use a little epoxy around the base of that piece to blend the upper and lower sections of the boot into one seamless piece.

Once the epoxy is dry, paint each boot flat black, insert the wires into the jacket pieces, and you're done. ^_^

Steve

Thank you very much for sharing your techniques. I will make the effort with the materials I have. I have pre-drilled  the valve covers and also the heads. Mt distributor looks a bit sad but it is already glued in. Wish me luck!

Thank you Steve for all the effort and details that you are putting into documenting this WIP, it’s fascinating (and educational) watching how you do your magic.

This engine is almost too magnificent to install and risk hiding any of these incredible details. If I were a rich customer and you were building this Dodge for me as a commission project, I would order a second engine from you to be able to display next to the finished car!

Thanks guys!!

On 5/25/2021 at 1:11 PM, kelson said:

Magnificent detail!,have you ever considered adding small leds to light up the front headlights and taillights?.

No, that's one thing I've never considered.

A good idea I suppose, but the last thing I need is dealing with a bunch of wires and trying to integrate a battery box. :P

I think I'll pass on that one. ;)

Now that the engine is finished, it's time to get started on the chassis.

First order of business......boxing in the front frame rails.

image.jpeg.d3a3be18103e92aa6532af0b6b16cb64.jpeg

Steve

• Xingu locked this topic