Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 1968 Dodge Coronet R/T

StevenGuthmiller

Awesome stuff Steven. The parking brake release is probably the first I’ve seen, well played !! One of those, “why didn’t I think of that” pieces. As always, your interiors are second to none sir. 

Cheers, Steve

On 6/25/2021 at 10:47 PM, slusher said:

I had an 8 track tape player in my first car and I put it in when I was a teen and i never had a problem wit mine. Las 8 trades I had was John Cougar and Queen’s The Game..

LOL my first car was a 62 Chevy convertible that i bought in 67 when i started to drive it had a under dash record player that played 45.s.!!! I still have the records but i wish i would have kept the player.

Maybe 33 subassemblies! Even the center armrest bottom cushion has at least three parts! LoL

Everything is looking great from my vantage point! Looking forward to seeing this interior completed!

17 minutes ago, Bucky said:

Maybe 33 subassemblies! Even the center armrest bottom cushion has at least three parts! LoL

Everything is looking great from my vantage point! Looking forward to seeing this interior completed!

Thanks Keith.

Yeah, If I tried to count all  of the individual pieces  that went into the entire interior, my head would explode! 😁

Steve

This is part of what I love about working with lacquers.

Basically got all of the interior parts painted this afternoon.

Several different coats of primer, color and clear all within a few hours. ^_^

The dash was just primed with Duplicolor black primer and then the upper dash and lower gauge area were masked and the dash pad shot with a coat of Testors clear lacquer to give it a bit more of a matte finish.

The door panels were shot with several coats of Duplicolor "Sand Beige Pearl" and then the gold was masked, shot with black primer, Duplicolor "Universal Black" and then unmasked and clear coated.

I might do a little "toning down" on the lower black portion of the door panels.

Too shiny for my taste.

All of the rest of the parts were shot with gold, black primer or universal black and clear coated accordingly.

The rest of the parts that are not pictured have been painted black, shot with Testors clear enamel for a good gloss, and will be finished with Alclad chrome.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

2 hours ago, AMT68 said:

Was the dash pad shot with Testors Dullcote or a gloss lacquer that was lightly misted? I like the soft and very subtle sheen that has been produced. 

Actually the entire dash was first shot with flat black primer and then portions were masked off and a fairly heavy coat of Testors gloss lacquer was applied.

The nice thing about spraying gloss clear over a flat base is that you can control the sheen with the number of coats that are applied.

One normal, even coat of clear gloss over a flat base will give you a pretty nice matte or semi gloss finish.

Additional coats will add more gloss.

Steve

17 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

The nice thing about spraying gloss clear over a flat base is that you can control the sheen with the number of coats that are applied.

Thanks for the valuable information as always Steve. 

2 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Spent some time today working on some dash details.

Not sure that I'm entirely happy with the results, but I may just call it good.

If not, I'll have to start over. -_-

Looks great to me !  How are you going to address the climate control panel that's directly-above the radio ; the  recessed-area on the upper-dash ? 

Something about the dash just wasn't sitting right with me, so I stripped it and decided to try a different approach.

I decided to try the "wire ring" trick for the gauge bezels, and I think I'll be happier with that.

I also glued some thin stretched sprue around the perimeter of the dash panel so that I can foil it to represent the trim that surrounds it.

I think that might be the biggest thing that seemed to be missing.

Next I'll mask the gauge panel and then spray the surrounding pad with a coat of clear like I did previously.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller
  • Like 1

• Xingu locked this topic