Model Cars Magazine Forum

1929 Ford Pickup 80's Contemporary Street Rod - A Tim Boyd Tribute!

Smooth!  Smooth everywhere!  Smooth ride underneath; smooth box with a smooth deck & tailgate; smooth grille shell and smooth firewall.  Even the interior is attractively smooth!  From the seats to the panels and around to the smooth dash, smooth column & steering wheel.  Smooth from top to bottom... smooth from front to back... outstandingly smooth!  Inside and out, Brother!  Way Kool -KK

ps Did I say I really think it's smooth?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Dennis Lacy said:

What’s next?

Dennis, At this point the tail lights are being worked out. These are the last modified parts that need to get done.  Once those are finished, I'll have just a couple small things to work on. 

But if you are asking if I have plans for another build, I can't answer that right now. It has crossed my mind though.

Speedpro

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Speedpro said:

Dennis, At this point the tail lights are being worked out. These are the last modified parts that need to get done.  Once those are finished, I'll have just a couple small things to work on. 

But if you are asking if I have plans for another build, I can't answer that right now. It has crossed my mind though.

Speedpro

Nope, I was only asking what was next for this project. Sounds good!

• Like 1

On 1/15/2023 at 11:28 PM, Dennis Lacy said:

UPDATE!

Had a great afternoon at the bench today catching up on podcasts and getting some more solid work done on the companion RPU. 

One more small task on the cab was filling in the hood ledge at the top/center of the firewall like I did on the Closed Cab. 

C27A6518-6BD7-4F63-99E3-1BB9494164A7.thumb.jpeg.5d09a2677a8fcfa6fa080ae02276de5e.jpeg

Up front I grabbed a pair of the small headlights from Revell’s ‘29 Roadster / ‘30 Coupe, mounted them directly to the fenders and filled the mounting holes for the old headlight bar just like the Closed Cab.

C0A3406D-6697-46C6-A02F-ECB415A0EA89.thumb.jpeg.7331341e411736c487f2be659dfa9da7.jpeg

Next I turned my attention to the bed and back end. Here is where things deviate considerably from the Closed Cab as I decided to make a solid, smooth tailgate and bed cover from .040” Evergreen sheet.

CD677DDE-F2B6-4011-AD69-8762DE021236.thumb.jpeg.1794023991be1d61230280b4fed50098.jpeg

On the inner edges of the bed mounting rails made from strips of .040” square rod were installed to support the cover.

F9705F43-7DC4-49AB-87CC-F386A9628C7A.thumb.jpeg.4a6acdba241bfdb1a9a6f4bf29f16e4b.jpeg

20EE1172-E2EE-4A1F-A2A2-0AB6FDA8C3E8.thumb.jpeg.e7d00c08fe57183e2dca9bc978a43f9c.jpeg

A 3/16” wide strip was added to the bottom front edge of the cover to fill the gap at the front of the bed when installed.

447724EE-ABDC-4AE0-AC13-0B4527CB2119.thumb.jpeg.b18eb263965f93a6d81cd34b39dc575d.jpeg

760F7805-D280-4940-ABBB-429373860521.thumb.jpeg.37db2fe4be67156fbef27212823c2f6f.jpeg

Continuing with the smooth theme I made a rear filler panel to span between the bed support rails and flush mounted a pair of taillight lenses found in most of Revell’s ‘32 Ford series. Underneath, a rectangular filler panel was fit. Both were made from .040” Evergreen sheet.

21D82C85-D05F-48B0-B16D-42609AE60ECC.thumb.jpeg.c0f8127acb4a1e38e117644d2dee4b68.jpeg

CBC247E4-92B1-4418-ADD1-756E08928315.thumb.jpeg.6db7c911f9c418b43bb386df6c2ada3f.jpeg

Here’s the truck mocked up again with today’s additions. I couldn’t be happier with the look which is extremely appropriate for a late 80’s / early 90’s billet / smooth street rod. Like I said last week about the interior, I wish I could go back and do the Closed Cab like this!

79E7D60A-746E-4EA0-ABDF-B45267E22D0F.thumb.jpeg.04a6fa724d8b46e05aa0eefc02545250.jpeg

4F4663BD-6C9B-4B77-837D-CD8852CA81F2.thumb.jpeg.6ad9f9a2c2c25d79aef34dcd8e35a38c.jpeg

52445436-B628-437F-9E40-84C20D6A5258.thumb.jpeg.e5b1f8c3827213c60c679f6d99525cbb.jpeg

773E9C3A-4FEE-44D3-9BE3-9707C190A498.thumb.jpeg.f7865e63f9da40c602d5bb7e995e02eb.jpeg

334FC93F-FF21-4EBE-A62E-660E1C05FCDA.thumb.jpeg.b994bf93028348313b75aaa344999342.jpeg

Until next Sunday…

Dennis....primo....just primo in every way. 

All....I think some of you know this, but for those that do not, Dennis is and has been for a very long time a very respected player in the 1/1 scale traditional hot rod world in California.   Latest evidence just appeared yesterday in the Hop Up Annual #17; his role in suspension changes in one of the feature cars is called out in the mag.   We are fortunate to see his talents there being translated into model building here!   TB 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Dennis....primo....just primo in every way. 

All....I think some of you know this, but for those that do not, Dennis is and has been for a very long time a very respected player in the 1/1 scale traditional hot rod world in California.   Latest evidence just appeared yesterday in the Hop Up Annual #17; his role in suspension changes in one of the feature cars is called out in the mag.   We are fortunate to see his talents there being translated into model building here!   TB 

Both Dennis @Dennis Lacy and (now retired) Paul @Speedpro have a deep history in 1:1 real cars!  Both deeply steeped in hands on experience in hot rods, factory stock and restoration of museum quality automobiles.  Having known both of these guys for years and being invited to visited both of these modeling master's benches makes me the honored brother and friend of two of my very close mentors!  Watching over the shoulders of modelers such as these teaches each of us something new or at least reenforces good habits and skill honing.  Collaborating on a daily or weekly basis with @Rocking Rodney Rat, Dennis & Paul enriches my life and strengthens my desire to continue building! Thanks, Guys!! -KK

• Like 2

Nice work going on here - been away from home on project so best I could do was lurk - home now so hopefully the paint has set up enough to polish out. It was too soft before I while I was waiting got into another project, then life and work got in the way. 

Interesting project - using electricity to heat a steam boiler instead of burning up fossils - uses lots of power too. 

• 3 months later...

Just a heads-up that you can see some of the latest results of the work (and inspiration) shown in this thread at the 2023 GSL contest coverage....as I said before, great work by all who contributed to or were inspired by this thread!   TIM 

2023 GSL Finale album | Funman1712 | Fotki.com, photo and video sharing made easy.

As an example, here's a shot of the killer completed project by Wes (aka Kit Karson) and Paul: 

DSC 0359

PS - I was told that Dennis Lacy (the originator of this thread) had originally planned to attend GSL this year but had a family commitment that prevented him from doing so.  As much as i would have liked to meet Dennis in person, I also really respect him for prioritizing his family in this situation.  Right call!   Best....TB  

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Just a heads-up that you can see some of the latest results of the work (and inspiration) shown in this thread at the 2023 GSL contest coverage....as I said before, great work by all who contributed to or were inspired by this thread!   TIM 

Thanks once again for the excellent photo coverage and sharing your work with us. GREAT pics! Very cool that there were record-breaking numbers, and is it just me or is the overall quality just insanely high these days?! The bar is raising every year.

On 5/16/2023 at 8:53 AM, tim boyd said:

2023 GSL Finale album | Funman1712 | Fotki.com, photo and video sharing made easy.

As an example, here's a shot of the killer completed project by Wes (aka Kit Karson) and Paul: 

DSC 0359

PS - I was told that Dennis Lacy (the originator of this thread) had originally planned to attend GSL this year but had a family commitment that prevented him from doing so.  As much as i would have liked to meet Dennis in person, I also really respect him for prioritizing his family in this situation.  Right call!   Best....TB  

Oh!  That this day would come when both the builder's and the person that this combo build was a tribute to, could and did unite in the salty desert town in Utah.  Paul & I were truly honored meet Tim and share the finish work Paul completed in Montana.  After offering the trib' build to Tim for his taking, Paul retained ownership of the '29 PU, Tow-Behind & matching Go-Kart and it returned home and then he offered visitation rights to me!  A conversation with @Dennis Lacyand @Rocking Rodney Ratand @Speedprobrought up the question of having an Under Glass Trib' invitational thread and it has been mentioned as a potential article in Model Cars Magazine in the upcoming Hot Rod Hootenanny II.

20230505_133515.thumb.jpg.489e4a205d61909a4a148dea33e206a2.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/20/2021 at 6:30 PM, Kit Karson said:

@tim boyd @Rocking Rodney Rat @Dennis Lacy

OK! When you dropped the note earlier, I said to myself, self Tim Boyd is going to pull his Jim Jacob's "Pete and Jakes" Closed Cab Pickup model out of mothballs and surprise us!  This has turned out to kind of a special quest for some of us. @Rocking Rodney Rat and @Dennis Lacy have been trying to get me back to the bench, for a while now.  This project was what it took to get me to build something in less than three years.  When I found out that one of my mentors was interested in a build that @Dennis Lacy had started to a build from the '80s as a tribute, I had to at least peak in and see what was going on!  Then when I found out that @Rocking Rodney Rat was starting to pull parts together, I knew something was up.  I figured I had to come up with an idea, one that was current and that would catch the eye of all builders, both young & old, alike!

Getting you and the rest of the MCM Forum community involved a Tribute build and urging you to bring out such an iconic model, well... that is so awesome a awe inspiring to me and so many others, @tim boyd!  Thank you! -KK

788305748_JimJacobs29AClosedCabpickup0706sr_01_z-1929_ford_pickup_truck-right_side_view.jpg.f862fc83a5991ab11711d6b7d291e843.jpg

Jim Jacobs '29A Closed Cab Pickup

@tim boyd how about now?

Edited by Kit Karson
Text correction...

Thanks @tim boyd for the excellent show coverage, especially including most everyone’s table card to put names with the models, many of which I have heard before and a few that I know personally! The quantity and quality of the models shown looks off the charts!!

I did want to be there in Salt Lake but it wasn’t meant to be. Hopefully there will be another opportunity to meet in the future. Wes @Kit Karsonand Paul’s @Speedprocombined effort tribute truck looks phenomenal. The level of finish Paul put on it is both humbling and inspiring. When Wes texted @Rocking Rodney Rat and I pictures of it on the table last Thursday my jaw dropped! 

That reminds me, I need to keep working on the sister tribute Roadster Pickup. 😎

Edited by Dennis Lacy
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Dennis Lacy said:

Thanks @tim boyd for the excellent show coverage, especially including most everyone’s table card to put names with the models, many of which I have heard before and a few that I know personally! The quantity and quality of the models shown looks off the charts!!

I did want to be there in Salt Lake but it wasn’t meant to be. Hopefully there will be another opportunity to meet in the future. Wes @Kit Karsonand Paul’s @Speedprocombined effort tribute truck looks phenomenal. The level of finish Paul put on it is both humbling and inspiring. When Wes texted @Rocking Rodney Rat and I pictures of it on the table last Thursday my jaw dropped! 

That reminds me, I need to keep working on the sister tribute Roadster Pickup. 😎

Well, there is the Desert Scale Classic in Arizona (closer than Utah..) that turns twenty next year, everyone is invited to help us get started on another twenty years (did Danno just faint?).

• Like 1

On 5/20/2023 at 6:47 PM, blunc said:

Well, there is the Desert Scale Classic in Arizona (closer than Utah..) that turns twenty next year, everyone is invited to help us get started on another twenty years (did Danno just faint?).

I didn't faint. I just gasped.  

But of course, come one - come all. 

Especially since you won't have anything else to do (West of the Mississippi) next April / May! You certainly won't have anything better to do!

We'd love to see y'all. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Back onto this build

Being away with work and the interruption of a 32 build has not helped progress. I was waiting for the clear coat to gas out as I used a Humbrol enamel clear coat over the Testors and we all know it takes a wee while to gas out.

I had already rubbed out the clear coat all the way to 12000 grit and I have been able to polish it without the paint getting sticky.

IMG_8300.thumb.JPG.e05d78528b884f8e11d5a52afb362673.JPG

Next up is getting it all together

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I’ve been slowly collecting parts to contribute to this thread…but in the meantime I picked up an old mid-80s Scale Auto Enthusiast magazine today and spotted these, somewhat relevant, builds…

IMG_2467.thumb.jpeg.f76e7372ddc0a632459959e5e7f11c5a.jpeg

Love the ‘high tech’ smoothed out truck…even if @tim boyd notes that he didn’t like the paint color at the time…

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2023 at 10:16 PM, CabDriver said:

I’ve been slowly collecting parts to contribute to this thread…but in the meantime I picked up an old mid-80s Scale Auto Enthusiast magazine today and spotted these, somewhat relevant, builds…

IMG_2467.thumb.jpeg.f76e7372ddc0a632459959e5e7f11c5a.jpeg

Love the ‘high tech’ smoothed out truck…even if @tim boyd notes that he didn’t like the paint color at the time…

For those who missed my earlier post of these two built modes, here's a series of full color pictures that show the details well....(a couple of excerpts from the album copied below).  Did I really say I didn't like one of the colors?  WHAT was I thinking????  (smile).  

Jim...good luck with your plans....Best to you all....TIM 

DSC 0512

DSC 0524

DSC 0525

DSC 0520

• Like 3