Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT 1963 Chevy II Nova Station Wagon - Craftsman Plus

Casey

45 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

But in all fairness if AMT/Ertl doesn't nearly get run under by the mismanagement of Racing Champions putting it's tooling at Tomy who didn't have an idea what to with it either and finally find itself under the umbrella of Round2 would we see any of this happening?

Because if none of that happened and AMT had continued forward to be a direct competitor to Revell and Moebius wouldn't they putting their money into new kits just like everyone else?

For better or worse they've all but officially attached their wagon entirely to the idea of catering to a customer base old enough to remember this stuff when it was new. I wonder how long an end game it can really be. Seems like every month this forum gets a post or two from people having to hang up their sprue cutters because of various health concerns. One thing is for sure Father Time is undefeated and it'll come for us sassy-mouthed Gen Xers before too long as well.

Good point James. I'm at the tail end of the Baby Boomers (staring at 60), and with all the kits I have, many of them stuff from the '60's........there's no way I'd live long enough to build them all.

Like you said, there will come a point in time where no one will remember a '57 Chevy, '32 Fords, or a '69 Camaro.

Just like I wouldn't remember cars out of the '30's and '40's like my Dad did.

That's how time works. Generations come and go.

On 10/12/2020 at 6:11 PM, Danno said:

Oh, be still my heart!  Can a '58 Buick Roadmaster be far behind?!!?

?

With the new developments coming, I wouldn't be shocked if re-issues of all the '58 annuals, in annual style did come, or like the Nova, with options to build a full-detail kit.

Charlie Larkin

2 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

Good point James. I'm at the tail end of the Baby Boomers (staring at 60), and with all the kits I have, many of them stuff from the '60's........there's no way I'd live long enough to build them all.

Like you said, there will come a point in time where no one will remember a '57 Chevy, '32 Fords, or a '69 Camaro.

Just like I wouldn't remember cars out of the '30's and '40's like my Dad did.

That's how time works. Generations come and go.

I was born the year after the baby boom. My dad was 48 when I was born so i learned so much about cars I never saw and my uncle kept.old cars and trucks around and I enjoyed driving them. Like the 50 Dodge stake truck. He was always buying and trading.

11 minutes ago, slusher said:

I was born the year after the baby boom. My dad was 48 when I was born so i learned so much about cars I never saw and my uncle kept.old cars and trucks around and I enjoyed driving them. Like the 50 Dodge stake truck. He was always buying and trading.

Carl you mentioned your dad was 48, mine was 47..Seemed like a missed generation and we were shots in the dark..My mother was 38..I remember most of my friends dads when they were 10 could play ball with their dads..Mine was 58  just too old so I got some small jobs cutting grass and started building models..First was 58 Edsel convertible..Painted every thing except chrome bumpers tires and windshied Pactra Insignia red..Small rectangular bottles..Took two of them..I remember the day clearly to this day..I'am 72 now..Was I ever proud..

14 minutes ago, moparfarmer said:

Carl you mentioned your dad was 48, mine was 47..Seemed like a missed generation and we were shots in the dark..My mother was 38..I remember most of my friends dads when they were 10 could play ball with their dads..Mine was 58  just too old so I got some small jobs cutting grass and started building models..First was 58 Edsel convertible..Painted every thing except chrome bumpers tires and windshied Pactra Insignia red..Small rectangular bottles..Took two of them..I remember the day clearly to this day..I'am 72 now..Was I ever proud..

My dad never played ball with me but did teach me to ride my bike. My dad liked to watch television and I watched with him and when I was 7 I built my first model  I painted it with Testors silver and got it every where. I believe it was a Mercedes. I mowed grass also. Dad thought me to work. He was my best friend. My mother was 31 when I was born. I was 18 when I lost dad...

1 hour ago, slusher said:

My dad never played ball with me but did teach me to ride my bike. My dad liked to watch television and I watched with him and when I was 7 I built my first model  I painted it with Testors silver and got it every where. I believe it was a Mercedes. I mowed grass also. Dad thought me to work. He was my best friend. My mother was 31 when I was born. I was 18 when I lost dad...

My dad and I weren't the best friends but I loved him dearly..He taught me to respect people and work hard and be honest..When you make a deal shake the persons hand firmly..He was 88 when he passed in 1989..

Funny how time can have different perspectives. For example, I can remember when my Mom was 25..........she's now 80. My Dad who was a car guy, I can remember him in his early 30's. He passed away back in '13 and he was 80.

He loved just about everything Chrysler and one of his favorites was the '57 Plymouth I've mentioned here from time to time. Yet another reason I cringe whenever I see the AMT '58 Plymouth as I can remember that car VERY well and knew it was wrong the millisecond I saw it.

I have an Uncle (Dad's much younger brother) who'd appreciate that '63 Chevy II wagon as he had a '62 four door. VERY clean and rust free until one New Years Eve about 20 years ago, someone plowed into it while it was sitting in front of my aunt's house. :(

BTW, I plan on buying that kit whenever it comes out. For no other reason than just to have it. I have the original Craftsman built up in its original box. Nice and cleanly built with no paint.

I'd like to take the newer '66 Nova chassis and kitbash it with that. That would be a fun project as I don't have any other wagon kits I've built except for the Dodge Magnum years ago.

13 hours ago, charlie8575 said:

With the new developments coming, I wouldn't be shocked if re-issues of all the '58 annuals, in annual style did come, or like the Nova, with options to build a full-detail kit.

Charlie Larkin

I'd be interested in any additional information about the 1958 annuals that you can share. I would love to do a big ol '58 Pontiac Bonneville.  

3 hours ago, espo said:

I'd be interested in any additional information about the 1958 annuals that you can share. I would love to do a big ol '58 Pontiac Bonneville.  

That's pure speculation on my part. All I'm saying is that moulds are becoming drastically less-expensive to produce, it becomes closer to a possibility.

This short piece gives an overview of how to do it with plastic 3D moulds, which, as stated, would be good for, at most, about 200 parts. The 3D steel moulds would be good for at least 25-30 times that, and possibly more with good maintenance, for less money net than traditional steel or aluminum moulds (for reference, I've brought a Galaxie Chevy to a couple of mould shops, and have been quoted $35-50k, including mould and part design, based on material choice and final parts count). https://www.3dhubs.com/knowledge-base/3d-printing-low-run-injection-molds/

Charlie Larkin

The best hope for seeing old models such as the AMT 1958 kits again is to take original, unbuilt kits and 3D scan the parts.  Round 2 has a lot of kits in their archive, but I don't know how far back it goes.  

The Nova and '64 Cutlass are a good start to partially restoring or creating missing tooling for kits. 

3D printers may eventually be commonplace in our homes, and maybe we can then buy 3D files to print our own parts directly from the model manufacturer.    

1 hour ago, Motor City said:

The best hope for seeing old models such as the AMT 1958 kits again is to take original, unbuilt kits and 3D scan the parts.  Round 2 has a lot of kits in their archive, but I don't know how far back it goes.  

The Nova and '64 Cutlass are a good start to partially restoring or creating missing tooling for kits. 

3D printers may eventually be commonplace in our homes, and maybe we can then buy 3D files to print our own parts directly from the model manufacturer.    

Jim Skelly not at my age or on pension who can afford one..Even years down the road..Hell I don't even have a printer to use on my computer let alone a 3D printer in the future years..Hope it does work out though sure would be nice..Here is hoping..

I just bought an Anycubic Photon 3D printer setup (Printer, Cleaning/Post Cure unit and a liter of resin for less than $400 shipped. This is an SLA type liquid resin printer and the detail level is impressive for such a low cost machine.

My wife got some figures off the internet for free and printed them (for her Halloween building display).

I designed and printed some three piece wheels so I could put non-promo tires on a 50 Ford promo with the aluminum hubs (the original rubber tires were long gone when I got it).

I am currently working on a replacement 62 Galaxie windshield frame. 

It won't replace molding but it is really going to change modeling.

Ford wheels 01.jpg

Ford wheels 02.jpg

Ford wheels 03.jpg

Ford wheels 04.jpg

Ford wheels 05.jpg

Ford wheels 06.jpg

Ford wheels 07.jpg

Ford wheels 08.jpg

I have 10 of the original full kits, each missing a bumper or windshield or hood. It will be nice to have a few of the to build and also a few to harvest parts like the windshields from. A good windshield can go for $25.00, for 5 bucks more I get a whole car minus engine. I'm more than thankful for that. Bring them on.

On 10/31/2020 at 10:08 AM, Motor City said:

Craig,

That looks really interesting.  Is that the AMT promo?  Mine has no warp, but the body needs some work.

It is the AMT promo. It is put together from two promos I picked up over time.

Last night on Street Outlaws, a guy on the Wyoming team was running a very hot 1G Nova wagon--2 door! It might have been a SD, I don't remember. Obviously a conversion, but very well done and cool looking. Kinda makes me want to dig out that Boss Nova backbirth and scribe 2 doors into it. Would sure be easier than trying to scribe 4 doors into it (including the window pillars). 

Actually, I have a Jimmy Flintstone Nova SD body, but one side has a warped-out lower half that I don't know if could be fixed.