Model Cars Magazine Forum

I've just watched a programme on Discovery where this chap and his crew built a hideous yellow creation out of a rusty Pinto.

Then I looked at his website. What is this guy on? 

The cars and trucks he's designed(?) are like something out of a kid's drawing books from 1950s. And he's worth $90m???????

Words fail me.

steve

I enjoy the show but at the same time i cant say i'm a fan of most of his work, but the bike was pretty cool, and the tanker style truck/car in the first series was cool. It seems the premise of the show is to do things in the shortest possible time without any sort of consideration for good engineering. I saw one where they cut a caddilac x chassis down and i certainly wouldn't want to drive it any distance. I do like that he starts with cars that are no use for much else though. But after seeing what his stuff gets built for, all i can say is you get what you pay for and cheaping out like he does proves it. I'm pretty sure the green goblin model built by a member here is much higher quality and safer to drive (and its a 1/25 plastic model)

2 hours ago, Earl Marischal said:

Snake,

If you Google him that's what it says. I suspect his merch line would bring in a fair bit. I would bet what he charges for a full vehicle wouldn't be cheap either!

steve

I did google him. Found a couple entries that said the 90 mil figure was bogus/a joke. I tend to believe that. 

9 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

I’d love to see them in person, just to see how they actually look! 

Yeah. One big gripe with the show is at the end, they hardly even show the finished car at all. Just an almost MTV-like montage of the thing. 

I think the one thing about this show that gets me, and this is so common on this type of show it seems. The whole thing is about the people in constant crises mode with unrealistic time lines and every one prancing about and then some bit of fluff installing something insignificant and thinking they're saving the day. OOO NOOO, we broke a nail. I want to see how and what is really going on with the car/truck/build. All these over inflated personalities are just getting in the way of any real meaningful information. 

10 minutes ago, espo said:

I think the one thing about this show that gets me, and this is so common on this type of show it seems. The whole thing is about the people in constant crises mode with unrealistic time lines and every one prancing about and then some bit of fluff installing something insignificant and thinking they're saving the day. OOO NOOO, we broke a nail. I want to see how and what is really going on with the car/truck/build. All these over inflated personalities are just getting in the way of any real meaningful information. 

The hyped up fake drama and fake timelines make shows like this unwatchable to me.  Reality TV is a joke in general, IMO.   I find some of the various YouTube car build/fix up/flip channels way more interesting to watch..Hoovies Garage, Legit Street Cars, Watch JR Go, Tavarish, Samcrac, to name a few. 

Edited by Rob Hall

That whole show is a train wreck. His cars are all awkward and ungainly. He always says “let the car tell you what to do” (or words to that effect). Those cars must be smoking crack. One episode had his buddy Gene Winfield stopping by. I was thinking NO WAY. He must be contractually obligated to do that. I’m sure Gene Winfield’s earliest work was better than this clown’s. 

I  first saw this program 4 episodes ago, I felt it was quirky so hit record series and watched the next 3 episodes... however the 2 part Pinto build started out with promise butt was shocking... I have been watching another Canadian series Rust Valley Restorers and that for me is more entertaining and the builds more traditional.

I’ve watched only a couple episodes of his show. Didn’t like it nor liked his work. Weird stuff he creates. I personally like Iron Resurrection the best. Watch how they work with metal. It’s amazing what they do.

Chip Foose? I used to like that show but I’m not too crazy about it anymore. You don’t see the actual work being done from start to finish like Iron Resurrection does. 

23 hours ago, stitchdup said:

I enjoy the show but at the same time i cant say i'm a fan of most of his work, but the bike was pretty cool, and the tanker style truck/car in the first series was cool. It seems the premise of the show is to do things in the shortest possible time without any sort of consideration for good engineering. I saw one where they cut a caddilac x chassis down and i certainly wouldn't want to drive it any distance. I do like that he starts with cars that are no use for much else though. But after seeing what his stuff gets built for, all i can say is you get what you pay for and cheaping out like he does proves it. I'm pretty sure the green goblin model built by a member here is much higher quality and safer to drive (and its a 1/25 plastic model)

I've seen the Goblin in person a couple times. I really don't think it's drivable, or at least not for any longer than to get it on and off a trailer. 

Cars are meant to be driven , if not, it's just a piece of sculpture. [to be kind]  

3 hours ago, Plowboy said:

I watched about half of an episode and couldn't stand anymore. The guy is a hack. I would hate to see what his abominations look like in person. 

It's exactly as impressive in person as in the pics Roger.  

The only show worth watching, at least to me, is Road Kill and its various spin offs. 

No dumb deadlines, overhyped sponsor placement and pretty educational most of the time. No of the "We have to get it done or we are going to lose the shop!" mess. Gas Monkey became the worst at the deadline and cost overrun BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH. 

Monster Garage was goofy, but they actually did it for real. What happened on the show it what happened for real. 

29 minutes ago, Daddyfink said:

The only show worth watching, at least to me, is Road Kill and its various spin offs. 

No dumb deadlines, overhyped sponsor placement and pretty educational most of the time. No of the "We have to get it done or we are going to lose the shop!" mess. Gas Monkey became the worst at the deadline and cost overrun BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH. 

Monster Garage was goofy, but they actually did it for real. What happened on the show it what happened for real. 

I enjoy roadkill, but it would be better if freiburger stopped shouting everything. Its like he has the same volume control as a toddler

• Xingu locked this topic