Model Cars Magazine Forum

New magazine from Kalmbach

Given the things we had to listen to over the last few years, I think I am allowed to throw some baseless speculation out there. There are threads full of it here, about MCM. I also did say that I didn't look at the link, kinda takes the baseless speculation aspect away when you do that.

Glad to see how folks defend SA, now maybe you can see where we were coming from. Water tastes a little different when you drink it from the other mug.

For the record I subscribed to MCM, SA and FSM. I now only subscribe to one.

4 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

This thread right here be the epitome of this entire forum. If enough people actually...ya know BOUGHT SA...it wouldn't have been dropped. Mighty fine faux outrage in a place it was derided as "the other mag". Besides if SA and FSM individually couldn't float, what were they gonna do, merge the IPMS stuff into SA? Whether you want to admit it or not FSM is a broad enough title to fold cars into as opposed to SA being changed to Scale Auto...and planes, and armor...and SciFi.

As much as it pains me to interject actual information into this weekend retreat of butt hurt...I mean the rampant baseless, fact less speculation is a hoot and all...here's the actual advertising I presume about 3.2 of you saw before losing your minds. Oh and it's $12.99 since looking up the price was too big an ask when you're off on a tangent about how evil the corporate overlords act.

20210101_143805.png.09b386347dc6dcb7df728ee44137c6c1.png

Right on the money. And by the way screwing the SA readers would be no refunds. There was an option to cancel. Yes they hoped you won't becuase it cost them money to process the refunds.

And as far as this new special issue if it has content I'm interested in I will buy one. Has been my criterion for buying magazines for a long time.

4 hours ago, Xingu said:

Oh, I know other magazines do it. Most other magazines don't do it right after they canceled your subscription and try to get you hooked on something else. Just rubs me wrong is all.

In all fairness, when MCM published a magazine after several years of not publishing, very little complaining went on about the content being of contests from the previous 2 years that had already been seen by the majority of people in this hobby.

My point is that we can speculate what the content will be or we can wait patiently until late April and actually see what they publish. The contributors that worked on that magazine may not be at liberty to discuss what is actually in it.

For those of you upset over the abrupt end of SA ( I was one!), gotta figure they had their business decision to do so and while they could have given us more time, it wouldn't have changed the fact they needed to do something to stay in business. If we viewed every hobby related business that ceases operations as "screwing" us over, there's a lot of great businesses that fall into that category.

Edited by mikemodeler

7 hours ago, Xingu said:

Given the things we had to listen to over the last few years, I think I am allowed to throw some baseless speculation out there.

This doesn't seem like a mature or even reasonable stream of logic. If you didn't like "the things you had to listen to over the last few years," why would you do the same to others? I'm guessing you really didn't mean to say that you're spreading "baseless speculation" about Scale Auto because you're upset by what people said on the Model Cars Magazine forum. Unless those things were said by employees of Scale Auto, of course. 

The publication discussed in this thread is a special issue (outside of the normal FSM publication schedule).  Kalmbach publishes several magazines, and they publish occasional  special issues for other magazines too.

Model Railroader is another magazine they publish. They publish special issues related to it too (like Great Model Railroads, which features stories on some really nice model train layouts).  And if you forgot already, they also used to do Scale Auto Contest Annual (later changed to Contest Cars).  Tha tis another example of a special issue Kalmbach publishes.  Not sure why so many people have their knickers in a twist about this.

On 1/1/2021 at 7:00 AM, Xingu said:

Without even looking at it, I bet it is reprinted articles from already published magazines all compiled into one place. Probably costs less than $20. Most who will buy it, already have the the articles, if they would just look for them.

I personally would not give them another dime, now that they have screwed over our segment of the hobby.

You've made a great point here. How many threads have gone down this path. 

I may have worded it a bit harsh. So instead of "screwing us over", how about "essentially abandon us."

It all just rubs me the wrong way. I feel like they are trying to fleece our little niche market one last time. Here buy this one magazine, sure it is three times as much as a regular issue, but it is full of all the how-to stuff you always wanted us to put in the magazine. Oh and we were able to charge our advertisers extra because it is a special issue. (That is more baseless speculation by the way)

I also look at as, what if MCM were to do this 6 months or a year ago. Imagine the uproar, not from everyone of course, but there would be a VERY vocal group of folks on here posting every negative thing they could manage. Which, ironically, we would allow them to do, unlike SA. They would have immediately removed the posts, that made them look bad, and possibly the accounts that posted them.

Yes, everyone can make their own decision as if to buy it or not. I will not get it directly from the publisher, but I may get one on eBay next year for $2 plus shipping though.

I have said my piece, explained my piece and I will not let it go.

4 hours ago, slusher said:

Each person has to make their own decisions what they want too do.  I do wonder if they will do the contest cars.??

Given the fact that there were few, if any model cars shows in 2020 makes the likelihood of any contest issue a moot point. 

2 hours ago, Xingu said:

"The naysayers will take potshots at us to assuage their own egos, even to the point of wishing death to the magazine just because they can.  We are already seeing examples of that on this Forum.  I, nor anyone else on the team, will dignify such vitriol with a response." -Larry Greenberg, Associate editor of Model Cars Magazine.

Interesting.

2 hours ago, Xingu said:

I may have worded it a bit harsh. So instead of "screwing us over", how about "essentially abandon us."

It all just rubs me the wrong way. I feel like they are trying to fleece our little niche market one last time. Here buy this one magazine, sure it is three times as much as a regular issue, but it is full of all the how-to stuff you always wanted us to put in the magazine. Oh and we were able to charge our advertisers extra because it is a special issue. (That is more baseless speculation by the way)

I also look at as, what if MCM were to do this 6 months or a year ago. Imagine the uproar, not from everyone of course, but there would be a VERY vocal group of folks on here posting every negative thing they could manage. Which, ironically, we would allow them to do, unlike SA. They would have immediately removed the posts, that made them look bad, and possibly the accounts that posted them.

Yes, everyone can make their own decision as if to buy it or not. I will not get it directly from the publisher, but I may get one on eBay next year for $2 plus shipping though.

If I remember correctly, when Kalmbach made the decision to fold the SA portion into FSM, they mentioned they planned to do several "special issues" focusing on automotive related subjects to keep their hand in the car modeling community. They also said they would be including more car and truck coverage in the FSM issues and now that they have probably cycled through the issues of FSM that had already been formatted/prepared when the announcement was made back in July, I am hopeful that is the case and my subscription to FSM delivers content of my interest. Should they NOT increase the car model coverage in the magazine, I will let my subscription run out and let them suffer as a result.

For many reasons, companies "abandon" us- The Modelhaus retired, Rookie Resin closed down due to family issues, Testors discontinued a paint line, the list goes on and on. For us as a group to find fault with their decision is wrong because we aren't privy to the whole story. Much like the storied history of MCM, the issues that have plagued the magazine over the years have been documented but we all haven't been privy to both sides of the situation and have to take what has been shared as the reasons why it has had not been published as frequently as many would have wanted/expected/hoped.

Our hobby saw a resurgence this past year due to a pandemic and when things get back to whatever "normal" is, I hope that those that got back in the hobby stay around because we need all the support to keep it going. If you see something from a small business like a resin caster, buy it today because tomorrow may come and they could be gone.

Its pure and simple that Kalmbach had to trim back its magazine. Scale auto readership was about half its peak(35k recently).  I think they realize that they need to augment the automotive segment. Doing the special issues is one way to do that.  Just remember that if we don't support the special issues then they will go away. However the special issues need to be new content.  I will support the special issues if the content interests me. To me its silly to boycott Kalmbach because that had to make business decisions because of an economic downturn

I ordered the book. It was 11 dollars shipped. I wasted more on dinner last night because i was too tired to cook. 

If i learn even 1 new skill or trick, it will be worth it to me. I don't buy magazine anymore because I found i rarely looked at it but a book with 100 articles could be interesting . Even if they are older stuff, since i probably wouldn't have seen it before anyway. 

Im not surprised they canceled the magazine.i think the hobby is dying, most stores dont even sell models anymore. I tried to get my nephews interested and they just want to play video games. I built models as a kid and its the one hobby i have stuck with over the years, with some breaks of course 

This is my only hobby, i dont mind spending money on it to support a company 

Edited by youpey

I have a great idea(?). How about we ALL wait until this shows up at our favorite book source (remember books stores?) ,pick it up,flip through it to decide if it suits us based on content and finally either buy it or put it back on the shelf. Problem solved!

21 minutes ago, misterNNL said:

I have a great idea(?). How about we ALL wait until this shows up at our favorite book source (remember books stores?) ,pick it up,flip through it to decide if it suits us based on content and finally either buy it or put it back on the shelf. Problem solved!

That would be great if Barnes and Noble is going to carry it. This is exactly what I am planning on doing. My LHS does not carry magazines. I got the latest MCM from a SoCal LHS instead.

30 minutes ago, misterNNL said:

Great minds think alike. That was my plan all along.

??

On 1/1/2021 at 1:08 AM, slusher said:
15 hours ago, Rodent said:

That would be great if Barnes and Noble is going to carry it. This is exactly what I am planning on doing. My LHS does not carry magazines. I got the latest MCM from a SoCal LHS instead.

I agree with that idea. At least give us a chance to check.out Mr. Body's publication. I'm sure his intentions are good to publish such a magazine supplement. I say hats off to him.

Then again, we don't know if Barnes & Nobles will stock it since none of Kalmbach's other special issues are never offered for purchase outside their domain. Keep in mind, Kalmbach wants all the profits and rights to any of their supplement magazines to themselves. Pure business move.

On 1/6/2021 at 9:34 AM, BlackSheep214 said:

At least give us a chance to check.out Mr. Body's publication.

Just a clarification here, folks.  This is a Kalmbach Publication project, not a publication of mine. 

I developed and contributed several stories for the special issue, and they've asked me to write a brief introduction for the issue, but that's the extent of my direct involvement.   

To those who are interested or who have already bought an advance copy, I think you will be pleased; to others I suggest you check it out when it is finally printed and make a purchase (or no- purchase) decision at that time...TIM