Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram 1926 Mack

On 2/8/2021 at 8:18 AM, Chariots of Fire said:

Yes it does!Ā  A drop or two on the bottom of the pan would finish it off.

I'm in the process of finding places that need a bit more weathering, and adding that, and getting the wheels finished up. Hope to have more photos in the next couple of days.

On 2/9/2021 at 7:11 AM, gotnitro? said:

Excellent work!Ā 

Thank you, sir!

WOW Daniel, I missed the start of this new project and I still have to admit that you impress me my friend!

Everything you have done so far is done so well, the rusty effect is perfect!Ā  One of my good friends is a real enthusiast of these old work horses, he restored a few old trucks from that era and I am remember the look of the frame and the "well used" mechanical components was exactly like what you did.

I didn't know styrene could rust and there are some good wizards (like you) who do it wonderfully on this forum!!! šŸ˜ŠĀ Ā  Do you give magic lessons?

On 2/13/2021 at 2:56 PM, AmericanMuscleFan said:

WOW Daniel, I missed the start of this new project and I still have to admit that you impress me my friend!

Everything you have done so far is done so well, the rusty effect is perfect!Ā  One of my good friends is a real enthusiast of these old work horses, he restored a few old trucks from that era and I am remember the look of the frame and the "well used" mechanical components was exactly like what you did.

I didn't know styrene could rust and there are some good wizards (like you) who do it wonderfully on this forum!!! šŸ˜ŠĀ Ā  Do you give magic lessons?

Thank you very much, my friend! I've been driving straight trucks for about forty years, so, I just drew on memory for the dusty/rusty effect. I don't want to overdo it, just present a daily-driven truck, much like I would likely have driven in that era--which is even much earlier than I started doing it!šŸ¤£ Magic lessons?! This is my first go, at this! I'm not even qualified to give regular lessons!šŸ™‚ Seriously, though, as everyone does, I studied photos of similarly used trucks to see how they aged, andĀ  approached the application of colours as if I was doing a painting. I try to apply it in a way that I can apply more, if need be, but not so much as to feel I need to remove some.

That looks amazing!Ā  Sign me up for the "regular lessons" when you're ready.Ā  I am in awe of your work.Ā  Those hubs are amazing, the frame, suspension, wheels, everything!Ā  I would love to hear more about your technique if you wouldn't mind sharing.Ā  I haven't tried weathering yet, but it's something I would like to learn & develop a skill for.Ā  Your level of work is most definitely something to aspire to.

On 2/17/2021 at 8:29 PM, Bronzekeg said:

Ā I'm a huge fan of the wheel treatments.

Thanks, Ken.

On 2/17/2021 at 9:25 PM, larman said:

Fantastic work! Excellent weathering and details!

Thanks, Larry. I'm figuring out this weathering, as I go(I hope!).

On 2/17/2021 at 10:01 PM, Kromolly said:

That looks amazing!Ā  Sign me up for the "regular lessons" when you're ready.Ā  I am in awe of your work.Ā  Those hubs are amazing, the frame, suspension, wheels, everything!Ā  I would love to hear more about your technique if you wouldn't mind sharing.Ā  I haven't tried weathering yet, but it's something I would like to learn & develop a skill for.Ā  Your level of work is most definitely something to aspire to.

I appreciate that, Roy. I'm inspired by the positive comments from everyone! My basic technique has been to clean up, assemble, paint, and detail paint a given assembly. Then, I flow thinned black paint into the corners, crevices, etc. Next, I use a stiff brush to apply a mixture of pastels, overall. I work in sections, and blow off the pastel dust, and shoot Dullcote on the assembly. I will add more pastels, if needed. After that, I touch some ofĀ  the nuts/bolts with either Testors flat brown, or a mechanical pencil, just to add some variety, and visual interest. I run the mechanical pencil along some of the edges, to simulate wear (note the edges of the hubs), and I also used it here and there, on the wheels, to simulate scratches. When I did the wheels with the pastels, I applied it more heavily along the rim, since centrifugal force pushes all the dirt outward, which eventually causes discoloration, due to microscopic particles impregnating the paint--at least I surmise that's how it happens! šŸ˜„

On 2/18/2021 at 1:34 AM, PhilX said:

Thank you for sharing this excellent breathtaking work ...Ā šŸ˜

Thank you, very much, Philippe! I am happy whenĀ  people enjoy my work. Or, are inspired by it. Glad you like it, sir!

22 hours ago, Chariots of Fire said:

Those wheels are great!Ā  They show off the detail, a little of the original shine and some wear all at the same time.Ā  And they have the look of having been taken care of.Ā  Great job!

I truly appreciate that, Charles! Sounds like I am accomplishing the look I'd hoped for.

On 2/19/2021 at 3:38 AM, Straightliner59 said:

I appreciate that, Roy. I'm inspired by the positive comments from everyone! My basic technique has been to clean up, assemble, paint, and detail paint a given assembly. Then, I flow thinned black paint into the corners, crevices, etc. Next, I use a stiff brush to apply a mixture of pastels, overall. I work in sections, and blow off the pastel dust, and shoot Dullcote on the assembly. I will add more pastels, if needed. After that, I touch some ofĀ  the nuts/bolts with either Testors flat brown, or a mechanical pencil, just to add some variety, and visual interest. I run the mechanical pencil along some of the edges, to simulate wear (note the edges of the hubs), and I also used it here and there, on the wheels, to simulate scratches. When I did the wheels with the pastels, I applied it more heavily along the rim, since centrifugal force pushes all the dirt outward, which eventually causes discoloration, due to microscopic particles impregnating the paint--at least I surmise that's how it happens! šŸ˜„

Ā 

Thank you for the tips!Ā  I'll give this a try for sure in a future build.

11 hours ago, HJK said:

Hi Daniel, the weathering looks really, really gorgeous. Can you please tell me how you routed the ignition cables through the pipe to the spark plugs? Thank you.

Hi, Hans. I used heavy duty (button and carpet) thread for theĀ  plug wires. The tube is 3/64" brass from Special Shapes. To begin, I thinned both ends of the tube and bent it to shape. Next, using very fine brass wire (.008"), I folded the wire over, creating a loop I then fed through the tubeĀ  from the (engine's) rear. This was done before mounting the tube, just for clarity's sake. Then, I fed two lengths of thread through the loop of wire--don't spare the thread! It's cheap! roughly center the threads through the wire loop. Now, use the wire loop to pull the thread into/through the tube. Continue pulling until you can remove the wire from the thread. Now, simply pull the thread back into the tube--if enough length is left inside the tube, it won't even need to be cemented, as friction will hold it in place. TrimĀ  the loose ends, leaving enough to reach your magneto/distributor. For the spark plug ends of the wires, I simply drilled holes in the appropriate locations, and inserted short lengths of thread. Thanks forĀ  asking, and for your kind comment!

10 hours ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

Looks amazing! Very realistic!

Thanks, Brian!

9 hours ago, Kromolly said:

Thank you for the tips!Ā  I'll give this a try for sure in a future build.

You're welcome, Roy. I hope they're helpful!