Model Cars Magazine Forum

I've always had a fondness for the Falcon Rancheros but was disappointed with the latest AMT reissue - Chevy engine, ill fitting wheels and the simplified chassis had to go. 

Over the past few months I have fitted a Revell 68 Mustang chassis (extended 5/8 inches at the rear, used a nice resin cast 6, and adapted Tamya Lotus 7 wheels. The Mustang chassis had the right wheel base, width, and fender well details but required a lot of cutting and filing around the firewall. The single exhaust is bent solder and the gas tank is from an old Revell 55 Chevy. I've never looked under a real Ranchero so the added structure and gas tank shape and size is my best guess.

The paint is an original 60 Ford Belmont blue under clear coat and lots of polishing. 

I think I have overdone this one but I'm happy with the result. Comments welcome.

Thanks for looking.

IMG_20210204_155927.jpg

IMG_20210204_155641.jpg

IMG_20210204_155757.jpg

IMG_20210204_155927.jpg

IMG_20210204_155739.jpg

IMG_20210204_155702.jpg

IMG_20210204_155607.jpg

Beautiful looking Ranchero. Looking at all of the work you did on the chassis and engine you did what AMT failed to do when they designed this kit. The one I built  would make a good curbside model compared to this. Your efforts to duplicate a realistic looking Ranchero really paid off on this. 

Wow, nice job! Your extra work really paid off here - unibody looks about right. I really like seeing one done as a stock 6 cylinder. For what it's worth, the gas tank on the Ranchero is actually hung by straps under the bed - it doesn't recess up as much as yours does, but most people won't know that.

Edited by RancheroSteve

• 2 weeks later...