Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rare Kits... prices.

Years and years and years ago i used to collect star wars figures. Sometimes i would get junk or quality that i didn't like for my collection. those i would just resell on ebay. Until i got burned.  Someone bought the figure, only paid after i put in a non payment ticket. Once it was delivered, they put not as described ticket. PayPal didn't ask for proof or anything from me that it was exactly how it was described. He got the money back and he kept the figure.

PayPal made my account negative and i just never used it again, leaving it in negative. they didn't take it from a bank or credit card. 

I stopped selling on ebay for a long long time after that. That was probably 20 years ago and i still never forgot it

Edited by youpey

22 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Personally, I feel more secure using my PayPal account than handing out my credit card info to every Tom, Dick and Harry on the web. My wife has had her credit card compromised at least 3 times in the past five years. 
Never had a single hacking issue of any kind using PayPal.

I use it over a credit card whenever I can.

Steve

I use PayPal for all online purchases. Credit card for gas and groceries. 

2 hours ago, hedotwo said:

Unfortunately Paypal charges you 2.9% + .30 each time you use it instead of your credit card.  

My understanding anyway.

I've never witnessed any extra charges.... for buying anyway.

Everything I've ever bought with PayPal cost me exactly the advertised price.

If there were ever any fees, I never noticed them.

Steve

On 3/29/2021 at 1:01 PM, ewetwo said:

Ebay has made a change with their connection with PayPal. You can use PayPal to buy something. But the seller's payment has to be processed through Ebay and they now require a link to your bank account. I know someone who sold something. The buyer disputed something about the item. Ebay sided with the buyer even though my friend proved he was right. And then Ebay took the money out of my friend's bank account.  Reason Facebook Marketplace is booming with forums with kits for sale. I was going to sell quite a few kits on Ebay because I have way too many at age 66. I'll never get even half of them build. But not now knowing Ebay is connected to your banking account. And the Facebook model selling forums have people offering $5 on a kit worth way more than that. I guess you set up another banking account with a small amount of money in it to use with Ebay.

Yea... the heck with that! I wouldn’t even set up a smaller account to use exclusively with eBay.. just on principle alone. 

I've been working through this whole Covid mess, if that were not the case I would have thought about selling on eBay again.  Until they would attempt to force me to provide bank account information.  No way, no how.  

I cringe when I see a rare old model sold to a poor builder.

I once knew a guy who would pay for rare kits, then show up at next meeting with it built as a mess.. brush painted with glue on windows like a 10 year old would do.

People begged the local dealer not to sell to him!  

18 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

I once knew a guy who would pay for rare kits, then show up at next meeting with it built as a mess.. brush painted with glue on windows like a 10 year old would do.

I feel ya! 

About 30 years ago I was a member of an IPMS club that was mainly military-oriented but welcomed everyone. There was one guy there who would do that with airplanes--buy rare ones and then build them in the next month. His stuff wasn't as good as the things (airplanes) I built in high school. But he was a nice guy. Kinda shy/quiet, very polite, very complimentary about other people's models. He'd ask advice on how to do this or that, and listen intently to the answer and then apparently try very hard to apply the lesson. Over a period of a couple years I watched him get better---up to just about passable. What I grew to like about him was that he ALWAYS had a model for the contest table, every single months, while the club had a number of "experts" and "master modelers" who were lucky to get one thing built a year. (A couple of them, I don't think I EVER saw a finished model from.) When he finally won his first contest ribbon--2nd place in a category--he couldn't have been happier if he'd won the Nationals. And I shared his joy. 

Sometimes I wonder how he's doing now. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I feel ya! 

About 30 years ago I was a member of an IPMS club that was mainly military-oriented but welcomed everyone. There was one guy there who would do that with airplanes--buy rare ones and then build them in the next month. His stuff wasn't as good as the things (airplanes) I built in high school. But he was a nice guy. Kinda shy/quiet, very polite, very complimentary about other people's models. He'd ask advice on how to do this or that, and listen intently to the answer and then apparently try very hard to apply the lesson. Over a period of a couple years I watched him get better---up to just about passable. What I grew to like about him was that he ALWAYS had a model for the contest table, every single months, while the club had a number of "experts" and "master modelers" who were lucky to get one thing built a year. (A couple of them, I don't think I EVER saw a finished model from.) When he finally won his first contest ribbon--2nd place in a category--he couldn't have been happier if he'd won the Nationals. And I shared his joy. 

Sometimes I wonder how he's doing now. 

Great story.  Some can take the hobby too seriously.  If I put too much time into one model it does not to get finished.  Like this gentleman I prefer to build the rare kits before the ones you can buy for $15 to $25 at the store.

It might seem that I just want to stick my thumb in the eye of the collector, but I like to fill gaps in my collection of BUILT models.  Ok yeah the thumb thing, but its not even a consideration when I buy a rare or unusual kit. I just finished an AMT 68 cougar, and tried to buy an overpriced "hens tooth" 69 Javelin, to build, not horde.  such a waste right.                       If only I knew what I was lookin' at.    In my estimation, its the collectors who drive the market, sitting on "a few " of this or that, until they decide to sell  for whatever they can get.   In the mean time, I'm gonna go slather some glue on the glass, and make sure that NO part of the kit is usable to a collector.  look on e bay, these guys are parting out "collectable kits"  a part at a time, bumper ten bucks a tail light  five bucks and so on.   This rant is not directed at Builders who "restore" models, although they no doubt feel the pinch when they try to replace parts that hacks like me have irrevocably damaged. sorry for that. not

23 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

probably someone’s grail model.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
1 hour ago, deuces wild said:

Someone on ebay is selling a Monogram 1/12 scale Camaro 3n1 kit for 300 bucks.... Seems like it was yesterday I bought 3 1/12 scale sealed kits for 35 bucks each.... Is this highway robbery or what???😡🙄

When I bought mine, they were $19.95, which seemed a fortune at the time. I have all three--if someone wants them for 300 bucks apiece, come on over and drive home with them! :blink:

3 hours ago, deuces wild said:

Someone on ebay is selling a Monogram 1/12 scale Camaro 3n1 kit for 300 bucks.... Seems like it was yesterday I bought 3 1/12 scale sealed kits for 35 bucks each.... Is this highway robbery or what???😡🙄

No, probably hoping somebody really wants it. Those big scale kits do seem to appreciate pretty quick. The MPC 1/16 street charger was all over for $35 bucks a few years ago, and I thought, oh that will probably sell for 5 times that in a few years, and now it does. The 1:8 Monogram kits also bring in quite a bit despite being released repeatedly over the years.