Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bare Metal Foil

Both my hobbies!

In model cars we have this BMF issue..

In stamp collecting Dennison Company stopped making stamp hinges years ago. If you ever collected, these are the little folded gummed bits of glassine material that we all used to paste our stamps into albums.  The big factor was they were peelable without damaging the stamp.

The ones on the market today aren’t peelable, so there’s a big market of selling vintage Dennison mounts on eBay. Recently I saw a 59 cent pack from the 1970s sell for $30.

Dennison says they lost the formula for the glue. Nobody else has been able to figure it out, for a limited market.

2 hours ago, crazyjim said:

Their price is much more reasonable.

Whoa!!!  Put 1 in the cart and completed a shipping estimate that came to $25.00.

Interesting . . . I ordered one sheet and the shipping was $2.95 . Total was $15.90 , still more than BMF but worth a try .

I'm pretty sure someone mentioned this product before but if not, gotta say I'm pretty impressed with the results.  Bought this can at HL a while back and never actually used it.

20210703_141528.jpg.dd395fc2960de429a4c43570555a911d.jpg20210703_144250.jpg.3b2748ad57d0190e6798f0459b52e56f.jpg20210703_144457.jpg.3a9adc46e1931f7c67cad34c1fcba2cf.jpg

I will say this tho, do nt try to polish it or the shine will not be the same.

Edited by TransAmMike

1 hour ago, TransAmMike said:

I'm pretty sure someone mentioned this product before but if not, gotta say I'm pretty impressed with the results.  Bought this can at HL a while back and never actually used it.

20210703_141528.jpg.dd395fc2960de429a4c43570555a911d.jpg20210703_144250.jpg.3b2748ad57d0190e6798f0459b52e56f.jpg20210703_144457.jpg.3a9adc46e1931f7c67cad34c1fcba2cf.jpg

I will say this tho, do nt try to polish it or the shine will not be the same.

I think I introduced Krylon Foil to this forum, having first tried it about a year and a half ago. It's not chrome plating or BMF or even Metalizer or Alclad, but it's pretty darn good, easy to use, and relatively inexpensive. It's my go-to product when I need to rechrome a whole bumper, for example. 

10 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I think I introduced Krylon Foil to this forum, having first tried it about a year and a half ago. It's not chrome plating or BMF or even Metalizer or Alclad, but it's pretty darn good, easy to use, and relatively inexpensive. It's my go-to product when I need to rechrome a whole bumper, for example. 

I knew someone did Mr. Snake.  

On 7/2/2021 at 8:35 PM, Tom Geiger said:

Both my hobbies!

In model cars we have this BMF issue..

In stamp collecting Dennison Company stopped making stamp hinges years ago. If you ever collected, these are the little folded gummed bits of glassine material that we all used to paste our stamps into albums.  The big factor was they were peelable without damaging the stamp.

The ones on the market today aren’t peelable, so there’s a big market of selling vintage Dennison mounts on eBay. Recently I saw a 59 cent pack from the 1970s sell for $30.

Dennison says they lost the formula for the glue. Nobody else has been able to figure it out, for a limited market.

I wonder if you could use the Post-It flags that you use to mark pages in a book for hinges?

Interesting about the glue. Send a few of the old hinges to a lab for a fluoroscope exam to get a spectral breakdown of the glue?

Charlie Larkin

5 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

As an alternative to BMF, I have sometimes used smooth aluminium plumbing tape. A bit thicker than BBC but quite forgiving and a lot less expensive. I tend to use either or, depending on the application.

I've used that once or twice, but only on (relatively) large and flat areas, typically rocker panel trim. I have used a good deal of cheap/generic kitchen foil with Micro Metal Foil Adhesive, which works great and will do about 95% of anything BMF will at a fraction of the cost. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, so I am using the last of my "new Improved" and I have two packs of the "Chrome", opened one to check it out,,,,,and sadly you are all correct, it is horrible. It does not conform, does not stick....I am at a loss now. I had heard that ModelHiro made chrome, but I cannot find that. I thought about trying the EZ chrome, but have not heard anything good about it either. 

Ok fellows I tried the EZ Chrome in case someone was waiting for my thoughts before ordering . I did a quick test on a new hood scoop . This product comes with 3 toothpicks . I know , who cares .  Anyway , I found the stuff to be thicker than the BMF we all like . As far as sticking goes , way sticky . Maybe too much if that’s possible . Conforms to shape pretty good but when I burnished the foil with a new Q Tip it left marks in the material . Now I will say if I took more time like it was a part I was going to use the results could have been better . Based on my results my verdict is that it is not a viable replacement for BMF . I will not buy it again . Your results could be different . 

6C18EF9F-F113-4BBB-9D43-C95DFF82B163.jpeg

29BC15AE-135A-4902-A771-3DA27CDFAAA6.jpeg

669CBCBD-4068-4C45-8038-C8587CCC89B3.jpeg

B9548427-430E-4491-97AF-61BBD61A9A23.jpeg

Yeah, thanks Ray. That looks like a kitchen aluminum foil. It even has the sort of "brushed" finish that kitchen foil has, where the surface of BMF was was smoother.

As for the marks left after burnishing, I suspect that is due to the adhesive layer being thicker than BMF, so it acts as a rubbery substrate under the foil. It will squish under the pressure of a toothpick, resulting in visible marks.

Ed Mason, the inventor of BMF had a perfect solution that has not been duplicated by anybody else. Too bad that "the good stuff" seems to be discontinued.