Model Cars Magazine Forum

Your first ride

John1955

Do you remember your first daily driver? The first car you drove? I sure do, I was a little hot rodder (according to my mother) in my pedal car when I was a wee one. I vaguely remember being yelled at for going too near the main road once. My legs were small then but powerful, no battery power like the ones today, it was all kid powered. I think brand new pedal cars must have been expensive back then or something because mine was old and rusty, but I didn't mind. 

As for real 1:1 cars, when I was 15 years old and working after school and weekends at a Gulf station, I bought a '65 Chevy Impala for $75.00. It was worn out, high mileage, burned oil, but it was mine so I loved it. It took me about six months to get it fixed up for the road and by that time I was 16 and old enough to get my driver's license. 

PEDALcars.jpg

1stcar.jpg

• Like 2

I guess my first "ride" was a Wheel Horse lawn tractor/mower. Could actually get the front end off the ground with it. No, my folks didn't know that. :lol:

My first car was a '61 or '62 VW Beetle sunroof, pee-green. Liked it, didn't love it. 

My first "real car" about a year later was a '65 Buick Special 2DS, V6. Like that one a lot, and in fact wish I could find one like it today--would make a VERY cool street cruiser. Drove that my senior year of HS and the first couple years at university. 

my first car was an 84 thunderbird 5.0. it was always breaking down, probably because of me though. it only lasted one year. i paid 1500 for it, but probably put that much into repairs. it did start my love affair for v8's though. 

16 minutes ago, youpey said:

an 84 thunderbird

The first car that I was proud to own was an '84 Thunderbird, but mine had the V6...... This was my first car payment that i made myself every week. I got it at a "buy here, pay here" kinda place. It was Blue with a blue vinyl interior.

Find a 16 year old now that has a regular job and can make their own payments...

1 hour ago, youpey said:

my first car was an 84 thunderbird 5.0. it was always breaking down, probably because of me though. it only lasted one year. i paid 1500 for it, but probably put that much into repairs. it did start my love affair for v8's though. 

My wife's first car was an 83 Cougar 5.0 and it was a piece too. Her dad finally sold when the electric fuel pump died he didn't want to drop the fuel tank.

My first vehicle was an 85 GMC Sierra Classic long bed pickup. It had been repainted 90s GM light blue by someone but was originally a brown on beige two tone. I got it when I was 17 and had it for about three years. I moved out of my parents house with it and it was my wife an I's only vehicle when we were first married.

42 minutes ago, Fat Brian said:

My wife's first car was an 83 Cougar 5.0 and it was a piece too. Her dad finally sold when the electric fuel pump died he didn't want to drop the fuel tank.

that was the very first thing to go wrong with mine. that it went through alternators a lot.

3 hours ago, JollySipper said:

Find a 16 year old now that has a regular job and can make their own payments...

They either don't want a car or most often their parents give them a car.

My first car was a '61 Chevy Impala but I can't remember what I paid for it and I bought it from a friend. Not a great car but it was black with big tires and mag wheels and Hi-Jackers in the back. Many other things I did to make it "cool" in them days. You really appreciate that first car when you buy it with your own money.

My First car was a Military Ambulance. 1953 M43 Ambulance, to be exact. I paid $800.00 for it in 1980.

This is not mine, but It could be. Same Colour, same winch. 

37 Horsepower Flathead 6. 4 speed Trans, with High and Low gearbox.

First gear in the Hi range was still geared so low that for on road use, you only used 2,3 &4.

Armstrong Power Steering, 2-40 Air, and brake shoes smaller than those on a 62 Valiant. This is a fact as, the guy at the Parts House gave us the Valiant shoes, first. They were bigger than the example we had brought in. Brakes were truly awful. They required two or three pumps before the pedal would come up. And that was AFTER my father and I had rebuilt or replaced the Master Cyl, all Four Wheel Cyls, and all Eight Brake Shoes. We bled the system over and over again.  They never did work well, but I learned to use them, anyway.

She grossed 8900 lbs.  Personalized California Plates "53 BEAST" I sold it in 1990.

1952_Dodge_M43_Ambulance_withWinch_Stanton

• Like 1

First I drove was a 1978 Plymouth Fury "Sport Suburban" wagon. Learned to drive in that monster wagon. Wish I had it now!

First car I owned, was a 1978 Ford Thunderbird. 400ci V8, metallic brown, brown vinyl roof, brown velour interior, white walls, spoke hubcaps, ice cold AC, melt your face heater.

This was my first car (no, that’s not me). I won it in cereal box contest. I may have driven my Dad’s ‘62 or ‘63 chevys, but can’t recall for sure. I took my drivers test in his ‘68 Biscayne, 4 door, 6 cyl, 3 in the tree. 

E86FEC51-B84E-4313-A10D-4906D6BD0A9A.jpeg

2DDEDF81-0DD5-408B-88CC-A28F83295E6A.jpeg

• Like 1

On 5/15/2021 at 12:17 PM, John1955 said:

when I was 15 years old and working after school and weekends

Like John......I too was fifteen when I bought my first ride.....had passed driver ed & waiting for my 16th birthday to officially get my driver license.

"Those" were the days! Gasoline was .52 cents a gallon, new license & a '63 Impala SS 2dr HT 409 , 4spd ......I had a blast for the 7 years I had it...she would pass everything but gas stations!     ...wish I never met that gal that convinced me to sell it!   & YES ( I still hold that grudge! ) ....suppose I should be glad I never married her!

0516212000-1.jpg

• Like 1

First car I drove was a 1977 Mercury Monarch 4-door. 

First car I owned was a 71 Super Beetle with "auto" stick. 

That Bug went through the family.

Pop bought it from the original owner. 

Then I got it from him.

Then Pop got it back after I bought my 68 Mustang coupe.

Then my sister needed a car and bought it from Pop.

Then she got another car and Pop got it back again.

Finally left the family after Pop wanted a newer car. 

My Crown Vic has a crazy family passage as well.

Pop buys from original owner.

Then brother-in-law gets it.

Then back to Pop.

Then goes to my nephew.

Then Pop gets it again.

Then co-worker buys for son.

Then I buy from my co-worker.  I'm keeping it. 

Edited by webestang

10 minutes ago, webestang said:

First car I drove was a 1977 Mercury Monarch 4-door. 

First car I owned was a 71 Super Beetle with "auto" stick. 

That Bug went through the family.

Pop bought it from the original owner. 

Then I got it from him.

Then Pop got it back after I bought my 68 Mustang coupe.

Then my sister needed a car and bought it from Pop.

Then she got another car and Pop got it back again.

Finally left the family after Pop wanted a newer car. 

My Crown Vic has a crazy family passage as well.

Pop buys from original owner.

Then brother-in-law gets it.

Then back to Pop.

Then goes to my nephew.

Then Pop gets it again.

Then co-worker buys for son.

Then I buy from my co-worker.  I'm keeping it. 

Your Pop reminds me of me. I'm the only "car guy" in this whole family, but for the last 25 years I've been driving whatever everyone else in the family is completely done with. :lol:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Your Pop reminds me of me. I'm the only "car guy" in this whole family, but for the last 25 years I've been driving whatever everyone else in the family is completely done with. :lol:

He loved cars so much and it certainly rubbed off on me. 

I end up with my Pop's cars. 3 of my 4 cars I own now were my Pop's.....LOL 

My 88 5.0 Mustang was my Pop's that he bought from the original owner in the 90's. I bought it from him in 2002.

And also my 99 Mustang.........

Pop buys new.

My nephew gets it next.

Then I buy it from my nephew. 

Too bad I did not have the cash to buy my Pop's last car, 98 Mustang GT convertible. 

First car was a 74 avocado green Camaro 6 cyl, auto car with no options but a factory AM/FM radio. Car had been in a front end accident and was totaled. My dad got it cheap and I took it all apart to replace the damaged parts and restore it. Had it back together and running in about 4 months. After a little fine tuning it became a very reliable ride and I used it for about two or three years before giving it to my sister for her first car.

We had it sitting out front of our house, when someone offered  $500 for it. As none of us were using it anymore and we figured no one else was going to give us a better offer for a car with a salvaged title, we accepted it, he drove it away and I never saw it again.

Figured a local F-body wrecking yard was buying any local Camaros they could get their hands on, because I had a friend with a 76 Camaro and he was approached with the same story and the same $500 offer.

I suppose my first ever ride was a pedal car. There was a muddy patch of land up the lane from our house where I'd ride in it to an abandoned 1-1 car, and then get in that and pretend to drive it! I remember the make of it too, it was a Hillman Hunter, so I guess my "real" first drive, in my imagination at least, was a 60's Hillman Hunter, Lol.

pedal car.jpg

Hillman.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

1974 Opel Kadett station wagon. First year of the generation that shared its platform and basic bodyshell with the Chevette. Orange with a flat black hood and 14" kind of rally wheel looking steelies from a 1982 Opel Rekord, with sticky Pirelli P6 low profile tyres so it could corner until the oil pressure light was lit. :P

• 2 years later...