Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mirage: 1964 Johan Caddy converted to a "Ute"

HI!

Granted, the custom Caddy Mirage was offered at the beginning of the 70's... But don't let history get in the way of a fun mash-up! SO... 1964 Johan Caddy convertible, adding roof panel from AMT's 57 300C, scratchbuilt B-pillars & quarter windows, rolling rear window, box and marchandise. Rolling stock from 57 300C. Custom cognac candy paint with Wet Look clear. Fully polished. Custom mix acrylic for the cabin and box floor. Curbside, with dropped height. Hours of fun with styrene!

CT 

DSC01261 (2).JPG

DSC01262 (2).JPG

DSC01263 (2).JPG

DSC01269 (2).JPG

DSC01271 (2).JPG

DSC01272 (2).JPG

DSC01277 (2).JPG

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, Zippi said:

That is one kewl looking Caddy.  That color looks fantastic.  I like the cargo in the bed.  Nice job.  

Hi Bob!

Thanks. I hoped for some direct sunlight during the photo shoot, but the sky was overcast... I'll add a "glowing" pic whenever I have a chance. It truly pops in the sun!

CT

2 hours ago, Koellefornia Kid said:

Love it! Very nice roof and bed design, great stance and beautyful colour!

Thanks Oliver!

I tried to recreate the roof design of the 1970 Mirage. The main difference with the 64 is that the upper quarter panel on the 70 turns upward at its front end (just before the B-pillar), whereas the 64's flies horizontally toward the rear tip of the fin. Well, you can't have everything, I guess...

CT

Hello Claude, another stellar build sir. You are the King of mashups!! A while back I was googling custom Caddy’s and a similar 1:1 car came up. I’m actually not sure now if it was a custom or not, but it had the same style of opera window. Extremely well done as always, fit/ finish/ details all top shelf. Keep em coming!

Cheers, Steve

3 hours ago, Steve H said:

Hello Claude, another stellar build sir. You are the King of mashups!! A while back I was googling custom Caddy’s and a similar 1:1 car came up. I’m actually not sure now if it was a custom or not, but it had the same style of opera window. Extremely well done as always, fit/ finish/ details all top shelf. Keep em coming!

Cheers, Steve

Hi Steve!

Thank you for the kind words, but as far as "King" of the mashup... As you know all too well, this forum is ripe with formidable modelers, and you of all people have proven countless times your ability to "mix and match". In fact, I'm currently going trough my extensive magazine collection, and in every Contest Car... I find new discoveries from a certain Steve. Goes to show...

Those "coach-built" Caddies were offered from the early 70's, for a few years. Two companies were involved: Caribou, which featured a flying buttress style of B-pillar, and Mirage, who retained the rear/quarter window of donor cars. I prefer the latter, but I can't tell which one was the more popular. Some of them were posted on the "Show us your Camino style phantoms", about 3 months ago. That's what got me started with this one.

A rare Johan kit, but hey, no regrets! You gotta build them!

CT