Model Cars Magazine Forum

What do you do with your built kits?

4 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

That's why I've been reluctant to put them up there, though there's no water boiler up there and I don't think it gets much warmer than it does in the rest of the house. They're stored in the kitchen at the moment and tempretures can vary in there quite widley too, might actually be better in the attic thinking about it now.

is your attic insulated? if it is it will get very hot, even in the uk. I'm 150 miles from the artic circle and unless its been below freezing for a week the attic gets very hot so I expect it will be hotter in wales

I sell them on ebay. I use some of the money to buy more kits, supplies & whatever else I need. Most of the time I sell them around the holidays and use the money to spoil the wife and kids a little extra. For me the fun is building the model, I'll let someone else enjoy the finished product. I know it sounds weird and I'm probably the only one here doing this, but hey, why be normal when weird can work too.

57 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

is your attic insulated? if it is it will get very hot, even in the uk. I'm 150 miles from the artic circle and unless its been below freezing for a week the attic gets very hot so I expect it will be hotter in wales

Sort of, the joist spaces have that old loose mixed material, looks like someone emptied a Hoover bag up there! The roof just has the basic felt underlayment. I can imagine it getting pretty hot up there. I have been planning on putting shelves in the alcoves in the livingroom with some glass doors, I just need to work out the measurements and get the materials.

1 minute ago, doorsovdoon said:

Sort of, the joist spaces have that old loose mixed material, looks like someone emptied a Hoover bag up there! The roof just has the basic felt underlayment. I can imagine it getting pretty hot up there. I have been planning on putting shelves in the alcoves in the livingroom with some glass doors, I just need to work out the measurements and get the materials.

Do you have a furniture recycling yard or simialr local? you might find some shelf units there that can be cut down. I say this cos the price of wood is really high in the uk now, gone up about 50% since last year and its only going to go up again. And ready made shelves will need less finishing work to make them look nice. 

11 minutes ago, mchook said:

I sell them on ebay. I use some of the money to buy more kits, supplies & whatever else I need. Most of the time I sell them around the holidays and use the money to spoil the wife and kids a little extra. For me the fun is building the model, I'll let someone else enjoy the finished product. I know it sounds weird and I'm probably the only one here doing this, but hey, why be normal when weird can work too.

I have often thought about selling some but everytime I pick one out I think, "dang, that looks good" and back in the box it go's, Lol!

1 minute ago, stitchdup said:

Do you have a furniture recycling yard or simialr local? you might find some shelf units there that can be cut down. I say this cos the price of wood is really high in the uk now, gone up about 50% since last year and its only going to go up again. And ready made shelves will need less finishing work to make them look nice. 

The yards won't let anyone take anything from there, though I've seen plenty of the workers fill their cars at the end of the day! Yeah, recycled cabinetes would work, I didn't think of that. The space I plan on using is each side of the fireplace, narrow but very tall, about nine foot.

I have about half of them in a rotating cabinet in my half of the basement where I build and the other half over my desk in single cases. I have one in our den that is of my wife’s dream car (so it was aloud upstairs) and I have one on my desk at work…

75575C7C-A5A7-40ED-9237-F6A317CE99BD.jpeg

I have my built models displayed throughout my house (I'm single, I can get away with it). There's a cool vintage curio cabinet with most of my 1/24 builds, a metal IKEA curio cabinet with my 1/12 builds, and several small plexiglass and wood cases with single builds I really like around the house. Ironically, the only place I don't have any models displayed is the den where I do most of my building. When I get my 1/24 cabinet in the living room filled, I'm planning on building a wall-mounted case to go in there.  I added acrylic risers to the existing shelving in the display cases to improve visibility and add room. I don't like the idea of taking something I'm proud of and spend a lot of money and time on and hiding it away. I want my models to be part of my environment. That being said, I have culled some "shelf models" from time to time to make room for newer and better builds. Some of them have been given away or robbed for parts and some of them are in under-bed storage boxes. 

I could never part with them or use them for parts. I have them in wall cases and stacked in acrylic cases on shelves. I have the first two I started back building and  then I start loosing the order. When I run out of room I will figure something out..

• 1 month later...

This is a photo in my garden cabin about 6-7 years ago, I now have three more of these display cabinets in there now and a spray booth. They are IKEA Billy Bookcases with a glass door supplied as an extra. All of the shelves are clear plexiglass cut from a 6footx 4foot sheets.

photo-th.jpg

I only have a couple dozen completed that I keep on the shelving units on each side of the television in the basement. My wife was cleaning out the bookcase in the den upstairs yesterday. So I told her she could give away all the books and I would have lots of room for more models in there. I wound up with one shelf.

12A50B10-6B88-470E-8035-9947C78437DE.jpeg

12 hours ago, Dominik said:

Oh, A.J., i see the General 4.4.0 in your cabinet. have some pictures more please?

It was a cool build. I'd have to remove everything on the bottom shelf to get it out. It won a few awards in its day. The tender is full of wood I split. 

57 minutes ago, NOBLNG said:

What do you do with all your bookcases?🤪

I store more models as I build them. I have one that is 40" long by 28" high that has a wood frame with a glass top, sides and two doors that has mostly Diecast on display. The rest are displayed in two 3' by 6' high and a 3' by 4' high that have 5 each adjustable shelves. I'm keeping an eye out for another sale at this time.  

On 10/26/2021 at 7:20 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

"

"built kits"...

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the concept.

You should enter one into "Bring out your dead" I think all of us as builders have unfinished kits, even when they're finished. Nearly every build of mine I look back on and think "I should have added that" or "that doesn't look right" Lol.