Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Carroll Shelby Thread

Aesthetically the earlier Cobra developed from the AC Ace as shown in the first post of this thread with wire wheels was a very attractive looking car.

The later versions with flared out wheel arches and wide alloys made the car look a bit more brutal in appearance.

I have an old Frog kit (that I think may have been made under licence from AMT) that depicts the earlier version that I keep getting out of the box. It was partly built when I got it and thus far have stripped the hand painted job off the body. I think with a bit of work it has some potential.

1 hour ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Aesthetically the earlier Cobra developed from the AC Ace as shown in the first post of this thread with wire wheels was a very attractive looking car.

The later versions with flared out wheel arches and wide alloys made the car look a bit more brutal in appearance.

I have an old Frog kit (that I think may have been made under licence from AMT) that depicts the earlier version that I keep getting out of the box. It was partly built when I got it and thus far have stripped the hand painted job off the body. I think with a bit of work it has some potential.

That Frog kit sounds cool! ... And I agree about the early Cobras. Though I like all of them, the earliest ones had a more delicate look to them ... kinda like fine china, if you will.... I really like the look of the AC Ace also.

A1BE6954-AC21-47A4-BFA7-5AB8A1901231.jpeg.945b95c4958f2739ed7a2d5f720dcde8.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Would love to see some photos of the Frog kit.

3 hours ago, afx said:

My AC Ace conversion project:

DSCN5246DSCN5271DSCN3620

JC, great link there to your WIP, thanks for posting it... You’re a master of this craft that’s for sure! The car’s body and engine are perfect. I have never seen a trans kit for this on Randy’s store... is it still in the works with Harold? Is there another store distributing it? Just curious as to the overall status... This is one I could see nearly every Shelby buff wanting. I am truly looking forward to seeing those two builds when they are completed!

Having watched the U tube video by the Carrol Shelby auto historian the name AC was mentioned a number of times, and development done by Shelby and Ford.

There is no mention whatsoever that the AC Ace from which the Cobra is derived was a British sports car built at Thames Ditton in Surrey, a county just south of London, and the first Cobras I believe were built using bodies that were shipped.

Josh put up some lovely pictures of an early Ace in his post, and a really fine example of an early Cobra with wire wheels in his following one.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Jon ... That’s the prettiest one I’ve seen! ... I guess it must be the red.

Heres a ride along and a lot of yacking in an Aceca ... Found it off of afx’s link ... As I watched it I just kept thinking, “how much money does this guy have anyway?” ....Wouldn’t it be nice?.....

Edited by Venom

2 hours ago, Venom said:

Thanks Jon ... That’s the prettiest one I’ve seen! ... I guess it must be the red.

Heres a ride along and a lot of yacking in an Aceca ... Found it off of afx’s link ... As I watched it I just kept thinking, “how much money does this guy have anyway?” ....Wouldn’t it be nice?.....

Great video, thanks for posting

Edited by Jon Haigwood

Story from January 1957:

Dale Duncan puts out a fire in his Allard's engine compartment during the 1000 kilometer endurance race in Buenos Aires, Argentina, by urinating on it.  His co-driver, Carroll Shelby, had thrown the fire extinguisher out of the car to save weight. They finish tenth.

This was also the race that got Shelby noticed by John Wyer, who later hired him to race for Aston Martin.

• Haha 2

49D2608F-A888-4C41-8608-75BD4429F2ED.thumb.jpeg.6a502c4317538ffb589f3c174a9fd96d.jpegMy first book report in school was “ The Cobra Story”  When my cousin and I watched the cars go by his house really fast. He lived in Torrance Calif. I have always wanted a cobra but the car was always so expensive and just out of my financial reach. I remember watching the cars being built. We were trespassing , heck we were so young, we did not know what that meant. So a guy took us on a tour. We did not know what we were looking at but thought it was cool. In 1995 I went to laguna seca with my GT 350 for the 30 year reunion  of shelbys world championship. He signed some things for me. I met Bob Bondurant and some of the other drivers. Never owned a cobra but at least I had a mustang. Just a great time .   Photos of my Shelby and my friend Marks 289 cobra

7FE776E7-1441-423B-85B4-577B45123836.jpeg

813DCA6C-AC97-4426-9A9C-B45EF5B83D7F.jpeg

4088EF64-F68F-470C-AFE2-73D390DE2F23.jpeg

BEF6FA09-022D-454B-BFAA-97119CD36111.jpeg

BD6A1431-E5E0-4BEB-BF62-C2E78878174C.jpeg

• Like 1

First off let me say I have nothing up the up most respect for Mr. Shelby and all that he accomplished in his life. A tid bit about the first Mustang 350 GT that I ever saw. The Ford dealership in Riverside Ca. had one on the showroom floor and was having a hard time selling it because of the price. Had I known then what I have come to learn as life went on is that I have hated myself for not having the good sense to have bought it at the time. As I recall it cost about as much as a loaded Air Conditioned full size Ford. Two different type of buyers but you can see why it was a hard sell at the time.  

I have not always known who he was and what he have done. My first experience with a Shelby product was the Series 1 that he made. I was a teen at the time and I liked the specs of it not just how it looked. Did PS of it with a viper roof, which a fellow member built in to a model way later probably without seeing the rendering. I did my take on the Shelby series 1 with a wide body, new front, custom hood, supercharged engine with side exhaust, other wheels brakes and tires, racing seats with my first PÉ belts. A fellow builder “Proosen” @ AF found it published in a Swedish mag, as the only car from that show in 2005. Quite a achievement considering the quality of the build that wasn’t the best. But many liked the look of it. I Have a plan to make a similar build in the future.  Just some pictures of an altered Shelby..
0D46C2B0-E211-45BD-80E2-D9C4A1E78D86.thumb.jpeg.e19250534a851803307aab3add8d5fc8.jpeg

581CA7EC-2084-433F-A990-D0A0F5D65F9C.jpeg.15b5026fb8052284950861de2208e4d3.jpeg
CC41B8E7-3709-45E6-B904-3EEEE4BEC875.jpeg.61886b61b5c050bba3ff928f1be591be.jpeg

0D6AE6AC-A01D-4D6E-AE7D-2DB6E742EF4E.jpeg.ad79af4ace618d9089b9b42916cf7743.jpeg

84D78E9B-2083-4F0D-9EFA-46A5479B528F.jpeg.5a0958d20140c25d431efd041ab34a48.jpeg

Edited by Mattilacken
  • Like 1