Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Chrysler 300

Mopar - D

This is a resin kit I picked up years ago and I’ve just finished my Autocar Auto Transporter loaded with all 1970 Mopars and I want to mix the load of Dodge’s and Plymouth’s up with a Chrysler so here’s the Chrysler. I’m going to open up the curbside with the use of the 68 Revell Charger. This is a very thick resin body and I’ve got a lot of clean up work ahead of me. I’m going with a Deep Water Blue and a White vinyl top. The interior is going to be Mopar white and black. 

B42DE543-96C2-4BA9-9E47-33C6F5B23FB0.jpeg

3BE276CB-8EC2-4E8C-8406-667C905D601C.jpeg

21F6378C-EF66-49F2-9B7E-5A7DB797D303.jpeg

FD0001F0-2560-4319-858D-6538960BB64D.jpeg

That's gonna be a sweet car Dan. I've built one of those and have another still in my stash. Biggest job was carefully thinning it down around the windshield and rear window so the glass would fit 1/2 decent. I also took some of the "V" from the top of the windshield. I'm pretty sure it should be a smoother curve but I could be wrong on that.

I didn't open the hood on the one I built but the sheet metal of the inner panels looks more like typical GM inner fenders than the B-body engine bay.

69chry105237-9-lightbox.jpg

Here's a link to a '69 for sale with a three good underhood pics.

https://classicautoshowplace.com/vehicles/149/1969-chrysler-300-base

On 11/6/2021 at 9:22 AM, Can-Con said:

That's gonna be a sweet car Dan. I've built one of those and have another still in my stash. Biggest job was carefully thinning it down around the windshield and rear window so the glass would fit 1/2 decent. I also took some of the "V" from the top of the windshield. I'm pretty sure it should be a smoother curve but I could be wrong on that.

I didn't open the hood on the one I built but the sheet metal of the inner panels looks more like typical GM inner fenders than the B-body engine bay.

Thanks Steve for sharing this reference picture and link. I’m planning on using the round inner wheel wells. I’ve spent the last 2 days filing and sanding around the windows  

23 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

Have you considered making the Hurst Edition 300H?

Chrysler 300H.jpg

Hurst 300H.jpg

Thanks Bill I’ve checked the Hurst 300 and have seen a resin body for it. This one is just going to be a factory stock to go on my Auto Transporter. 

22 hours ago, slusher said:

Looking forward to the build Dan..

Thanks Carl. 

21 hours ago, Bainford said:

Neat! Looking forward to this build. 

Thanks Trevor

12 hours ago, tbill said:

Looking forward to this, going to be a great looking build.

Thanks Tom

12 hours ago, Zippi said:

Nice kit.  That blue and white lacquer should look pretty good.  

Thanks Bob 

9 hours ago, Steve H said:

Hi Dan, I’ll be watching this one for sure. I have wanted this kit for years but I was unsure about the quality. My dad had a ‘73 Dodge Monaco 500 that was similar in size and shape. I really like the unusual builds.

Cheers, Steve

Thanks Steve the body looks good but very thick and the interior door panels are incorrect. 

8 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

I'd love to see a mainstream release of this. Awesome looking car. Look forward to seeing it progress.

Thanks Gareth 

7 hours ago, espo said:

This should be interesting, I'm looking forward to seeing this build.  

Thanks David 

On 11/6/2021 at 7:22 AM, Can-Con said:

Steve, was yours the candy olive one that was in SAE contest cars a while back? 

23 hours ago, Steve H said:

Wow! That is thick! The hood looks like it’s about 3 scale inches thick. Yikes! Nothing a bunch of grinding and sanding won’t fix…

Cheers, Steve

It’s been a lot of filing and sanding but I think I’ve got it pretty close now. 

22 hours ago, Tuffy's Garage said:

Looks to be a great project can't wait to see it finished

Charlie I’m going to be moving right along with this one. 

22 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Yes, that would be the one. I hope Dan won't mind me posting the pic, I don't want to hi-jack his thread.

IMG 0850

Nice build I’m hoping mine will be just as nice. 

Very cool project Dan, I love those big Chrysler and 1970 was a very good year for this manufacturer!  You have a very expensive load on your carrier, a Mopar fanatic's dream for sure...  Resin kits are always the most interesting subject but also require more work.  The rarity of the subject always brings a lot of comments and discussions from the enthusiasts of this fantastic hobby.  I will definitely be back to see your progress, I love unusual subjects! 😁

On 11/8/2021 at 7:35 PM, gotnitro? said:

Good looking build Dan ! Looking forward to your progress 

Thanks Jeff

On 11/9/2021 at 8:53 AM, catpack68 said:

Looking forward to seeing the progress on it. I have a resin 70 Chrysler 300 but yours looks a LOT better than one I have.Not sure who made it.I got it in a trade last year.

FD6D2999-ECA2-4D61-B09A-CCA5A5F8636E.jpeg

Thanks Scott yours is the Hurst 300 H that I’ve seen before with fewer parts and no chrome. 

On 11/9/2021 at 9:35 AM, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Very cool project Dan, I love those big Chrysler and 1970 was a very good year for this manufacturer!  You have a very expensive load on your carrier, a Mopar fanatic's dream for sure...  Resin kits are always the most interesting subject but also require more work.  The rarity of the subject always brings a lot of comments and discussions from the enthusiasts of this fantastic hobby.  I will definitely be back to see your progress, I love unusual subjects! 😁

Thanks Francis you know I like the unusual subjects to build. In time I’m going to change out 2 of the Challengers with a 70’s Cuda (Revell) and a 70’s GTX (JoHan). 

16 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

This appears to be the Hurst 300H version. Very cool

Thanks Scott