Model Cars Magazine Forum

Atlantis '57 Chevy

Mr mopar

I built a 1998 issue a few years back...Revell did some cleanup back then.  After that issue, Revell parked the tooling and only dusted it off for the Ed Roth issue.  Not as crisp as 1963, but not as terrible as some would have you believe.  That said, I do hope Atlantis tools up new clear parts.  They will have to do so for the '56 should they decide to reissue that one.

• 2 weeks later...

I am now curious to see what Atlantis does with this kit. Are there any old parts that can be restored to it?

Or is it just going to be decals and tires?

What tires did the Roth issues come with?

I see that the decals on the Gasser version shown here, look like they have a Ratfink on the door, and some Roth stripes on the Roof. I wonder if part of the Roth decals will carry over into the new issue/

• 3 months later...

Now that this kit is hitting shelves, anyone care to share the kit contents and thoughts?

I hear that they didn't touch the glass tooling, so they windshield and backlite will take careful gluing to secure in their respective openings?

Some have complained that the drag version consists of a straight axle and blower. Not even a set of their excellent newly-tooled slicks?

Edited by Mr. Metallic

5 hours ago, Mark said:

The Atlantis slicks won't fit without radiusing the rear wheel openings.  They also won't fit the wheels provided in the Chevy kit.

Thanks for the explanation. I updated my above statement since it wasn't even I that was upset of the "lack of drag equipment"

I complained about this kit in another thread but will give a little info here. Bought it because the box said build a drag version but the contents don't support that very much. Kit has 4 passenger car tires, no roll bar, stock exhaust system, etc. Yes, a straight front axle, engine choices and some headers that I had to really look for to recognize them being headers. Not what I expected for drag headers.

It's basically a passenger car with a couple things included as options but not what I would advertise as a drag car. Oh, the front and rear glass fit is terrible.

I believe I built this car when I was a kid and know what to expect as an old tool but hoped there were improvements made and parts added for a drag car.

11 minutes ago, TonyK said:

I complained about this kit in another thread but will give a little info here. Bought it because the box said build a drag version but the contents don't support that very much. Kit has 4 passenger car tires, no roll bar, stock exhaust system, etc. Yes, a straight front axle, engine choices and some headers that I had to really look for to recognize them being headers. Not what I expected for drag headers.

It's basically a passenger car with a couple things included as options but not what I would advertise as a drag car. Oh, the front and rear glass fit is terrible.

I believe I built this car when I was a kid and know what to expect as an old tool but hoped there were improvements made and parts added for a drag car.

It's a little disappointing reading this.  Seems to be more of a kit that enables a builder to construct a day two 57 Chevy.

Edited by GMP440

Been reading the comments and think one has to give this company some slack, they were a small time operation or at least gave that impression to me, which more or less, were given a ton of obsolete  (to the new owners of what was once Revell-Monogram) tooling and started putting what was production ready or almost, into..... well, production.

On some they had to re-create parts, so a tool which only had scrap value, could again eject commercial product and make them money.

All of this costs truckloads of money, and frankly I'm amazed they're pulling it off, and have plans to do even more.

So kudos to them, and looking forward to what they will do next.....

• Like 5

13 hours ago, TonyK said:

I never build a kit expecting to bust it out the way I want it using only the parts in the box. Window fit not withstanding, the Revell 57 is in many areas much more accurate than the ubiquitous AMT 57. Especially the wonky side trim on the AMT. 

• Like 1

Mark me down for a nostalgia grab! It's not the first time a model company has played loosely with the phrase "2-in-1", looking at YOU, AMT/ERTL. Some of those were sort of two things in one - both a model and a travesty in one box. Part of my fascination comes from the challenge of wanting to see how much ( if any) I can improve over my boyhood build. If I want to build a drag car, I know I can source all the parts I need without leaving the house. Most of us have a stash we could never have dreamed of having as kids, so not really a big issue there.

Edited by bisc63
added info
  • Like 1