Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Winnebago D27 Chieftain

I just started this Winnebago project. I wanted to get a bit of a start before starting a topic. I'm to the point of adding the ribbing on the sides. There are pros and cons for adding the ribbing before windows and details, or after. I thought it served me better in this case to add it last. It's all sheet styrene, Evergreen strips, or cast copies of various louver arrangements. This will probably be on again, off again, as I will have paying projects to do here and there. Follow along if you have the time.             MODERATOR: If this should be in the Big Rig section, please move it.

DSCN1108.JPG

DSCN1109.JPG

Edited by Repstock
  • Like 4

The glass for the sides is done. I've got it covered in tape for protection. The "glass" is .060 Plexiglas, so the optical clarity is outstanding. The window frames form a ledge that the glass lays on from the inside. When I make the interior walls, I'll make the window openings the same size as the outer frame openings. As the glass is the same thickness as the body sides (.060), the glass will be trapped. No glue needed. I'll probably flow some Future, or whatever it's called now, around the edges to tack the glass in place before trapping it. I notice I missed some lower side detail, so that's next.

DSCN1112.JPG

DSCN1113.JPG

• Like 1

Wow, I'm amazed at the size and scope of the project, but also at the precision cutting and alignment of the many elements in it! Do you use an aid to cutting square, are openings cut by hand and then corners filed in? I've never been able to get this kind of accuracy resulting in a lot of remediation later on in the build.

Very impressive work, Tom!

6 hours ago, hct728(Bob) said:

Wow, I'm amazed at the size and scope of the project, but also at the precision cutting and alignment of the many elements in it! Do you use an aid to cutting square, are openings cut by hand and then corners filed in? I've never been able to get this kind of accuracy resulting in a lot of remediation later on in the build.

Very impressive work, Tom!

I'm a file and sandpaper guy, so everything's by hand. I'd love to have the mini machine tools, but I have neither the money nor the space. I do have a trick for the window frames which I'll add once I create visual aids. Thank you for your kind words.

Edited by Repstock
  • Like 1

I got a bit further. The back didn't give me too much trouble, but I had quite a few missteps on the front "eyebrow" portion before I got it right. The floor is kind of fictitious up front, but I need that front "point" on the floor to get my front end angle set. It'll look OK when viewed from beneath, and the front of the floor will be hidden as the driver's area is raised above the main floor. I appreciate everyone who has been following along, I hope this has been worth watching. I intend to describe how I did certain things, but then I get in the zone, and don't want to stop. At this point I think I'll stop and hang out with the family.

1-29-22 (1).JPG

1-29-22 (2).JPG

1-29-22 (3).JPG

• Like 1

I had to order the strips I need to make the grille area, so while I wait, I've gotten a few small things done. I've added the raised floor for the driver's area, made the windshield frame, and cut out the "glass" for the windshield and rear window. Not much, but still moving forward...

02-01-22 (1).JPG

02-01-22 (2).JPG

• Like 1