Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Winnebago D27 Chieftain

Very interesting project. I scratch build antique travel trailers and really appreciate the work you are doing here. There are endless measurements necessary plus the issues of keeping panels straight and square. Congratulations on what you're doing. I'll be following along.

Some of the cleanest scratchbuilding I've seen. Excellent work!

3 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

What engine do these beasts use? Is it from a readily available kit, or will you be scratching that too?

I think these old Winnies used either a Dodge or Ford V8, so there should be plenty of options to pick from. I think. :)

1 hour ago, iamsuperdan said:

I think these old Winnies used either a Dodge or Ford V8, so there should be plenty of options to pick from. I think. :)

Deep in some formerly dormant brain cells, was a recollection that most large motorhomes of this vintage were on Dodge chassis and had 413 "truck" engines that excited a lot of wrecking yard shoppers that they had found a 440. I found a 1970 Winnebago brochure online today, and it said that they were indeed on Dodge chassis, but they came with a 318. Even the 27-footer.  

And I would SO buy this if it was made available in resin, even if I had to scratch the interior, and supply the engine, trans, and wheels.

https://www.rvroundtable.com/wp-content/uploads/winnebago/1970/1970.DSeries.pdf

Edited by Rodent

That grille is a thing of absolute beauty!  I'm loving this build so far. My parents had a "Winnie" briefly that looked a lot like this. Mechanically it was a lemon, and smelled funny. I distinctly remember feeling very carsick sitting at the dining room table while were underway. I think it had a 318 or a 360 in it?