Model Cars Magazine Forum

'62 Metallic Blue Bullet Bird

rightrudder

Got 'er done! For the most part, I'm really pleased with the result. Paint is Tamiya acrylic Metallic Blue with Mr. Hobby clear coat.

The two disappointments are a somewhat warped hood, so there's an uneven gap from the leading edge to the grille; and the wipers--they were real blobs of chrome, and when I stripped them, there wasn't much there in the way of detail.

I decided to leave the hoses out of the engine bay to better show off the plug wires. I might add a few more etched metal details, like the script forward of the front wheel wells, but I sort of like the cleaner look without them.

Thanks for looking!

IMG_6406.jpg.39f2497fed01dcbb737ab23afa58ab79.jpg

IMG_6401.jpg.8ddb708434137ef6cc1e8f853988f8c0.jpg

IMG_6367.jpg.bff6c9d3dc68a8d7f9ea4d7d51e19540.jpg

IMG_6409.jpg.6a2fb1684e597d52f535f9ff1324779f.jpg

IMG_6396.jpg.bc2d31a03417104026628363f8e19f67.jpg

IMG_6366.jpg.d39f66f171b72b73ed5cce6e336ae8f4.jpg

IMG_6392.jpg.2bf414b7aa4f13a0799f7819fdca2018.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, bisc63 said:

Oh yes! LOVE the blue-on-blue scheme.

1 hour ago, gseeds said:

Beautiful Bird ! 

Thanks, guys! It was a pleasure to build...certainly a bit harder than the Tamiya stuff I'm used to. The parts on these AMTs need a little more "persuasion" to fit together sometimes.

• Like 1

So much to like here, but the thing that initially drew me in was the paint.  We don't see a lot of builds that use Tamiya acrylics, but they obviously work well, especially with the clear you chose.  Did you also deepen the door lines?  

The interior has the right sheen and that blue goes very well with the body color.  Overall, this build seems to check all the right boxes.  Looking for ward to your next project.  

Edited by Monty

Thanks, guys! You are all too kind! The foil was definitely the hardest part. I haven't used BMF before, but I've done lots of covering jobs on rc planes with MonoKote and  lighter heat shrink films, so the process wasn't unfamiliar. I watched a video on it, which offered the great advice of trimming it in the morning, when your mind is fresh and your hand is steady. Definitely a lot of apprehension leading up to that phase!

2 hours ago, Monty said:

So much to like here, but the thing that initially drew me in was the paint.  We don't see a lot of builds that use Tamiya acrylics, but they obviously work well, especially with the clear you chose.  Did you also deepen the door lines?  

The interior has the right sheen and that blue goes very well with the body color.  Overall, this build seems to check all the right boxes.  Looking for ward to your next project.  

Hey Monty, I did scribe the panel lines, but not excessively. They're pretty deep right out of the mold. The interior paint went on pretty flat, but I glossed up the outer bolsters and dash a little with the ol' nose oil trick!