Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mild Custom '64 Pontiac Parisienne

Can-Con

Somewhat shocking at first to see a 409 in Pontiac blue. But it makes sense that that is the way it must have been. Always interesting to see the differences between the American and Canadian cars of this era. I often found the Canadian cars often had a little more trim on them. The body here looks great. 

5 hours ago, espo said:

Somewhat shocking at first to see a 409 in Pontiac blue. But it makes sense that that is the way it must have been. Always interesting to see the differences between the American and Canadian cars of this era. I often found the Canadian cars often had a little more trim on them. The body here looks great. 

I don't think that came that way though David. We've had many Pontiacs in the family over the years and I don't remember any of them being "Pontiac blue".  

Every Canadian Pontiac engine I've ever seen was regular Chevy engine orange/red.

Doesn't matter in this case anyway as being a custom, the engine in this build will match the body color.

BTW, if you do a Google image search for "Parisienne 409" that is the only blue one that comes up. 

Edited by Can-Con
  • Like 2

Interesting. I always thought, at least to my eye, that Chevy and Pontiac shared the roof stamping, even on the American cars. I was also under the impression that the Canadian Pontiacs had completely unique exterior sheetmetal, not shared with anything else, unless the GP is close enough.

I'm curious to see how it all comes out.

Charlie Larkin

That is excellent work, Steve.

7 hours ago, charlie8575 said:

I was also under the impression that the Canadian Pontiacs had completely unique exterior sheetmetal, not shared with anything else, unless the GP is close enough.

The only real differences in the sheetmetal would be the areas where they were adapted to the chev superstructure. The Parisienne etc are basically identical in size to the Catalina, Ventura and GP. The difference in wheelbase - 2"- is accounted for by moving the front wheels back an inch in the wheel opening and the rear wheels forward. Some years have a minor difference in overall length against the US model due to the bumper brackets adapted to the chev frame. 

2 minutes ago, mk11 said:

That is excellent work, Steve.

The only real differences in the sheetmetal would be the areas where they were adapted to the chev superstructure. The Parisienne etc are basically identical in size to the Catalina, Ventura and GP. The difference in wheelbase - 2"- is accounted for by moving the front wheels back an inch in the wheel opening and the rear wheels forward. Some years have a minor difference in overall length against the US model due to the bumper brackets adapted to the chev frame. 

Right, floorpans would be different with the different chassis design..(Chevy X-frame vs Pontiac perimeter frame)...maybe a narrower track also, if Chevy had a narrower track than Pontiac's 'wide track' (or was that just marketing hoo-ha?)

In 59/60, the US pontiac front track was nearly 64" vs the chev at just over 60". Made the chev running gear very conspicuous on the cdn cars. By the the mid 60s, though, the difference was only about an inch per side; barely noticeable.

It's "Metalspecs" transparent blue over Tremclad metallic silver with more Duplicolor on the roof but with a much finer flake that looks more of a pearl finish.
It looks a bit more to the purple side in these pics then it actually is.

IMG 3254

IMG 3255

And a shot of the 409 sitting in the mocked up engine bay.

IMG 3256

Edited by Can-Con

• 2 weeks later...

finished the paint and foiling but still need to run some black around the window openings before I install the glass.

IMG 3261

IMG 3262

,,and this is the final combination of parts for the engine. Just the stock assembly with the finned valve covers and I molotow penned the intake manifold and air cleaner. I think I'll drill out that snorkel on the air cleaner later.

IMG 3263

IMG 3264

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The Parisienne Sport interior is almost identical to a Grand Prix, which this model is based on. The only real big difference is it should have an Impala console but seeing as this is a custom, I didn't bother changing them since almost no one would know the difference anyway.

2v2aGNjeax2A694.jpg

2v2aGNjQZx2A694.jpg

2v2aGNj1ux2A694.jpg

Great looking color combo. Nice work on the mild custom. I may have to do a similar grill idea on my 64 GP. Someone heavily glued the grills in and I broke one trying to remove it. Making it flat instead of the slight curve it has in it may be the easiest solution unless I can find a replacement.

Love where you're headed. I'll be watching.

Later-

• Like 1