Model Cars Magazine Forum

71 Duster stocker

Glen Powers

After seeing newer cars with this type of grey I wanted to do a model with it and for a change of pace something other than a Chevy. So this is the result of that thought process. It's the AMT kit with Tamiya lacquers and Model Master Wet Look Clear, some of the scratch built items were the roll bar, headers, and various other bits and pieces. Replaced the manual trans with a resin Torqueflite and a used a host of other aftermarket pieces. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out but feel free to comment or any questions.

thanks, Glen

IMG_0300.JPG

IMG_0295.JPG

IMG_0358.JPG

IMG_0314.JPG

IMG_0313.JPG

IMG_0278.JPG

IMG_0281.JPG

IMG_0319.JPG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Very, very, nice.  Lots of intricate work and thought went in to this model.  Where did you get the narrow front tires?  Shapeways Caltracs?  Why the stock fuel tank and not a “hidden in trunk” fuel cell?  Did you use a particular race car as a guide?  Reminds me of my friend Mark Poole’s car.  Again, kudos, for a sharp build of my favorite type of race cars.

On 2/12/2022 at 9:54 AM, afx said:

Very nice.

On 2/12/2022 at 9:54 AM, Hmann68 said:

Looks great! Super nice under the hood too!!👍

22 hours ago, Nitrobarry said:

EXCELLENT build of a contemporary stock eliminator drag car! Well done!

4 hours ago, PappyD340 said:

Outstanding!!

18 minutes ago, Oliver77 said:

Man it looks great but I don't want to take a ride-along until you get some passenger belts!

Killer job on so many details.

JC, Chris, Barry, Larry, and Jeff: Thanks for your comments and taking the time to respond.

Glen

On 2/12/2022 at 10:56 AM, R. Thorne said:

Very, very, nice.  Lots of intricate work and thought went in to this model.  Where did you get the narrow front tires?  Shapeways Caltracs?  Why the stock fuel tank and not a “hidden in trunk” fuel cell?  Did you use a particular race car as a guide?  Reminds me of my friend Mark Poole’s car.  Again, kudos, for a sharp build of my favorite type of race cars.

Ron, thanks I very much appreciate it. The tires came from the Revell pro stock Olds Cutlass. The Caltracs are from 3D Model Specialties I cut them from the springs they were on and used the kit springs. As for the trunk I didn't do very much at all on the underside as after it goes to a few shows it stays on the shelf, but I probably should have. it's not based on any one car but more a collection of current stocker trends.

Thanks, Glen 

44 minutes ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

WOW!  Nice work Glen, very nice and clean build, I really like this grey, it's different from the usual colors and it fits like a glove! 👍

Francis, coming from you I am very flattered indeed. It seems that the color is kind of a love/hate thing with people but I wanted something contemporary and thought it would work.

Thanks again, Glen

Super nice VS29H1B there! I really like the blue engine vs. the typical orange (May 1971 & later 340s were painted Chrysler Engine "1972 Blue").

How much wrestling was involved in fitting that Torqueflite in that tunnel? I'm enquiring, as years ago I test-fit an AMT 340 (from their '71 Duster) which was mated-to the 727 trans (from their '71 Charger), and the assembly wouldn't fit (ended up putting that combo in the Street Machine version in order to replicate a '71 Super Bee 340).

19 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Super nice VS29H1B there! I really like the blue engine vs. the typical orange (May 1971 & later 340s were painted Chrysler Engine "1972 Blue").

How much wrestling was involved in fitting that Torqueflite in that tunnel? I'm enquiring, as years ago I test-fit an AMT 340 (from their '71 Duster) which was mated-to the 727 trans (from their '71 Charger), and the assembly wouldn't fit (ended up putting that combo in the Street Machine version in order to replicate a '71 Super Bee 340).

John, thanks so much. One of the benefits of a race car over say a replica stock build is the freedom on things like colors I thought that blue would be a good contrast with the gray. No, the tranny didn't fit at all! After I had it located and pinned to the engine block I spent some quality time with the Dremel and luckily none of it shows.

Thanks again, Glen 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Great job.Love them Mopars

18 hours ago, bisc63 said:

Beautiful! Love the realistic finishes, and the color. Very cleanly executed details under the hood put it over the top! Very nicely done; one to be proud of.

14 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Outstanding! VERY clean build. Well done and model on! B)

3 hours ago, Zippi said:

Really nice clean looking build.  Great attention to detail.  Just a nice build all around.  

Ron, Rusty, Richard, and Bob, really great for you all to send your positive comments and I thank you.

Glen

17 hours ago, gbdolfans said:

Great job on this Duster !!! Which grey is this? Details look spot on.

George

15 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Glen!

World class detailing and finish, bravo!

That grey is very contemporary. You mentionned it is Tamya's lacquer. Is-it spray can (TS) or small lacquer bottles? care to share the number?

Just curious...

CT

George and Claude, thanks for checking in and glad you liked the color it's Tamiya TS-66 IJN gray (kure arsn) not sure if it's available in the small bottles as these are not very plentiful in my area. I appreciate your positive feedback very much.

Thanks again, glen