Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT 1966 Mustang GT -- Original Annual & Modified Reissue

Casey

1 hour ago, stavanzer said:

Awesome Build. Is that a 'real' Mustang colour option from back then?

Probably, but not sure. That's what was on it when I bought it off eBay. I just cleaned it up and gave it a little Snake-Fu. One of the cleanest eBay models I ever bought. B)

• Like 3

Built one of these when they first came out many moons ago. As I remember, I used about a tube of that wonderful "putty" that came in AMT kits, just on the side vent filler. was a good kit for the tome. Like I said it was many many moons.

4 hours ago, Motor City said:

They had a dark green and a turquoise available for '66.

A greenish Metallic Turquoise is a beautiful color but I'm not sure about it being a factory '66 Ford paint color.

(I've used the now-gone Model Master 2945 Turquoise Metallic in the past but I've never seen the Testors 'Extreme Lacquer' 371165Turquoise version before.)

Bottom pic: 1966 Ford Tahoe Turquoise Poly

1966mustangcolorcodes.jpg

TTMM2945.jpg

Unknown.jpeg

1966-Mustang-fastback-GT-Tahoe-Turquoise-Pony-interior-Redline-1-1.jpg

Edited by blizzy63
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, blizzy63 said:

A greenish Metallic Turquoise is a beautiful color but I'm not sure about it being a factory '66 Ford paint color.

(I've used the now-gone Model Master 2945 Turquoise Metallic in the past but I've never seen the Testors 'Extreme Lacquer' 371165Turquoise version before.)

IF you can find it, Testors #2945 is pretty close to Tahoe Turquoise.  

None of the Testors Model Master lacquers are a very good match. 

I've never seen the Extreme Lacquer turquoise; from what I've seen online it appears to be a metallic version of Model Master Tropical Turquoise (as seen on the AMT Round2 '57 Chev box from 2009) 

zzzzzzz.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, blizzy63 said:

1966mustangcolorcodes.jpg

TTMM2945.jpg

Unknown.jpeg

1966-Mustang-fastback-GT-Tahoe-Turquoise-Pony-interior-Redline-1-1.jpg

Thank You for the Photos and the Information!

Now I know what colour I have to get close to, when I build mine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 250 Testa Rossa said:

Mine will be painted in Emberglo 

BEAUTIFUL color on a '66 Mustang! I did the HT kit in that a long time ago, and it still looks great!  I also have an M2 1/24 diecast fastback in that color; it looks great too. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Junkman said:

I admit ignorance but what are it's differences/improvements over the Monogram/Revell 1st gen Mustang kit?  Is it just the model year 65 v 66?

This is 1/25th and based on the original AMT annuals.   And has a chassis w/ everything molded in. 

On 3/15/2023 at 2:47 PM, Snake45 said:

You mean something like this? B)

66MustangGTTurq24.jpg.e7b2e6d47b85748eef0109705534c7bb.jpg

That's way cool! 

I found this picture of a pastel green '67 Fairlane GT that I really dig. So, for my first build of the new '66 Fastback I'm using Rustoleum Ocean Mist, which seems to be a good match. White GT stripes and white interior along with the kit Torque Thrust rims will finish it off. 🏁😎

173717991_67FairlaneWintergreen.jpg.943b3c2af889249fd8382524b0ba8940.jpg

1666542757_OceanMist.jpg.69273362e79c67c7ddcbba2db45b9ee4.jpg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, The Junkman said:

I admit ignorance but what are it's differences/improvements over the Monogram/Revell 1st gen Mustang kit?  Is it just the model year 65 v 66?

The original AMT body, like most of their vintage offerings, captures the look and feel of the car better than the monogram/revell item.

On 3/16/2023 at 7:24 PM, Snake45 said:

BEAUTIFUL color on a '66 Mustang! I did the HT kit in that a long time ago, and it still looks great!  I also have an M2 1/24 diecast fastback in that color; it looks great too. 

Very true. Like Mr Wherry's turquoise coupe, I consider this one a 'benchmark' build of an original, only in emberglo....

Edited by mk11