Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pair of Deuces

Terry Jessee

Monogram Deuce roadsters. The brown one survived a cleaning woman at Sunnyvale years ago. I had perched a tray of models atop a hotel cabinet. She swept the top of the cabinet while dusting and knocked all the models onto the floor. A friend and I managed to get the Deuce back together in time for the NNL, but in spite of our best search we never could find the top braces. So I've left it that way. 

The paint job was a happy accident. The yellow plastic reacted with the primer coat to give the paint a mottled appearance. So I left that, too. Eventually, the model wound up on the cover of my last book.

The black roadster appeared in that book, too, in the chapter on painting. 

232s3.jpeg

232s1.jpeg

232s2.jpeg

32primer1.jpg

32primer2.jpg

probook.jpg

32black4.jpg

32black5.jpg

32black6.jpg

black32b.jpg

• Like 2

Great pair. Looking at the red one reminds me, that I still can't wrap my head around the fact, that after all the countless Deuce models under the sun, by pretty much every manufacturer, no one makes a decent hotrod convertible top in 1/25 scale. 

They both look great. You mention the primer on the one, and in the 1:1 if left exposed to the elements that type of appearance often happens with a primer. Great stance and the level of engine detailing. 

I always liked both of these. Probably my favorites of your builds, along with your yellow Monogram '30 Woody. The red/brown primer one reminds me of Robert Williams roadster before he ruined it with that goofy  yellow and purple paint job it has now....

Still the very best 32 kit ever made and you really took advantage of their simplicity to achieve these attractive results. I have eight of these built and another three under construction and if I found another one tomorrow, I would buy it too! The promer look is a natural on your model.

Cheers

Alan

On 7/13/2022 at 6:36 PM, larman said:

I always liked both of these. Probably my favorites of your builds, along with your yellow Monogram '30 Woody. The red/brown primer one reminds me of Robert Williams roadster before he ruined it with that goofy  yellow and purple paint job it has now....

That car was the inspiration for the primered model.