Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sunbeam Tiger vs. Shelby Cobra Duel

A fantasy Sunbeam Tiger build turned into a duel when I decided to add a Cobra build to the mix. The Cobra is also a fantasy build but more rooted in reality because I based it on csx 2026 in 63 Sebring spec but portrayed as a fictional, down a few years, privateer racer.

The challenge with the Cobra was starting with the Sunny/Minicraft/Revell kit. The kit has series 1 chassis but more or less a late series 3 S/C style body. I did my best to retrofit it to look the part by slimming it down and adding the Sebring spec flares and reshaping the nose opening as well.

With the Tiger I just had fun and built big fender flares. My first time doing body alterations...lots of learning in the process.

Many scratch built components or detailing stuff from the formidable aftermarket sources, all detailed in the w.i.p. section.

All finishes brush painted using a mix of Vallejo and Tamiya products.

Thank you for watching

Duel 1.jpg

Duel 2.jpg

Duel 3.jpg

Duel 4.jpg

Duel 5.jpg

Duel 6.jpg

Duel 7.jpg

Duel 8.jpg

Duel 9.jpg

Duel 10.jpg

Duel 11.jpg

Duel 12.jpg

Duel 13.jpg

Duel 14.jpg

Duel 15.jpg

• Like 7

Power to the people - excellent models, Pierre - both very well done! I like them both very much - with fantasy racers you have your  free choice of colors, decals and modifications which can be sometimes very rewarding:

just to have the liberty to build a racer of your own (and not to be obliged to replicate each and every detail to come as close to the real car as possible) - very nice!

49 minutes ago, kjohan said:

Really nice pair

Read through the WIP.  very useful
Two questions :
- what primer did you use ?
- what clear ?
I do brush painting, though not on your level, far from, so far used  Humbrol, need to find something else now

Hi Gunnar, 

I use Vallejo primers, about 10% thinning with water, about 3  thin coats. After a few days polish with 4000 to 12,000 cloths.

Vallejo acrylic colors, thinned with Vallejo thinner to a milk like viscosity, again 3 thin coats. No polishing.

Clear is Tamiya acrylic X-22, thinned with X-20A and retarder. 2 thin coats. After a few days polished 6000 to 12,000 cloths, then Tamiya fine and finish compounds.

Regards, Pierre

• Thanks 1

Many thanks to all for the feedback and support.

First time building these 2 kits. Special thanks to JC, Rich, Gramps and others answering all my questions when I was investigating building Cobras.

First time also doing a fictional build, really it's because I did not have a way do do an exact replica for the Tiger so that's that.

Going back to studying details into replicating a real car. Again a Cobra csx 2196 (entry #1) for Andy's 64 Sebring group build. This one will be anything but OOB for sure... 

Wow. I'm loving these two builds. Everything about them is great. The extra detail, cleanliness of build, superb paint job, put on excellently with a brush and polished to perfection. I'm also enjoying the photo board as the background. I noticed the Penske Grand Sport battling it out at Nassau with the Ken Miles Cobra. Happily, the Grand Sport won that day when the big block Cobra blew up. Again, Awesome builds.