Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Camaro 70 full bumper

happy grumpy

Most definitely not the easiest kit from AMT.  A beautiful kit but , boy , fitting this critter is an exercise in patience. This thing fought me all the way to the end. As others have suggested, which I did not know at the time, is to fit the front frame/ engine assembly after the body is fitted to the chassis. Would have save me a lot of frustration. Good thing I have practically no hair left to pull. So here it is finally done, Tamiya light gun metal clear coated with TS 13 and a light polish to blend the shine with the  the decals . The wheels are from the spare parts box.

Thanks for looking

chevy 1970 camaro z28 02.jpg

chevy 1970 camaro z28 04.jpg

chevy 1970 camaro z28 05.jpg

chevy 1970 camaro z28 06.jpg

chevy 1970 camaro z28 07.jpg

chevy 1970 camaro z28 08.jpg

chevy 1970 camaro z28 09.jpg

chevy 1970 camaro z28 10.jpg

chevy 1970 camaro z28 11.jpg

chevy 1970 camaro z28 18.jpg

chevy 1970 camaro z28 19.jpg

chevy 1970 camaro z28 22.jpg

chevy 1970 camaro z28 23.jpg

chevy 1970 camaro z28 25.jpg

• Like 9

Nice job Grumpy!  I like it in gun metal. At least you didn’t lose your sense of humour. I’ve been avoiding these kits because of all the stories you hear about fitment issues. I ain’t got much hair left either so maybe I’ll give one a try too.

P.S. that last low-key lighting shot is awesome.

On 10/19/2022 at 12:40 PM, Mike C. said:

Looks nice in the Shadow Grey.

Thanks.

On 10/19/2022 at 1:02 PM, espo said:

Great looking paint color and finish. I like the engine and under hood finishes. 

Thanks David

On 10/19/2022 at 1:28 PM, 70 Sting said:

Nice job Grumpy!  I like it in gun metal. At least you didn’t lose your sense of humour. I’ve been avoiding these kits because of all the stories you hear about fitment issues. I ain’t got much hair left either so maybe I’ll give one a try too.

P.S. that last low-key lighting shot is awesome.

Thanks Harry, although not easy, I've built much worse, think early Heller kits (not the case with recent kits), the mounting of the front frame after should help a lot and dry fit everything, thrust me, it will go along way of saving your hair.😆

23 hours ago, DanL said:

Nice job... great pictures

Cheers

Thanks Dan

22 hours ago, Bronzekeg said:

x2!!

Thanks Ken

21 hours ago, spencer1984 said:

Nice clean work, that looks great!

Thanks Bill

21 hours ago, crazyjim said:

Gorgeous build and excellent pics.

Thanks Jim

20 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Another Grumpy masterpiece.  Beautiful Mario!!!👌

Thank you Mike.

20 hours ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

It turned out great, nicely done!

Thanks Craig.

18 hours ago, ea0863 said:

Fantastic build as always!

Thank you Emre.

8 hours ago, TooOld said:

That's a real beauty and I love that color , well done !

Thanks Bob

7 hours ago, FLHCAHZ said:

FANTASTIC!  Was this the kit with the orange Camaro box art?

Thank you Chaz, No it is not ,it's the recent issue with the blue car showing the full bumper.

6 hours ago, Tom99 said:

Very nice!

Thanks Tom

3 hours ago, AMT68 said:

That built up beautifully Mario. I have one of these kits and have put off building it due to the fitment issues you've described. Now that I understand what assists in the final assembly process I'll be more eager to build the kit. 

Thank you Tom, after seeing what you did with your 66 GTO, I have no doubts about your capacity to build the camaro, I am looking forward to see it built.

2 hours ago, Jim B said:

Great looking Camero.  The gun metal color is really nice. 

Is there an easy AMT car kit?  I haven't found one. 😄

Thanks Jim, There are good AMT kits out there,  ERTL AMT period comes to mind, my main gripe with AMT is the instructions, they could be improved, that would certainly help. 

1 hour ago, Slotto said:

I agree, great job on the Camaro. I've always been a fan of your work. I have never used Tamiya paint but I'm willing to give it a try after seeing this! That color is perfect and the finish is amazing 👍

Thank you Steve for your kind words, I also like your work and I have learned a lot from this forum. Although a little pricy, Tamiya paints work very well for me, their  spray lacquers are really forgiving and the cans never clogs and when they are empty they really are empty. Their primer is also really good as it is very fine and smooth. One tip before you spray, soak the can in hot tap water for a couple of minutes, it sprays even better, especially when the can is pass half empty. Hot water not boiling water, obviously. I also like their Acrylic paint for interiors or custom colors, they mix with either water or alcohol, or even Windex, If you want a gloss finish however, you can use their TS13 clear coat, it work well on either acrylics or lacquers.

• Like 1

Looks great, I really love the charcoal paint with the black super sport stripes, a great combination.  These cars have a solid place in my heart since my first new car purchase was a '73 Rally Sport 350 which I wish I still owned today.  Nice build, very clean.  I just started work on this kit, but mine will be the Number 1, Jim Hall Trans Am Camaro Chaparral in white with the metallic blue center stripe to go with my Bud Moore Mustang Trans Am that I am finishing up on..