Model Cars Magazine Forum

A detailed review of Round 2 upcoming product introductions from the 2022 NNL Motor City

tim boyd

They’re more worried about liability, and if tradename becomes colloquial, they can lose control. 
Toy looks like Vette. Kid eats Vette part, chokes. GM and toy co sued. Nope. 
Or, the funniest one, Piech/Audi buys Rolls/Bentley. 
Rolls doesn’t own Rolls name, aircraft division does. BMW buys name from RR Aero. Whizzes in Piech’s cereal. 
Big lawyer money, so less greedy corps, more greedy lawyers. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mikos said:

Greedy corporations….what else is new. lol   They don’t seem to realize things like this help sell their products too.

I always wondered if licensing was a big part of why models are so expensive, because for the most part, those AMT display cases were about the same price for 15 years but the model cars went up 3×

I was thinking about this before covid of course, and everything went up since 

Edited by Hondamatic

12 minutes ago, Hondamatic said:

I always wondered if licensing was a big part of why models are so expensive, because for the most part, those AMT display cases were about the same price for 15 years but the model cars went up 3×

I was thinking about this before covid of course, and everything went up since 

My first encounter with the licensing bollocks was in 1988. It's definitely an eighties thing; college boy rubbish. 
Look at Monogram/Revell kits' tyres since c.2003: the Good Year lettering was wiped-clean from the tooling! 
Oddly (or not), Round2 kits haven't -by and large- suffered the same fate.
Go figure.
Anyway... yeah, licensing went crazy in the decade which everyone views through rose coloured glasses: 1980's.

15 hours ago, Plowboy said:

Shouldn't be too hard as they did a GMC grille (sans the GMC letters) on the snap phantom dually years ago.

Sure they could add it as some sort of custom option, IMHO unless Round-2 can negotiate some form of GM blanked licence agreement, the GMC letters, even when separate, probably wont pass the OEM's final approval.

But first things first, really looking forward to this kit.

I'd like to see Round2 offer the OBS Chevy as an extended cab short bed in the future. That was the most popular truck around here. They already have the cab and interior. I plan on doing a phantom SS 454 using the extended cab, long wheel base chassis and the bed from the SS 454.

• Like 1

Once again, y'all can thank me for the AWB '65 Chevelle. (Previous wins: '64 Nova and '66 Mustang 2+2.)

In 2020-21, I spent a stupid amount of $$$$ acquiring three or four glue bombs of this kit, hoping to "restore" them. After carefully examining my purchases, I decided that with a lot of work, I could probably get ONE together out of the backbirth mess, and with even more labor, MIGHT be able to make TWO. 

Now I'll be able to use all those parts to cobble together one chassis to "restore" the one I built in 1967 to "barn find/survivor" status, and build up a nice new one for a great "Skills Then and Now" display. 

I hope Round 2 restores all the Chevelle's original body emblems and trim (as the original AWB kit had). If they do, it will be possible to un-alter the wheelbase on this kit and come up with a MUCH superior '65 Chevelle body than the Revell kit's. Or, better yet, maybe they'll eventually give us a stock-bodied Craftsman-type kit. Oh joy, oh joy! :D

65ChevelleAWBs03.jpg.8d00af482cb82df127f2e4ee3682fe7c.jpg

65ChevelleAWBs06.jpg.c602b820cbbe25ad75fb27dcef33130c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I was just looking at some "extra" '65 Chevelle stuff, thinking about what I should do with this already-paid-for stuff before the new kit touches down.

Seems like most kids who built these things back in the day had to use half a tube of cement to stick the windows in, applied to the strips that connect the windshield and rear window.  I've got one really nice Chevelle body, the others are messed up to the point that the trim around the back glass is distorted.  

The last couple of winters, I've been piecing together junk and doing repairs that take a lot of work.  Splicing quarter panels into bodies, fixing radiused wheel openings, things like that.

I think I can piece together a stock Malibu body from one El Camino, one AWB Chevelle, and one extra Modified Stocker body (the only one with a good roof!)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, stavanzer said:

Thank You, Snake!

Can you Get one of these next please?

AMT Turned it into A Mod Stocker and ruined the kit.

AMT1965OldsDynamic88boxa

I almost bought one of these a couple toy shows ago. But it was a radio...AND it had a missing right-side A-pillar...AND he wanted $100 for it. I didn't want it THAT bad, it turned out. :wacko:;)

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, stavanzer said:

Thank You, Snake!

AMT1965OldsDynamic88boxa

25 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I almost bought one of these a couple toy shows ago. But it was a radio...AND it had a missing right-side A-pillar...AND he wanted $100 for it. I didn't want it THAT bad, it turned out. :wacko:;)

Don't need one, already have two. 😉

[and still paid less than a hundred bucks for both together]

IMG 2559

IMG 2560

[[this is the lesser of the two ☺️]

Edited by Can-Con
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, lordairgtar said:

Some might not like the fact that the 68 GTO will be a curbside. It is easy enough to open up that hood and graft a Chevelle engine bay to it.

SteveG posted earlier in another thread:

AMT1411 is new tooling, cloned copy of a MPC 1968 GTO promo with some very modest changes  Hood will be a separate part with some front under-hood details. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stavanzer said:

Thank You, Snake!

AMT1965OldsDynamic88boxa

That was the first 1/25th kit I bought back in the day.  I still have the body and hood and sold off the rest in the 1970s since the chrome was shot.  I eventually picked up an unbuilt second issue, then a busted radio version, a built kit, a promo, and a nice radio version.  Maybe Round2 will clone it or a Jetstar 1 (same rear end) or Starfire.  The custom version is really nice.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, GarryR said:

AMT1411 is new tooling, cloned copy of a MPC 1968 GTO promo with some very modest changes  Hood will be a separate part with some front under-hood details. 

I caught that as well. I wonder if they have a version with an engine up their sleeves, like the Nova wagon?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Rodent said:

I caught that as well. I wonder if they have a version with an engine up their sleeves, like the Nova wagon?

I would not be Surprised if that happens down the road a ways. All these kits are chosen because of the long-term sales potential.

19 hours ago, GarryR said:

I’ll take all the cloned promos they could possibly make. As long as they mold/paint them in authentic colors.  If the engine detail purists balk, just make the hoods separate with chassis plates.  They can have their cake and eat it too.  Unfortunately, the big money collector interests might frown on something like this on a wide scale so it probably will never happen.   

21 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I hope Round 2 restores all the Chevelle's original body emblems and trim (as the original AWB kit had). If they do, it will be possible to un-alter the wheelbase on this kit and come up with a MUCH superior '65 Chevelle body than the Revell kit's. Or, better yet, maybe they'll eventually give us a stock-bodied Craftsman-type kit. Oh joy, oh joy! :D

One they have the 3D file they can do anything with it if there's enough demand...and hours in a day to do it all.

I'm excited about the list of new releases. 

Steve, I do have apprehensions about the 68 GTO. The side window openings look a little wonky and those Rally IIs don't look any deeper than current issues. 

I'm disappointed the 65 GTO only has dog dishes, when Tim said hubcaps, I was thinking full hubcaps. Not every muscle car came with "doggies" and "rallies". In fact, very few did! Most had hubcaps - common full hubcaps. What ever happened to wheel covers?

3 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

I'm excited about the list of new releases. 

Steve, I do have apprehensions about the 68 GTO. The side window openings look a little wonky and those Rally IIs don't look any deeper than current issues. 

I'm disappointed the 65 GTO only has dog dishes, when Tim said hubcaps, I was thinking full hubcaps.  

Actually, hubcaps are 'dog dishes'...'dog dish' is just a slang term for hubcaps.  You are thinking of wheelcovers which cover the full wheel. 

Edited by Rob Hall
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1