Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1971 Plymouth Hemi Cuda 1/24 Scale in Metallic Gold.

Dragonhawk1066

Here's my latest, Revell 1971 Plymouth Hemi Cuda. I tried some new things, at least for me. First I melded the front end to the fenders to eliminate the gap/line where they connect that isn't there on the real car, and scribed the true panel line on the front valance. I was very happy with that result. At the same time, I filled in the inner headlights and tried to re-drill them closer to the outside ones as they're molded too far apart. This proved to be a fail as I didn't center the final drill bit close enough and the distance ended up unchanged, and the surround ended up a little gouged albeit not very noticeable. I also made my first attempt at using embossing powder to simulate carpet that I feel turned out pretty good.

The color is a custom mixed variation using Chroma Molten Metals Xanadu Gold, Dorado Gold, and Delta Ceramcoat Black to simulate Citron Gold, and I really like how it turned out. Createx 4050 UVLS Gloss was used for the clear and got the wet-sand, polish, and wax treatment. The trim was done in Bare Metal Foil. The interior was painted using flat black and semi-gloss black craft paint, with the fore-mentioned embossing powder for carpet.

The tires were matte cleared before adding Fireball Modelworks White Letter decals, and painted copper wire was used to simulate valve stems. I added spark plug wires and heater hoses to the engine compartment for extra detail. Despite being a more basic low parts count kit with a few short-comings, it does go together quite well and pretty much looks the part. Thanks for looking!!

1.JPEG

2.JPEG

3.JPEG

4.JPEG

6.JPEG

8.JPEG

10.JPEG

13.JPEG

15.JPEG

17.JPEG

18.JPEG

19.JPEG

21.JPEG

23.JPEG

• Like 18

Wow Craig, that is one terrific looking build and what an unusual color...I likes it!!      The finish with the Createx 4050 looks great. I have a bottle of it, tried a test of it and could'nt seem to get a gloss out of it.  Maybe I should try again.

Anyway, congrats a beautiful Cuda👍👍

23 hours ago, Shark said:

Man you made that look good. I got one a while back and after looking at it, put it on the shelf and it has been there since.

22 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

That is one beautiful looking ‘Cuda Craig. I love that colour you came up with.👍

22 hours ago, KWT said:

Wow... very nicely done!

21 hours ago, happy grumpy said:

That must be the finest build of that kit that I have seen so far. The color is amazing. Thanks for sharing this Greg.

20 hours ago, RAMBENNA said:

very nice, the color combo is excellent fine job.  

20 hours ago, Joe Nunes said:

Very nice model.  That color would have been popular on the 1:1 car had it been available back in the day.  Well done!  👍

Joe

19 hours ago, charger74 said:

It looks great 

17 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

Very nice result. The paint color and finish is excellent.

12 hours ago, 70 Sting said:

Stunning!  Not sure I’ve seen one built better than this.👌

12 hours ago, TooOld said:

Absolutely gorgeous , beautiful work Craig !  Seems this kit has always been so-so at best but you've really made it into a winner !

10 hours ago, Zippi said:

That's a good looking 71 Plymouth Hemi Cuda.  Just a nice looking build and I'm liking the Diorama.

10 hours ago, Tom99 said:

That is an awesome build!!

9 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

Wow, that looks amazing! Beautiful, and very clean detail. Very impressive build, man, I like that!👌

Thanks guys!!

22 hours ago, AMT68 said:

That's a very sharp looking build and your foil work around the wheel openings look perfect. I continue to be impressed with the exterior colors you produce with the mix of acrylics. 

Thanks Tom, I just love mixing colors to try to get close to a factory color. Sometimes when mixing, I look at the stash and one just begs to be painted that color, it's a pretty cool feeling when that happens, lol.

22 hours ago, Classicgas said:

Beautiful. Kudos for taking the time to correct the front fender seam issue, usually ignored.

Thanks Lee. I didn't do it on my first build of this kit, but just had to on this one, lol.

7 hours ago, espo said:

Beautiful looking color and paint finish. Clean looking trim and the wood grain dash and steering wheel look great. Glad you explained your extra efforts on the small details that might otherwise go unseen. 

Thank you David, I usually try to point things out that might not normally catch one's eye as I like to be made aware when viewing others' builds.

7 hours ago, Bainford said:

Good looking Cuda. You did a great job mixing the paint. When I first saw the photos, I hoped the colour was a commonly available, off-the-shelf colour. But alas, custom mix. Anyway, very nice, clean work on the Cuda.

Thanks Trevor! Yes, I do often use my own custom mixed paints, but I think Tamiya makes a spray can color pretty close to this one, I believe it's TS-21 but I could be wrong.

6 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Wow Craig, that is one terrific looking build and what an unusual color...I likes it!!      The finish with the Createx 4050 looks great. I have a bottle of it, tried a test of it and could'nt seem to get a gloss out of it.  Maybe I should try again.

Anyway, congrats a beautiful Cuda👍👍

Thanks Mike! Best I can say is give it 4-5 days to fully cure then lightly wet-sand it starting at about 6000 grit to 12000 grit. More like a damp sand because the water could still soften the clear a bit even after 4-5 days if left pooled too long. Then a Novus #2 polish followed by a coat of wax. A lot of work, but well worth it. They have a new 4053 High Gloss that looks much glossier upon application, but I haven't bought any yet.

14 minutes ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

Thanks guys!!

Thanks Tom, I just love mixing colors to try to get close to a factory color. Sometimes when mixing, I look at the stash and one just begs to be painted that color, it's a pretty cool feeling when that happens, lol.

Thanks Lee. I didn't do it on my first build of this kit, but just had to on this one, lol.

Thank you David, I usually try to point things out that might not normally catch one's eye as I like to be made aware when viewing others' builds.

Thanks Trevor! Yes, I do often use my own custom mixed paints, but I think Tamiya makes a spray can color pretty close to this one, I believe it's TS-21 but I could be wrong.

Thanks Mike! Best I can say is give it 4-5 days to fully cure then lightly wet-sand it starting at about 6000 grit to 12000 grit. More like a damp sand because the water could still soften the clear a bit even after 4-5 days if left pooled too long. Then a Novus #2 polish followed by a coat of wax. A lot of work, but well worth it. They have a new 4053 High Gloss that looks much glossier upon application, but I haven't bought any yet.

Thanks Craig.  I actually think I have a bottle of the 4053 also. Never tried it tho.

• Like 1