Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jaguar E-type at 1962 24 Hours of Le Mans

The E-type was called the accidental racer because Jaguar's intent was to produce a great sports car with no plans to go racing. However when a GT for production cars class was created it was too good to resist. A lot has been said about the aluminum bodied Lightweight E-type introduced in 63 but the first effort came in 62 from successfully fielding steel bodied roadsters in a few races on British soil. Privateers then fielded 3 coupes at the 1962 Le Mans 24 hours with help from Jaguar courtesy of lightened bodies using aluminum bonnet, doors and hatch.

I started with the newly tooled 1/24 scale Revell kit, modified to reflect the race car fielded by Maurice Charles and John Coundley (DNF lap 43)

Mods include wheels from a Revell MB 300 SLR, fabricated or modified wet sump system, Webber carbs, spare tire with retaining straps, Race fuel cell and filler through hatch, Le Mans spec "mud flaps" front grille, bug deflector, roll bar etc.

Paint is Vallejo primer, Vallejo color mixed to replicate dark opalescent blue, Tamiya acrylic clear. All paint finishes have been brush painted. Primer and clear layers polished. Decals from a variety of sources.

Ā 

Lemans Jag1.jpg

Lemans Jag2.jpg

Lemans Jag3.jpg

Lemans Jag4.jpg

Lemans Jag5.jpg

Lemans Jag6.jpg

Lemans Jag7.jpg

Lemans Jag8.jpg

Lemans Jag9.jpg

Lemans Jag10.jpg

Lemans Jag11.jpg

Lemans Jag12.jpg

Lemans Jag13.jpg

Lemans Jag14.jpg

Lemans Jag15.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Wow, Pierre. you have done it again. The paint is deep and beautiful and the attention to detail is again through the roof. Such enjoyment it is to view this model. The design team at Jaguar were way ahead of their time coming up with this beautiful car and you certainly did it justice with your stunning build of it.Ā 

Thanks a lot guys. I had this kit since it came out, looking for a race car I could morph it into until I came up on this story about the early E-Type racing and there was my subject.

I highly recommend the new Revell kit and the changes to turn it into a racer are pretty easy. It's a good kit and everything fits together well. The only weakness is the chrome tree done the old Revell/AMT way, heavy underlay + heavy chrome plating resulting in undefined part shape. I wish they could do it more like Tamiya chrome. No complaints other than that.

Now I want to do a Cuningham lightweight...if I could find a roof to marry with a roadster body.

Again thank you all for the very nice feedback

14 hours ago, Pierre Rivard said:

Thanks a lot guys. I had this kit since it came out, looking for a race car I could morph it into until I came up on this story about the early E-Type racing and there was my subject.

I highly recommend the new Revell kit and the changes to turn it into a racer are pretty easy. It's a good kit and everything fits together well. The only weakness is the chrome tree done the old Revell/AMT way, heavy underlay + heavy chrome plating resulting in undefined part shape. I wish they could do it more like Tamiya chrome. No complaints other than that.

Now I want to do a Cuningham lightweight...if I could find a roof to marry with a roadster body.

Again thank you all for the very nice feedback

You have a PM.