Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

What is your oldest unfinished W.I.P

Just to clarify, it has to be a model that YOU yourself started, and STILL have in your possession, but somehow never gets back on the bench. 

Mine is a Tamiya 1/20 WR-1 Ford Formula one car. Purchased new by me (with help from, and I mean entirely by my parents) in 1979 when I was 12 years old. I had no clue at the time that F-1 and Indy cars were different. Since they looked the same, they had to be the same. I do remember my mom being a little irritated at how expensive the kit was, and I quickly found that it was way beyond my skills at the time. I still cannot explain why I kept it all those years, and even now as an adult,  AND after building a few Tamiya F1 cars, it still has not been finished. About 13 years ago, after replacing the lost wheel and tire,(I vaguely remember putting them on an MPC 1972 GTO sometime in the early 80's), and collecting other parts that were too far gone from excessive use of tube glue, I  started working on it again, with all intent to finish it...that lasted for about six months. It now resides in a prominent place where I see it regularly, constantly showing its disappointment.....aaaaand still waiting.

I just literally dusted off the box to take this picture. 

And Snake, I know what your thinking...yes, it's a perfect candidate. 

20230302_101121.jpg

• Haha 1

MPC/ ERTL et alia 1969 Barracuda 383, c.2004 issue. 
I bought it in 2003, started it, then got distracted by:

Revell Dick Landy's 1968 SS/EA Dart GTS 440
Built and painted its engine, then started sanding-off the GTS emblems... 
Then my mum fell ill, and I quit building all together from 2005 to 2010.

Edited by 1972coronet

2 hours ago, Sam I Am said:

And Snake, I know what your thinking...yes, it's a perfect candidate. 

;):lol:

Not sure what my oldest unfinished NOW might be, but a couple years ago, for the BOYD project, I finished an IMC VW Beetle I started around 1969 or 1970. I think I have several others of similar vintage around here somewhere. 

• Like 1

Probably a '63 Mercury NASCAR that I started collecting parts for in 1987.  I found a built '63 at the MCCA convention in Dayton that year.  Stripped off about four paint jobs (some sort of cheap household gray enamel on top, then black, then two shades of blue) to find a pretty decent body under all of that.  Some of the scripts were lightly sanded, but those are coming off anyway.  I think they are already gone.

The original plan was to pretty much follow a Don Emmons article from '63 or '64 where he built a replica of Parnelli Jones' car.  The first round of added detail parts included AMT '57 Ford suspension and the basic engine from a Revell Mysterion.  I had designed and made a vacuform floor and firewall that fit the kit chassis once it was trimmed down to just the frame.  Over the years I have sold a few hundred of those.

Every couple of years, though, better parts turned up.  First the AMT '66 Fairlane engine, later the '60 Starliner engine and entire chassis.  Later I found a decal sheet for the Parnelli Jones car which solves the problem of the 1:1 car's markings.

I think that when I do get more into this one, I'll probably go back to the earliest selection of chassis and engine parts.  Other than the decals, it might just end up as I had planned on doing it originally.

• Like 2

Snake's BOYD thread cleared me out of pretty much all my longstanding WIPs, which dated back to the early '90s.

I think the only one I have now is a Monogram "White Lightning" Pro/Street Firebird,which I started in the late '80s and got the chassis, cage, engine etc all done, then realised the body was warped. My attempt at gently heating it didn't help, and it's remained that way ever since. One day I'll work out which body nicely drops onto the chassis and it will eventually hit the display cabinet.

• Like 1

I wouldn't even know where to start on that one.

I have half finished models stuffed in boxes all over the place that were probably started before some of the members of this forum were even born!

So old in fact, that I have no idea how long ago, or which ones were started first.

Steve

In 1989 I started a Roush IMSA Cougar race car. In 1/12 scale I had zero parts I could use as made. I bit off more than I should have.......been in a box since 1990 after I failed making a body for it..........doubt my skills will every catch up to the level needed.......

COUGAR.jpg

COUGARHEADS.jpg

Pro Street Monogram 1971 Barracuda. From  around 1990. It was inspired by a Steve Stanford sketch. That sketch only appeared on a Car Craft subscription card from 1986 or so. It was stolen after that. Like others in this thread, I was a bit too ambitious. The chassis was from the Matt and Debbie Hay pro street Thunderbird, stretched a little. I made filler strips to make the tubs conform to the body. Rear wheel openings were enlarged. I should dig it out and give it another go. 

AMT "Diamond in the Rough"kit.

Purchased new  in 1980. I still have the '53 Ford Truck. Wish I knew where the car and trailer went.

Sits in a box, half built. Body is brush painted. I should just get it together.

Second oldest build is an M113 With a Turret, started for a Twilight 2000 game in Okinawa Japan in 1986.. Since it is now 23 years past 2000, I suppose I should dig it out too.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, stavanzer said:

AMT "Diamond in the Rough"kit.

Purchased new  in 1980. I still have the '53 Ford Truck. Wish I knew where the car and trailer went.

Sits in a box, half built. Body is brush painted. I should just get it together.

Second oldest build is an M113 With a Turret, started for a Twilight 2000 game in Okinawa Japan in 1986.. Since it is now 23 years past 2000, I suppose I should dig it out too.

Um, hate to break it to you Alan but the "Diamond in the Rough" set didn't come out until late '86 or '87.

Maybe it was just the pickup kit you bought then?

9 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

Um, hate to break it to you Alan but the "Diamond in the Rough" set didn't come out until late '86 or '87.

Maybe it was just the pickup kit you bought then?

Really? The it must have been the  "Grant King Sprint Car" set. I do remember it being a huge box, I had to sneak into the house after dark. i was 16.

6 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

This one. Actually started it in about 1995. It's gone through several iterations, still not done.

DSCN2761.jpg

I Really like this, Bill......... Mind sharing where the wheel/tire combo is from?

If a wip sits too long in it's box and I doubt I'll ever finish it, it gets broken down as parts or trade fodder......... So I don't have any long languishing projects.

I did start on a Revell '69 Corvette coupe around 2001, 2002 or 03 there abouts. I got as far as painting the body yellow with a brush and it looked awful, so I put it back in the box and forgot about it. Life and two house moves since I have no idea what happened to it. It might be amongst the junk I have in the attic but I doubt it.

Edited by doorsovdoon

40 minutes ago, stavanzer said:

Really? The it must have been the  "Grant King Sprint Car" set. I do remember it being a huge box, I had to sneak into the house after dark. i was 16.

Could be. I had that one too. Still have the truck and trailer but the car's long gone. 

38 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Pretty sure they're Monogram '53 or '57 Corvette.

'53.  I've always liked those Monogram tires.  Just wish they were a tad wider, two of them as rear tires would make a nice "big and little" combo with the smaller Monogram tires, or even old AMT Trophy Series tires.

5 hours ago, Snake45 said:

;):lol:

Not sure what my oldest unfinished NOW might be, but a couple years ago, for the BOYD project, I finished an IMC VW Beetle I started around 1969 or 1970. I think I have several others of similar vintage around here somewhere. 

Ooh, just remembered, for an even later BOYD build, I finished an original-issue AMT '69 Ford Galaxie I started in 1969. And just remembered two others: original first-issue annual MPC '69 Firebird started in 1969, and original annual issue MPC '68 Corvette. The Firebird will probably never be finished (now that I know how bad that kit really is); there is SOME hope for the Corvette. :unsure:

Hmmm...I have an Italeri Ferrari F40 that I started in the mid-90s. I haven't touched it since.

Second longest is an AMT Ford truck. The awful Super Stones kit. It's like 90% done, but I've just had zero motivation to wrap that turd up. 

I should really get both cleared up.

Started in Sept 1984 according to a note I put on the instruction sheet for this Athearn 1/87 scale White Freightliner that I was converting to be a Powerliner. That was back in the days when I was exclusively building model trucks. Made the bumper out of the same clear sheet material as the windshields, so I had to color it with a red marker to see where make the cutouts better. Since I couldn't do good enough justice to the cobbling together of the grille out of 4 kits, that's where it stopped. I am a graphic artist and know how to draw artwork for photoetch metal from one of my prior jobs, one of these days I could re-start this one and make it into a real nice little jewel, where the multi color stripes I'd planned for it could be a decal I could also draw up and commission someone to print it.

Powerliner.jpg.80528d6d5036845ce39fd0c4d9ab9de9.jpg