Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

New scammer popping up in private messages today. Be aware of yuhrte654

AZPartsLocators

Newest message in my inbox. Joined the website 24 minutes before sending me a message. These guys are popping up everywhere. Great English and all. Be leary of anyone offering you items that just registered. The fact that is was supposably a for sale post I missed was a major red flag since no one is allowed to sell on here. 

yuhrte654

Started conversation: 3 minutes ago

You must have missed the post of louis09 about 1 headlight for Amt motor city Monte Carlo for sale some days ago... I asked him about it and he said it's still available with him. Here's his Email
mikescott6678@gmail.com

Yep, I got the message too. About the glass piece I'm looking for my VW Bus.  "You must have missed the post of louis09 about glass piece. Revell VW T1 Bus for sale some days ago... I asked him about it and he said it's still available with him. Here's his Email
mikescott6678@gmail.com"

1 hour ago, AZPartsLocators said:

Newest message in my inbox. Joined the website 24 minutes before sending me a message. These guys are popping up everywhere. Great English and all. Be leary of anyone offering you items that just registered. The fact that is was supposably a for sale post I missed was a major red flag since no one is allowed to sell on here. 

yuhrte654

Started conversation: 3 minutes ago

You must have missed the post of louis09 about 1 headlight for Amt motor city Monte Carlo for sale some days ago... I asked him about it and he said it's still available with him. Here's his Email
mikescott6678@gmail.com

I got a message from yukilop90 as a local seller, it's my old friend and very honest person, message me about  AMT Autocar parts for sale... Thought I'm still interested and I've get one few days ago, kindly check on him maybe it's still available... Here's his Email mikescott6678@gmail.com.

Yup me too. Beware. 

Got a message, too:  The grammar is pretty bad:

I got a message from yukilop90 as a local seller, it's my old friend and very honest person, message me about L/F Peterbilt 359 Daycab Panel for sale... Thought I'm still interested and I've get one few days ago, kindly check on him maybe it's still available... Here's his Email mikescott6678@gmail.com.

What a jerk!

You guys do realize that it isn't an actual person/people sending all these out right? It is a Bot that constantly is scouring the internet for keywords (wanted, WTB, need, buy, etc) and just uses an automatic response inserting your item name.  Signing them up for spam, responding at all even to say "stop", or any other action you take is wasting your time since no person will ever see the response. The only time a real person is even involved is if you reply to the email address they attach. Then somebody in Russia, India, China, or wherever the bot is from may respond. Even then there is a good chance you are still talking to a computer not a human!

Some good indicators that it is just a Bot are:

Names that are random letters and numbers (like the example on this thread) - These bots generate thousands of user profiles across the internet every minute so they just use a random name generator.

Names that sort of make sense but are weirdly long such as Johnlittleton3246 - Again they need to come up with a pile of names not already used so go overboard.

Bad English - This can be tricky because not everybody has the best English even if spoken all their life.

When the response states the name of what you wanted in the exact same manner you made the request. Again the example in the screen capture above illustrates this perfectly. Why would a person respond "I have the 8 Clint Freeman rear semi tires" and Not "I have these"?

The responder directs you to somebody else at another location. Sure maybe they could direct you to a website that sells your item but another individual.

• Like 2

I've gotten to the point, that I never respond to any message from somebody that has not posted at least a few times, over a few days. Post Twice in three day and then don't post again? Human or Bot, I'm not engaging with you.

Also, it is not often that somebody joins a board to offer to sell/trade you exactly what you want.

Trader beware.

Edited by stavanzer

On 4/12/2023 at 5:19 AM, Tcoat said:

You guys do realize that it isn't an actual person/people sending all these out right? It is a Bot that constantly is scouring the internet for keywords (wanted, WTB, need, buy, etc) and just uses an automatic response inserting your item name.  Signing them up for spam, responding at all even to say "stop", or any other action you take is wasting your time since no person will ever see the response. The only time a real person is even involved is if you reply to the email address they attach. Then somebody in Russia, India, China, or wherever the bot is from may respond. Even then there is a good chance you are still talking to a computer not a human!

Some good indicators that it is just a Bot are:

Names that are random letters and numbers (like the example on this thread) - These bots generate thousands of user profiles across the internet every minute so they just use a random name generator.

Names that sort of make sense but are weirdly long such as Johnlittleton3246 - Again they need to come up with a pile of names not already used so go overboard.

Bad English - This can be tricky because not everybody has the best English even if spoken all their life.

When the response states the name of what you wanted in the exact same manner you made the request. Again the example in the screen capture above illustrates this perfectly. Why would a person respond "I have the 8 Clint Freeman rear semi tires" and Not "I have these"?

The responder directs you to somebody else at another location. Sure maybe they could direct you to a website that sells your item but another individual.

Best summary of what's going on. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Best summary of what's going on. 

I am a very active member of a 1/1 car forum where admin has pretty much abandoned it so none of the security ever get's updated. As a result the place is getting overrun with these bots. There can be 50 or more sign up every day. Just yesterday there were 19 WilberRandomLettersandNumbers that all signed up within 3 minutes. Immediately upon signup they started pumping out the private messages. At one point it showed 66 members online and at least half of them were obvious bot names. Needless to say trying to buy or sell anything there is now a lost cause. I I can hope for is that there are so many of them that they have reached the point where it is now just scammers trying to scam other scammers. I bet there are some fun private conversations between them. 

• Sad 1