Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Kit From Round 2 - AMT 1963 Ford F100 Styleside (Unibody) with Camper Top

tim boyd

1 hour ago, Dave Van said:

It looks like, with mods, I can make a 'Charlie the lonesome cougar' Ford P/U!! Talk obscure!! 

CHARLIECOUGAR.png

Great vintage photo, IMO, you would be much better off with the '65-'66 Moebius cab to build a '63 "two piece" once the '60 F 100 hits the shelves.

IMG_0271.thumb.JPG.b2b0a75f7afbb7b594b69f1b3aca71e7.jpg

Edited by leafsprings

21 hours ago, leafsprings said:

Great vintage photo, IMO, you would be much better off with the '65-'66 Moebius cab to build a '63 "two piece" once the '60 F 100 hits the shelves.

IMG_0271.thumb.JPG.b2b0a75f7afbb7b594b69f1b3aca71e7.jpg

Notice how the door is different between the uni-cab and the separate cab and box versions. The uni-cab door has a straight body crease while the separate cab door has a jog in the body crease. The 64-66 Fords all used the door with a jog in the body crease.

12 minutes ago, Carmak said:

The uni-cab door has a straight body crease while the separate cab door has a jog in the body crease. 

Right, trying to transform a '61-'63 uni-body's into anything  besides a  '61-'63 uni-body ( flatbed, flareside, 4x4 etc.) has always been a pain in the ............... IMO, the concept of these trucks must have been somebody's dream of a heavy duty Ranchero.

• 3 months later...

Just got a quick glimpse at the actual kit earlier today. 

As with Round 2's other recent "clones", my initial impression is that it appears to be a clear improvement over the original annual kit in a number of ways. 

Like I suspect many of the rest of you, I can't wait to buy the actual kit and get busy with it.  Hopefully it should only be a few weeks away now!  TB 

• Like 1

As the KAT's try to maximize the return on investment, would it be too far-fetched to think they would look into tooling up a new cab, to use it with the previous generation refrigerator-style bed?

image.png.efab5e1f90d214a1de4909d70f88b235.png

Are the chassis between both gen trucks similar? 

Cheers

Photo from Dave Van's post

Edited by Luc Janssens

22 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

As the KAT's try to maximize the return on investment, would it be too far-fetched to think they would look into tooling up a new cab, to use it with the previous generation refrigerator-style bed?

image.png.efab5e1f90d214a1de4909d70f88b235.png

Are the chassis between both gen trucks similar? 

Cheers

Photo from Dave Van's post

I think the chassis is the same, I know it changed from 64 to 65. Not 100% though. 

On 9/1/2023 at 5:58 AM, SteveG said:

The box art for all three will most likely debut at the New York Toy Fair on Sept 30th. 

-Steve

Haven't seen the '63 box art yet, would be nice to get a front view in stock form this time, but doubt it.

s-l1600 - 2024-01-20T130200.046.jpg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, leafsprings said:

Haven't seen the '63 box art yet, would be nice to get a front view in stock form this time, but doubt it.

s-l1600 - 2024-01-20T130200.046.jpg

Nope, posting into a different thread doesn't change what I said in my original reply to you. This is the box art for the '63 in all it's glorious 3/4 profile...

11019607b2.jpg.87f0990460542179b7d86e35299dea74.jpg

It's one of their "silent" style with no printing on the art work, here the finalized box with the little AMT Kool Kats sticker. 

Screenshot_20240121_113606_SamsungInternet.jpg.3f9a0bdc326565c0e1aefd8c949729c3.jpg

Edited by niteowl7710

1 hour ago, niteowl7710 said:

Nope, posting into a different thread doesn't change what I said in my original reply to you. This is the box art for the '63 in all it's glorious 3/4 profile...

11019607b2.jpg.87f0990460542179b7d86e35299dea74.jpg

It's one of their "silent" style with no printing on the art work, here the finalized box with the little AMT Kool Kats sticker. 

Screenshot_20240121_113606_SamsungInternet.jpg.3f9a0bdc326565c0e1aefd8c949729c3.jpg

Like the original box, there's also a 3/4 front view of the relatively stock Service truck on the features side panel.  

-Steve

• Like 2

On 1/21/2024 at 8:34 AM, niteowl7710 said:

I can still make out what it's supposed to be, as with most AMT kits, I suppose we will get new box art on the next re issue in a couple of years that will do the subject vehicle more artistic justice.

Of the three box arts of the original kit (1963 Annual Kit...1964 reissue of the 1963 annual kit....1968 reissue with Camper Top), i actually prefer the Camper version best.  The new kit has a much clearer/vibrant treatment vs. the original 1968 Camper "portrait" box art treatment.  Personal Preference/To each his own, I guess.   TB 

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, leafsprings said:

I can still make out what it's supposed to be, as with most AMT kits, I suppose we will get new box art on the next re issue in a couple of years that will do the subject vehicle more artistic justice.

With Coke decals probably.  🙃   Not knocking, just a joke - they have to make profit where they can.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Of the three box arts of the original kit (1963 Annual Kit...1964 reissue of the 1963 annual kit....1968 reissue with Camper Top), i actually prefer the Camper version best.  The new kit has a much clearer/vibrant treatment vs. the original 1968 Camper "portrait" box art treatment.  Personal Preference/To each his own, I guess.   TB 

It's not a box art, calculated to sell the kit to folks who have no idea what it is. It will sell scads to the older/ in-the-know types who recognize it.

Wait to see what the Facebook types who have no clue what it is, though.

That said, while the box art is well done, it is not what I would have picked. It is easy to go overboard with nostalgia, and this appears to me to be such a case.

But, I'm not in charge, and presumably Steve G, and the Kat's have better information than I do which is why they went with this option.

Edited by stavanzer

11 hours ago, tim boyd said:

For those willing to do a quick google search, there is now a full kit buildup/review posted elsewhere on the interweb...TB 

Whomever this mystery reviewer is, they performed a sweet build-up of that kit. I can't wait for the 'peon' copies to arrive, hein ? I've already ordered a couple of them.

• Haha 1