Model Cars Magazine Forum

How do you keep your models clean?

My models are dust magnets and I don't really want to spend money on clear cases for each and every one. I have several large scale kits as well as many smaller. It would cost a small fortune to cover everything. I do have some soft bristle fan brushes and such that I use occasionally, but that can be tedious. Any thoughts?

I have 2 barristers' bookcases that have glassed in fronts that lift up.  Models can be seen but the dust is kept out.  When I ran out of space on the 4 shelves, I added some intermediate ones using pre-finished shelving.  Some have been there for over 20 years and are nearly as clean as when they were put there.

Short of that a very fine brush can be used to remove dust from time to time along with a little mild soap and lukewarm water.  (That's if your decals are sealed).

I keep my finished pieces in the room where I build. I don’t really display them so they stay covered with a paper towel. I only average a completed build per year so not many. Most are stored in the box the kit came in. Other then keeping them in a cabinet the dust will find them.

• Like 1

Lately the clear cases have been on sale at Hobby Lobby. I was able to scoop a bunch up at cheaper prices. If you're on Facebook, their marketplace is a great source for finding display cases of all sizes for good prices. If you're not on facebook, you can usually find these times of cases on most of the big online marketplaces/apps. I found this one last year. I liked it because I was able to put it on top of my desk since I don't have room for a larger standing display. Listed for $45, got it for $40. It'll fit 12 models. Definitely big savings over the individual cases.

322590173_1519049125188188_6800212320300330875_n.jpg.76f0b3b9d9fcdd60030157140f356f8a.jpg

Tamiya makes a great brush for dusting. Works really good with thin hairs that won’t damage even the smallest detail on a model. It’s pricey if you get it in the states, but it’s worth the money though and has large end and small end. I got 2 of them for $10 each from plaza Japan when I did my last big order. 

IMG_1263.jpeg.fbc943f15c3644285b50665afae7784a.jpegIMG_1262.jpeg.65bcb7b28ddd72f7320bd39419a292f2.jpeg

Edited by Dpate

Geez Louise. You can get fluffy-ended makeup brushes (assuming you're secure enough in your masculinity...if that's even a thing anymore...to walk into a beauty-supply store) for not a lot of bucks. They're perfect for cleaning models. I got a whole set of 'em in different sizes for less than $10. In a nice steel box.

And the ones you don't use for cleaning are great for applying weathering chalks.

EcoTools Start The Day Beautifully Kit Makeup Brush Set - Walmart.com ...

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
CLARITY
  • Like 2

Soon as I finish them, they get a little glass house. (Acrylic). I stare at them, and they stare back at me. Only time they come back out is if I can't stand something I've done and absolutely have to do something about it. I've only got about 20 builds so far. I will soon need a bigger bookcase or shelving.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Geez Louise. You can get fluffy-ended makeup brushes (assuming you're secure enough in your masculinity to walk into a beauty-supply store) for not a lot of bucks. They're perfect for cleaning models. I got a whole set of 'em in different sizes for less than $10. In a nice steel box.

And the ones you don't use for cleaning are great for applying weathering chalks.

I got a couple of these from my wife. Whenever I want to dust off my models, I gently brush them down at my paint booth set on high. That way the dust blows away from the model. While I do have a display case, it is also my builds-in-progress case. I keep forgetting to close the doors when sanding parts at the bench.

Display case Feb 2023.JPG

• Like 1

I bought a cosmetic brush that is really soft, and perfect for gently dusting off model cars, from either the Wilko store or the Boots store in UK, very cheap.

Brushing around the roof aerials and also the windscreen wipers is always a tense moment !

A few of my model cars are displayed in a glass case that holds three cars, but most are displayed within a diorama environment, which attracts dust at a ridiculous rate. Sometimes I see these model cars as ' old ' and 'dusty ', which is probably how they should be, rather than pristine showroom condition.

My cottage is quite small so I don't have the space for large display cabinets.

David

• Like 1

58B1A596-093E-4BDE-945A-F72A6083B258.jpeg.a3d5b377f368d32b28ec2589ad875855.jpeg

The official NNL East Model Car Duster!  And below it is our scale ruler we designed and had printed.

F24E8D42-46C9-4C7D-87D2-A3A9B65D7D57.thumb.jpeg.fd29b2afc7c4dbf55d0d7e803957b326.jpeg

My main display case. A huge 8 foot tall China cabinet, I’m fortunate to have high ceilings!

I got the cabinet for less than $200 delivered. When I ran out of space I added glass shelves between each of the original shelves.

40717266-8108-4BA3-915B-5B660D91B714.thumb.jpeg.994bb2053515347cec1d0d8622abc75e.jpeg

8DF3EA22-3AB4-4D5C-8FAA-AEC9ACEE47FC.thumb.jpeg.2e984456217e87552d1c28d67b8b5d03.jpeg

These are the glass shelves I added. Had them cut at a local glass shop. I installed them.   The cabinet had a mirror back I didn’t like so the wood you see is just heavy paper. I got the roll of it at Michael’s.

Edited by Tom Geiger

Thank you all for some great insights. I don't really have room for a giant display case, Tom, but man that's nice! (My models have to vie for room with my vintage fishing gear collection and various other "things").

One thing I have considered is finding some plastic wrap, the non-clingy type and draping a small sheet of it over each model. The main disadvantage is that the models are not then "on display" but that might be OK since I'm the only one who cares to look.

With 3 cats and 2 small dogs this is a never ending battle, finished and works in progress. Years ago I acquired several clear styrene shoe boxes and I also pick up clear plastic display cases whenever I see any at a model show flea market. I have one of Betsy's make up brushes and also a natural bristle painter's brush for dusting. Right now the model room needs a deep cleaning but it interferes with building.......................

I had been buying cases of acrylic display cases from "Pioneer Plastics" pretty reasonably for a few years.

I think I was getting them for somewhere around $6.00 or $7.00 apiece?

Since I moved my models to stand alone cabinets, I have empty acrylic cases everywhere!!

Not that it's a bad thing.

I use them mostly now for transport purposes to shows and such, and when the day comes to thin out the built kit herd, each one can be sent off in it's own case. :)

spacer.png

spacer.png

Steve

Unfortunately when a model is displayed on open air, dust will accumulate on it. Yes, you can brush it off using soft brush or compressed air, but after a while some of the dust will stick to the model's surface anyway. Brushing or blowing will not remove it. The only way to clean it off is wet cleaning (and that is not the best thing to do to a model).

The only good option is to keep your models in some kind of sealed display case.

A few years ago, I bought a box of 100 clear food containers, the kind you find in your bakery or take-out place.

I bought the box of them for $80, shipping included.

The containers are great for smaller builds like a '32 Ford, or a Datsun truck, even a Volare fits in with some extra room.

I also use them for the pile of rebuilders that I've picked up over the years, as well as the sorted-out tires, slicks, wide whites, red lines, etc that used to be in bags in a cabinet. I can see at a glance what is inside each one.

I've got three glass curio cabinets, but they're not completely sealed, and I hate dusting, so between the actual display boxes and the food containers, I don't have to.

All my cabinets are in the basement and I'm really the only one who sees them regularly.

On 6/3/2023 at 9:05 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Geez Louise. You can get fluffy-ended makeup brushes (assuming you're secure enough in your masculinity to walk into a beauty-supply store) for not a lot of bucks. They're perfect for cleaning models. I got a whole set of 'em in different sizes for less than $10. In a nice steel box.

Buy them?  My wife has had issues with some of her make up brushes and sponges mysteriously disappearing. Very strange.....

• Haha 2

Applying a coat of Tamiya wax to a model will make it easy to brush away dust, and prevent the accumulation of fingerprints. It provides a beautiful luster to paint, and does great things to the glass-work as well. Beware, the model will become very slippery.

The best brushes I have found for cleaning models is microfiber makeup brushes. They come in a huge variety of styles and sizes.