Model Cars Magazine Forum

SALZ WAGEN: A heavily scratchbuilt Allison powered V12 Volks van for the salt flats

Hi!

I build one salt car per year, and here's the sixth member of my Flat Earth Society: SALZ WAGEN.Ā 

I had a leftover Allison V12, a Hasegawa VW van body, Mpc's 72 Chevy PU custom rollingstock, so, here we go: scratchbuilt chassis, suspensions, wheel houses, roll cage, electric system, etc. The body was sectionned and tilted in the front, with various streamlining mods.Ā 

I'd like to thank fellow modeler MUNCIE, well know on this forum. Seeing my enthusiasm for the salt, he bought and sent me the SCTA current rule book for the salt. I therefore like to think that this contraption would pass inspection.

Thanks Muncie! Gratefull that you allowed me to improve my knowledge of salt cars! Now, on to next year's car... What will it be?Ā 

Long live the salt!Ā 

CTĀ 

DSC01869 (2).JPG

DSC01870 (2).JPG

DSC01873 (2).JPG

DSC01874 (2).JPG

DSC01880 (2).JPG

DSC01860 (2).JPG

DSC01861 (2).JPG

DSC01862 (2).JPG

DSC01890 (2).JPG

DSC01885 (2).JPG

DSC01888 (2).JPG

DSC01892 (2).JPG

DSC01893 (2).JPG

DSC01854 (2).JPG

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

Hi Claude, There is a lot of creativity and excellent craftsmanship on the salt - you've taken it to another level.Ā  I like it ... a lot!

Thanks my friend for the shout out and the gentle shove.Ā  I guess I need to put some of that knowledge to use and finish something, I have an AMT Studebaker and I know how to use it.

21 hours ago, Rich Chernosky said:

Well thought out and well executed. Some outstanding craftsmanship and creativity.Ā  Ā Now...who are you going to get to drive it 200mph. ??

Thank you Rich!Ā 

I was thinking George Poteet, of Speed Demon's fame.

With the speeds at which he is used to drive, it would be a walk in the park for Mr. Poteet to cruise that brick to 200 MPH. One cam always dream, eh?

CT

On 6/28/2023 at 11:09 PM, bondo bill said:

pretty much box stock eh, all kidding aside that is too cool-how many hours and what kits were involved

Hi Bill!

I'd say about 100 hours.

The Allison engine comes from AMT's Allison in Wonderland 68 TBird kit, and the rolling stock from MPC's 72 C10 pick-up kit. The body shell from Hasegawa's VW van. All the rest is scratchbuilt.

Hours of fun with styrene...

CT