Model Cars Magazine Forum

Amazon Kit Deals

Like a lot of people here, I use Amazon a lot for all kinds of shopping…kits included!  

Now and then I’ll see a killer deal, and I thought it would be good to have a rolling thread to share any great kit deals we collectively spot…

Disclaimer: I have Amazon Prime, so I don’t pay shipping on MOST orders.  If you don’t have Prime, you may pay slightly more than the price I note…

First up… AMT 64 Cutlass, $9 plus $5 shipping (even if you have Prime):

AMT 1964 Olds Cutlass F-85 Convertible1/25th Scale Model Kit https://a.co/d/3UqOS8z

IMG_0773.jpeg.06ae005a1e6298a3e90305686258f3a2.jpeg

Next up, Revell 30 Coupes for $18, also plus $5 shipping (note: scroll down, pick “Other Sellers on Amazon” and then you can order multiples from the seller Overstock Hobbies and only pay $5 shipping for as many as you buy - i just ordered four and only paid for shipping once)

Revell 85-4464 1:25 1930 Ford Model A Coupe 2N1 Model Kit https://a.co/d/3JTEetc

IMG_0774.jpeg.0e5c7ee0b097b8e20cc889dd8e11b1dd.jpeg

And Tamiya Porsche 959s, under $20 delivered:

Tamiya 1/24 Porsche 959 TAM24065 Plastics Car/Truck 1/24-1/25 https://a.co/d/9vII6AC

IMG_0775.jpeg.3cde45bec8deb877a8634cb9235c6c82.jpeg

I have no commercial interest in any of these sellers - just wanted to share good deals as I spot them!  Please feel free to link to you own bargains if you find any!

• Like 1

Those are good deals, the problem with Amazon, in my experience is, there is a very high chance they will be shipped in a mailer bag and will look like someone jumped up and down on the box when you get them! 😉

A month or two ago overstock.com had a similar deal on amazon for the new Revell VW Beetle. I found out about it here on this forum.  I bought 4 of them, and they were shipped in a cardboard box. It was actually cut down box Revell ships these kits in,  so 4 of the kits fit perfectly in the box's footprint. No shipping damage.

Overstock Hobbies is a dealer outside of amazon, and the kits come directly from them (not from amazon's warehouse).

Edited by peteski

2 hours ago, larman said:

Those are good deals, the problem with Amazon, in my experience is, there is a very high chance they will be shipped in a mailer bag and will look like someone jumped up and down on the box when you get them! 😉

Yep, I had one arrive like that…box a little damaged but the contests made it ok:

IMG_0762.jpeg.cf2f363e31052b538ee226ea9e770388.jpeg

50 minutes ago, peteski said:

A month or two ago overstock.com had a similar deal on amazon for the new Revell VW Beetle. I found out about it here on this forum.  I bought 4 of them, and they were shipped in a cardboard box. It was actually cut down box Revell ships these kits in,  so 4 of the kits fit perfectly in the box's footprint. No shipping damage.

Overstock is a dealer outside of amazon, and the kits come directly from them (not from amazon's warehouse).

Yep - had that same experience too!

IMG_8498.thumb.jpeg.e14f429e5962f4750349187d073529c1.jpegIMG_8499.thumb.jpeg.87ac6816e81b3d41a400ef024f0bbf6c.jpeg

• Like 1

The Revell Ford is now $25............Amazon makes no secret that it changes prices over one million times a day. If I go buy that 29 Ford the price will spike again for the next guy. 

In2016 when I bought my F-150 I wanted bars for the front. Amazon had just started carrying a name brand. I got what I wanted for about 35% of retail.....but as soon as I bought it it went up.....and now is listed for 5 times what I paid. 

Amazon SOP

16 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

The Revell Ford is now $25............Amazon makes no secret that it changes prices over one million times a day. If I go buy that 29 Ford the price will spike again for the next guy. 

In2016 when I bought my F-150 I wanted bars for the front. Amazon had just started carrying a name brand. I got what I wanted for about 35% of retail.....but as soon as I bought it it went up.....and now is listed for 5 times what I paid. 

Amazon SOP

First come first serve.  No different than guys at a swap meet changing prices when the sales are fast or slow.  I like this idea of posting cheaper deals. 

2 hours ago, larman said:

Agreed!

I received a kit that looked like it had been sat on for the entire trip to get to me. 

But...

I sent them pics of the crushed box, exactly how I received it. They refunded me in full, and I ordered another one. 

It arrived in a mailer bag, and in perfect condition.

And the best part is when I opened the crushed kit, the contents were actually perfect. Zero damage at all. 

So yay for me.

The Canadian Amazon site doesn't have a lot of deals on model kits. And I haven't seen any that qualify for Prime. However, I get a lot of supplies from there. Tape, sanding sponges/sticks, blades, etc. Some really good deals there.

1 hour ago, Dave Van said:

The Revell Ford is now $25...........

Yes…but…if you do what I said in the post and scroll down to the other sellers:

IMG_0784.jpeg.a99e62e776727fa4a40da79fc69b1a75.jpeg

I think they show the $24.25 price because that particular seller is offering free delivery, but if you check the other people selling the same thing you can buy multiples at the lower price, contingent on paying $5.25 on top of whatever quantity you order…

Meh... I won't support Amazon due to their treatment of their employees. And they're stupid too. I returned an item and asked for the smaler size replacement lamp. They sent me another the same wrong size I had returned. I guess they don't know how to read carefully.

Don't get me wrong, those are good deals. I won't buy anything on Amazon, Prime or not.

• Like 2

Don't recall if I've ever bought models on Amazon.  Been a Prime customer for ages, a customer for 25+ years... great selection of household stuff, groceries through Whole Foods, and I love the Prime video channels for streaming.   Though I can find better products at my local Ace Hardware or Home Depot for some stuff, been disappointed w/ garden hoses, nozzles, etc from Amazon.

As far as how they treat employees, I’ve talked with a few recruiters from Amazon, have a couple friends that have worked for them, and it’s sort of a big company mixed with a startup mindset in their software engineering departments (where I would fit in at Amazon—their AWS systems).  Lots of long hours. They pay quite well, Silicon Valley wages…

Edited by Rob Hall

20 minutes ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Meh... I won't support Amazon due to their treatment of their employees.

Don't get me wrong, those are good deals. I won't buy anything on Amazon, Prime or not.

Yup I agree. I will not buy anything from Amazon for the same reason. The bargains are not worth it when the employees are treated so horribly. 

47 minutes ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Meh... I won't support Amazon due to their treatment of their employees. And they're stupid too. I returned an item and asked for the smaler size replacement lamp. They sent me another the same wrong size I had returned. I guess they don't know how to read carefully.

If I boycotted all corps that did something wrong or did something I do not like......I'd be hungry, cold and naked. 

Finding the one vendor I agree 100% with shortens my life.  Sometimes you hold your nose and push BUY........thx

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/4/2023 at 10:47 AM, larman said:

Interesting. I have experienced exactly the opposite.

When I order from Amazon I often receive things in boxes that could have been shipped in a bubble wrap pouch. Packaging is often dramatically oversized.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ctruss53 said:

Interesting. I have experienced exactly the opposite.

When I order from Amazon I often receive things in boxes that could have been shipped in a bubble wrap pouch. Packaging is often dramatically oversized.

I've experienced both...depends a lot on the seller... if it's one of the 3rd party sellers, the packaging is sometimes sketchy.  I got a bottle of liquid laundry detergent in a mailer bag once...was a leaky mess.

28 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

With many of the BIG online retailers.......when I ask for a return, they refund me and ask I dispose of item. Only a few times have they asked for item back......and then they send a pre-paid label. All good. 

I’ve been getting the same treatment from eBay sellers.  It’s happened a couple of times, the most recent being just last week.

Usually Amazon.ca doesn't have much in the way of bargains. I did a search for "plastic model car kits. There wasn't much on the first page, but there was a link on the bottom of the page to narrow the search to Tamiya Kit. To my surprise a Tamiya Skyline GT-R came up for $22. This is an older GT-R32, but has full engine detail. I was going to buy a couple, but was limited to only one. I need to look at Amazon more frequently now. When I placed the order it asked if I wanted it to be shipped in an Amazon box, so as not to be identifiable. No, I want the Amazon box shipping for extra protection.

6 hours ago, redscampi said:

Mr. Bezos could definitely save some money by paying for quality help. You'd think that the shipping department is staffed by poorly trained monkeys. I just don't think they give a flying flip about anything.

He has a net worth of 130-140 billion. I think he’ll be okay, and probably doesn’t care, and I don’t think he’s the CEO of Amazon anymore lol.